What's new

stupid insurance companies (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I got a great quote from liberty mutual, problem is I have 1 ticket and one at fault accident, not even an accident but a claim, we won't go there..

so they have me a great price quote, until they saw all the dumbass NOT AT FAULT accidents I have. I've been rear ended TWICE in a year while stopped at a light, and they DQ me for insurance because of that. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Sucks man. If the accidents weren't your fault it shouldn't be legal to charge you more because of it. :frowning:

Tommy Ceez

Second Unit
HOW ABOUT THIS
In New York State all accidents are no fault...essentially no matter what happens YOUR 50% RESPONSIBLE!!!

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
ND is a comparative fault state, similar system but mine all happen to be 100% the other person's fault. I mean christ, I'm stopped at a light and you hit me. How in the fuck am I to avoid that?

LewB

Screenwriter
Don't stop, run the lights ! :laugh:
Only kidding !
Aren't insurance companies wonderful, you are essentially making a bet with them that something bad will happen (accident, death, illness, home theater component failure). They are happy as long as you keep losing the bet (no accidents, etc.) and keep taking your money. Then something bad happens and you need them, yes they pay but then they raise your rates or cancel you because you happened to beat the odds and actually need them to pay you a few bucks.
How do I start an insurance company ?

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Sounds pretty weak, but hey, there are a lot of insurance companies out there that want your business.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
it's rediculous.
it's to the point that it would be cheaper for me to put the 200/month into the bank every month and pay claims out of my own pocket.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Check out progressive.com . A year and a half ago I was comparing insurance rates (thinking why bother having two tickets and two accidents on my record means nobody will give me a break) but they saved me close to 50% off what Allstate was charging. As of now I'm still single with one ticket and one at fault accident but I'm paying less than my brother, who's married with no incidents. Being old (older than 25 anyway) rules :)

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
Insurance companies are the lowest form of life on earth. Period. (OK, besides Al-Queda).

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
it's to the point that it would be cheaper for me to put the 200/month into the bank every month and pay claims out of my own pocket.
Yes it would be cheaper on average by the very definition and premise under which insurance companies operate, that is making a profit. I don't think anyone would be willing to bet a few decades of their paycheck in case there is a real serious loss, even if the chances are very remote.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I have checked progressive, they're at uh, 1125 for 6 months, but the real kicker is it only goes down something like 90 dollars a YEAR when I turn 25 (july) when other companies are going down like 30%

Prentice Cotham

Supporting Actor
Did you try State Farm? I was with Progressive for a while paying $90 a month for PLPD in Michigan. Michigan has some of the highest rates in the nation if not the highest. I wanted to get full coverage but Progressive was going to charge me $225 a month for a 95 Integra and I have no tickets and no accidents (29 years old). I checked out State Farm and I was quoted $95 a month for full coverage. I switched promptly and a month later my car was stolen. Thank god I got that coverage.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'm with state farm now, they're going to cancel me I think, and I want to get out before they do. They lost a lot of $$ last year and have been cutting ay back

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Most insurance companies are like 3-card monte dealers. As long as you keep losing, they're willing to keep dealing, but when you win, they crack your skull with the Louisville Slugger they keep under the table and leave you for dead.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
A family friend. . .

Incident 1: Car gets hit in parking lot, but a note is left so the two insurance companies work it out. His rates increase.

Incident 2: While he is on vacation, a drunk driver slams into his car which is parked on the street outside his house. His rates increase.

Incident 3: While he is on vacation again (and a year later), a driver who lost control flew through his front yard and hit his car sitting in the driveway. His insurance policy is cancelled.

Poor guy had never had so much as a ticket on his record. In 2 years, he racks up 3 accidents where he was no where even NEAR the area, and he's dropped.

That's what I called f'd up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks