What's new

Strange Zone Alarms flag (1 Viewer)

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi everyone,

I keep getting this flag from Zone Alarms, that a program is trying to send a clear text password when I try to open some web pages. For instance, it will say that Microsoft Windows (TM) Messaging Subsystem Spooler or some other program is trying to send "eBay password" to the web address I'm trying to launch, and asks me "yes or no" if I want to send it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the websites, and most of them are highly legit - such as the Houston Chronicle (the local newspaper), and even a popluar home theater forum. The bizzare thing is, I don't even have my eBay password stored on my computer! It's not even cookied on eBay.

Tonight I get the Zone Alarms flag whenever I open Outlook, and it says the website "requesting" the password is my e-mail server (of all things). When the flag appears, the computer is dead in the water, and responds to nothing. Can't launch a program like Word or Excel or even the Explorer web browser. The Zone Alarms flag does not respond to the No" icon. Everything works fine until I launch Outlook, and but when that flag appears, the computer is dead in the water. It won't even respond to a shut down or re-start command.

The million dollar question, does anyone have any idea what is going on here? I'm tempted to just hit the "yes" icon when the Zone Alarm flag appears, just to see what it will do, especially since I don't think my e-mail server (or the Houston Chronicle) has any use for my eBay password, and especially since I don't have it stored on my computer.

Thanks,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Sounds like you need to update/rollback/reinstall Zone Alarm, to me. Has anybody ever heard of a firewall being hijacked? If this thing hasn't succumbed to a malicious attack, I'd say it has just flipped out.

DaveNel

Second Unit
That is hackers trying to get cookies and cream out of your cookie jar. better get the updates and reinstall zone alarm.
then reset all the components.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks