What's new

Sub advice. AV123, HSU, SVS (1 Viewer)

klie5111

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce Kliewer
So I'm new here, but promise I have done some searching and research on my own before posting. I have about $600 to spend on a sub (it was more like $300 but it sounded like spending a few hundred more would really bump up the quality level). I'm a big bang for the buck kind of person so the Internet direct companies seem appealing. I also don't mind buying without hearing.

My room is about 18 x 19 with two doors and I'm about a 50/50 music and movies guy.

So I found the SVS pb12 nsd. Talking with their sales rep sounds like it would fill the room nicely and fits in the budget if I can find one on b-stock. I was planning on getting one of these based on the reviews from around the web, but thought I should do a bit more research to see if I was missing any gems.

I cam across the AV123 MFW-15. I can pick one of these up for about $500 on b-stock + shipping. In trying to find a review and comparison between the two subs all I come across are people comparing the mfw-15 to the svs pb12 plus, which is almost twice as much. If the mfw-15 is comparable to the pb12 plus it seems like a no brainer. What am I missing here?

Are there any other subs in this price range I should be considering? Thanks all.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I'm getting the PC12-NSD myself, next month. I can't wait! Once I get that, my system will be right, for quite awhile, I hope.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

klie5111

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce Kliewer
Nice. What else did you look at? What finally pushed you to the SVS?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For $600 you can't beat the MFW-15. Bass is all about moving air and the 12" NSD driver can't move as much air as the 15" driver in the AV123 sub. The 12" plus driver has more capablility and can hang with the 15" MFW.

But if you don't mind assembling things, Elemental Designs has a few kits that fit into your budget. In fact, for slightly above your budget, you can get two 12" kits plus amps from eD.

If you want to save even more, build your own cabinet and you can really stretch that $600. You could easily build a sub that would best the SVS Ultra. Your skills would determine how it looks and it would probably be considerably larger. If you have the tools, the time and minimal woodworking skills, DIY is a no brainer. Lacking any of the 3 and retail is a better bet.

klie5111

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce Kliewer
Thanks Robert. It looks like there were some amp issues with the mfw a while back. Is that still an issue, or have those been resolved?

I took a look at eD's site, and they have a e3.12 + port DYI kit but it's only $180 so I'm guessing doesn't come with an amp or a driver. What all else would I need and what would the total package cost? I don't think I have the woodworking skills for building a cabinet from scratch. I've done some research on this and I think it's out of my ability level. Using a cabinet diy might be an option though.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I'd stay away from the MFW and any other AV123 products at this point. The CEO was indicted for fraud and arrested last Friday. The $500,000 bail hasn't been posted for him yet. The future of that company is very much up in the air at his point.

Longmont man indicted on charity fraud chargesErica Meltzer
Posted: 02/26/2010 07:30:55 PM MST

var requestedWidth = 0;
if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } A 53-year-old Longmont man has been indicted on charges of running a charitable fraud scheme over the Internet that took in more than $180,000 from at least 707 victims.

According to a state grand jury indictment, Mark L. Schifter used the Web site of his company, Perpetual Technologies, which sells high-end audio and stereo equipment, to advertise numerous charity raffles. The Web site, www.AV123.com has an active users forum with hundreds of members around the country.

The indictment says Schifter ran at least 27 known charity raffles between October 2004 and August 2009. He would offer desirable stereo equipment as prizes and a write emotional appeals for charities ranging from the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute to the American Red Cross to The Children's Hospital of Denver. Sometimes he would solicit donations for real people who were actually sick.

According to the indictment, only $29,500 was given to the charities. Schicter kept $150,534 for himself...

......Schicter[sic] was arrested on Friday afternoon and booked into the Boulder County Jail.....

www.dailycamera.com/boulder-county-news/ci_14478154#ixzz0ghq1KH8H
You can read the indictment at...www.timescall.com/assets/pdf/022610Schifter_indictment.pdf

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by klie5111

Thanks Robert. It looks like there were some amp issues with the mfw a while back. Is that still an issue, or have those been resolved?

I took a look at eD's site, and they have a e3.12 + port DYI kit but it's only $180 so I'm guessing doesn't come with an amp or a driver. What all else would I need and what would the total package cost? I don't think I have the woodworking skills for building a cabinet from scratch. I've done some research on this and I think it's out of my ability level. Using a cabinet diy might be an option though.
I knew about the amp issue but I hear it is corrected. But the other info that was posted about Mark and his company would make me suspicious. Will they be around in a year to service your sub?

The kit comes with everything except the amp. They will even cut the hole for the amp if you ask them to. As the page says, you will need some basic tools. Clamps are the most important. A $5 bottle of glue and some paint as well.

Just a suggestion, they will do custom work. If you wanted dual sealed kits, it would save some money. Then get a small pro amp like the Behringer A500 to power both subs.

klie5111

Auditioning
Real Name
Bryce Kliewer
Given that I was about to pull the trigger on the mfw-15 the news about their CEO is making the DIY option is looking a little more interesting.

Let's say I wanted to have a sub that performed in the $600 range. If i purchased a kit and assembled it, what would that cost roughly? So something to compare with the mwf-15 or svs pb-12 nsd. Robert, can you give me any more specifics about what kind of driver, amp, etc. I would need for this project, where to find it, and the rough cost. Very interested in this route though if it can save me some money.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dual 12" kits from Elemental Designs. They are $180 each and the recommended amp is linked at the bottom of the page. They will also custom build kits for you. Call and talk to them.

Parts Express has kits as well but they are sealed subs. You won't get the low end that a MWF would provide.

The cheapest route is to build the box yourself. $50 in MDF, a 15" driver for $150 and a $150 amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks