What's new

Sub and receiver settings - not sure on a couple (1 Viewer)

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo TX-SR703 A/V, which is connected to a 5.1 setup of PSB Image speakers, including a SubSonic subwoofer.

On the sub, I've read instructions, but I'm wondering if someone can give me a "ballpark" idea for the "Sub Cut-Off Frequency" and "Phase Control" settings. Right now they're set at 90 and 0. The volume is a tick or two past the middle.

On my receiver, there's a "Low-Pass Filter for the LFE Channel", and my choices are 80Hz, 90Hz, 100Hz or 120Hz. Right now it's set at 90Hz, since the 80Hz setting is for THX speakers, which mine are not.

Also on the receiver, there's a "Subwoofer Mode" which I've set to "Double Bass"

Should the sub's "Sub Cut-Off Frequency" and the Onkyo's "Low-Pass Filter for the LFE Channel" be set to the same number? That's why I chose 90 for both. I used the Onkyo's auto setup, which does not set these settings, by the way.

I guess it sounds OK to me - DVDs are better that HDTV's audio, but I'm wondering if someone who knows what they're doing might cringe if they heard it. Thanks!

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

If you are using the crossover in the receiver (i.e. the "low pass filter"), you should set the crossover in the sub to "off" if possible or to it's highest setting if you can't turn it off. Because crossovers are a gradual slope over a range of frequencies (instead of a "brick wall" right at 90Hz), if you have two crossovers acting on the sound at the same time, it can make the crossover too steep and result in a big nulls in the sound.

The phase control you can adjust until it sounds best. There shouldn't be much interaction between the phase of the sub and the phase of your speakers, but it may need some fine adjustment.

Joe Pick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jeff. I can't turn it off, and the highest setting is 150 (lowest is 50). Should I set it at 150? Is that what you mean?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Yes, set it at 150. This will allow the crossover in the receiver to handle the bass management without interference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks