What's new

Straw Dogs - Criterion Collection is now Out of Print!!! (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
yes folks, you've read it right: another criterion collection dvd is going oop. the reason for that might be the release from mgm a few months back. an other reason might also be the case. but if you really want this film with extras then you have to try to get the criterion. i was lucky to get it, even i didn't know at this point it was oop, and the good news is that it just shipped a few days ago :D

straw dogs - criterion collection

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I thought it was OOP already? Back when it was released it was said to be released "for a limited time only".

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
This was one that was rather well publicized as going out of print. There was a lot of talk here about it several months ago when it was going OOP.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Enrico:

Congratulations on awakening from your coma. It will obviously take you a little while to regain your bearings. I'll offer some help:

1. Germany is now a part of something called the European Union (EU) [do a Google search for more info]
2. George W. Bush succeeded Clinton as President of the US, and was re-elected in 2004. He is the son of the first President Bush.
3. There's a war in Iraq.
4. The Beatles have broken up.
5. Elvis is dead.
6. Criterion's Straw Dogs went OOP on December 31, 2003, after much discussion and consternation.

Best of luck as you try to navigate the 21st (yes---the TWENTY-FIRST!) Century.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
whoopsy daisy - my bad ;)

anyway, consider it as an info for those who didn't know like me :D

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
and what's really odd is that people have still been ordering this from DDD for under $20 as of a week ago (under $20 with the 20% sale currently).

anybody that still needs to pick up this beauty should give them a shot first

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It's actually been back in print for several months now.

It's been on shelf at most local retailers in abundance.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Are you sure it's back in print or are the retailers just emptying their backlogged stock?

Unless of course Criterion made a deal with MGM/Sony....possible I suppose but you would think we would have heard news of this before now.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
It is not back in print, apparently what happened was a distributor found some product and it got out to a few suppliers recently, Criterion has not announced that this is back in print because they only had the rights to it for 1 year, and that year was 2003.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Strange, I've seen DOZENS in stock at local retailers around my city. The first time I happened upon these on shelf, I jumped! I hadn't purchased a copy yet and immediately snatched it up and brought it to the counter... than I noticed about 4 or 5 more copies stacked up nearby. I asked the store clerk about these since I was under the impression that they all went out of print. I asked whether they just found a bunch of leftover stock at their warehouse or something and put them on shelf or what was the deal. They were heavily discounted too. He told me that they went out of print for a few months and they were hard to come by but than Criterion somehow reattained the distribution rights and that they were back in circulation. I took his word for it, since it was a specialty art-house type movie store and the clerksseem to know their stuff. In the months since, there hasn't been a single retailer that I've walked into where I HADN'T seen this title on the racks in the Criterion section! I can attest to the fact that both Metro Video and Boite Noir in Montreal along with DVD Passion have many copies still selling and all for under $30 CAN. I just assumed this being the case, that the sets were back in print. Even for a non-Criterion release, that price is a huge bargain for a 2-disc set! Generally when a title goes out of print or becomes discontinued (Criterion Hitchcock box, Once Upon A Time In Italy box, Blue Underground Spaghetti Western box, Toy Story & Fantasia box sets) from my experience retailers will totally jack up the prices on leftover stock because they know the value has just gone up ten fold! I'm not 100% positive that Straw Dogs Criterion is back in print, but based on all recent indications... it certainly looks that way!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks