What's new

Hardware Review NEST Thermostat with Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Integration: A Review (1 Viewer)

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
donald.quix said:
A little off topic but this is an interesting article about remote monitoring I read recently. Any thoughts?

http://www.control4.com/blog/2014/07/remote-monitoring-peace-of-mind-on-your-next-vacation
We have a 12-camera surveillance system on our home that can be monitored via computer or smartphone or tablet. The ability to check on the house while away on a trip is a terrific feature and makes us feel a lot better about leaving the house for extended periods. I have the system configured to push me an email when specific cameras detect motion. That email contains a couple of snapshot photos of the camera's view. So, if someone is at our front door (for example), I know about it in 20 seconds or so, from anywhere in the world (where I have an internet connection for my iPhone).

Frankly, I can't imagine NOT having such a system installed on our home.

Mark

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Revisiting an old thread...

Consumers Energy was offering some instant rebate pricing on different programmable thermostats, so I bit the bullet and bought a Nest Thermostat E for $99. I had been doing some research into WiFi enabled thermostats, but a lot of them require a C wire for power, which we do not have. This one does not, and with the rebate was less expensive than any other WiFi thermostat I could find.

Installation was quite similar to what Ron described. Like him, I was a little intimidated doing the install myself, but it was pretty simple. The only minor confusion I had was with the wiring. The link in the printed instructions to verify compatibility with our heating/cooling system showed the Nest was compatible with our setup, which had both the Rh and Rc terminals connected to wires. However, the instructions on the website after I setup an account said the model was not compatible -- I ended up telling it I just had a R wire, since the Rc and Rh terminals were just connected via a jumper cable.

So far the unit seems to work fine -- both the furnace and air conditioner turned on. I found setting up a schedule easier via the website instead of via my Samsung Galaxy G8 smartphone, but I was able to duplicate the schedule we had for our old programmable thermostat, which was not WiFi enabled. Providing access to our Amazon Echo devices and Kasa lighting app was also pretty simple.

I mainly wanted this type of device for when we travel. I always either turn down the heat or shut off the air conditioner when we leave, and in the past relied on our neighbor to come over to our house on the day we are returning from vacation to adjust our thermostat so it's not either too cold (in the winter) or too hot (in the summer) in the house when we get home. Now I can make the adjustment myself from my phone.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Everyone still happy with their Nest thermostats? :D

I'm thinking of making the jump...but admittedly have not yet checked the wiring on my old thermostat for compatibility. I live in a 110-year old home (without AC). So I've got an old furnace and old wiring.

But assuming I can find a compatible model, I'm thinking of adding both a Nest thermostat and a Nest Video Doorbell (at my wife's urging).

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

I'm thinking of making the jump...but admittedly have not yet checked the wiring on my old thermostat for compatibility. I live in a 110-year old home (without AC). So I've got an old furnace and old wiring.

But assuming I can find a compatible model, I'm thinking of adding both a Nest thermostat and a Nest Video Doorbell (at my wife's urging).

Love mine, Mike. I have an older condo...certainly not 100+ years, but about 30ish years old. The install was super easy for me: took the old thermostat down, hooked the wires up to the Nest and got it on the wall. I'm also thinking of the video doorbell and an electronic lock, but those will be 2019 bells and whistles.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ooooh! I just found out they've got something called a "Nest Temperature Sensor" which you can stick in a remote location to act as your thermometer for your heating/cooling system. This will be GREAT for me as my thermostat is located less than a foot away from my 55" Plasma (which throws a LOT of heat). I am forever tinkering with my thermostat at night while watching TV. THAT could be a BIG help! :thumbsup:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Ooooh! I just found out they've got something called a "Nest Temperature Sensor" which you can stick in a remote location to act as your thermometer for your heating/cooling system. This will be GREAT for me as my thermostat is located less than a foot away from my 55" Plasma (which throws a LOT of heat). I am forever tinkering with my thermostat at night while watching TV. THAT could be a BIG help! :thumbsup:

Here's a recent picture I took of Pete watching TV. You can see my current old, hard-to-read programmable thermostat located on the wall behind the TV and next to the archway molding.

That plasma set throws a LOT of heat at that thermostat.

full

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

Mine has only been installed for less than two months, but so far it has been working fine. I like the feature where it automatically goes into "away" mode based on my phone's location, so it turns down the thermostat even if I forget before we leave. I'm not in the habit of turning it back into "we are at home" mode while traveling, though. I remembered to do that on our way home from South Carolina earlier this month, but forgot when returning from northern Michigan on Thanksgiving weekend. Our house was still cold when we came in, but that's my fault.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Here's a recent picture I took of Pete watching TV. You can see my current old, hard-to-read programmable thermostat located on the wall behind the TV and next to the archway molding.

That plasma set throws a LOT of heat at that thermostat.

full

Mike, that must cause all kinds of havoc with keeping a desired temperature in your home! That remote temp sensor sounds like just the cure.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
I've had the Nest and liked it but now have the Ecobee and like it better. I use three different remote temp sensors throughout the house and keep one in the smart closet just for monitoring. The temp sensors detect motion and keep the temp in the room it detects motion in at the desired setting.

I would remove the cover on old thermostat, take a picture and then go online to read the owner's manual for the thermostat you are thinking about buying. This way you can compare what wires you have and if it will work.

Brian

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
One function I used on my old non-WiFi thermostat that is not available on the Nest E is a "hold temperature" feature, where you could lock the current thermostat setting to override the programmed schedule. I would use this when my elderly parents come to stay with us, as my dad gets cold so I could keep the thermostat from lowering the temperature at night without altering the programming. Once my parents left, I could just deactivate the "hold temp" function and the thermostat would resume it's set programming.

Without this function, I will either have to adjust the programming for each day they stay with us and reprogram the Nest when they leave, or remember to manually turn the temperature back up each night after 10pm, which is when I have the thermostat programmed to drop the temperature setting.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My current thermostat (which is about 30 years old) has the ability to temporarily re-set the temp...but it only "holds" until the next scheduled temp change in the programming. That was a commonly-used feature because with the TV on after dinner I would need to bump up the temperature for the room to stay warm (because of that proximity to my plasma). It would then automatically bounce down to my low overnight setting around 11pm.

I AM curious to see how the (learning) Nest deals with such stuff. It should be a lot easier with that remote sensor. THE IDEA of that thing has me really stoked about this entire prospect!

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love our Nest as much as I did in the beginning. I don’t know how long we’ve had it, but in the vernacular of the kids it’s been a minute. I think it will work great in the situations you are describing, Mike.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Installed my Nest thermostat today (Santa had put it under the Christmas tree--along with a Nest "Hello" doorbell). What an easy installation!

Too early to report on the "learning" aspect of the device. But I can immediately report that the remote sensor is working like a dream. No more adjusting the thermostat way up simply because the thermostat is positioned too close to my plasma. I've got the sensor located on the other side of the room...near where Peg and I sit. Looking forward to becoming familiar with it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Congrats on your NEST thermostat and doorbell.

I can only speak for the thermostat as my doorbell is a RING.

You should definitely get an echo device. It allows you to say "Alexa, set temperature to 72 degrees" and off your NEST goes.

I am sure you downloaded the app for your smartphone or tablet.

Very happy with my NEST after all this time. It's a great thermostat.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I don’t know if this has already been covered, but under a program for energy conservation,(since discontinued), here in Ontario, we got our Nest Thermostat free. It was also installed free of charge.

We were going to get one ourselves, but apparently it was not-compatable with our old furnace. We recently had to buy a new one, and when we found out about the program we took advantage of it.

We are very satisfied with it after about a year of use.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You should definitely get an echo device. It allows you to say "Alexa, set temperature to 72 degrees" and off your NEST goes.

While I did setup the Alexa skill for my Nest thermostat when I first installed the Nest, I have yet to actually find the need tell our Echo devices to adjust the temperature. Just having the unit programmed on a set schedule when we are home works for us. When we leave, the Nest adjusts its temperature to my "away" setting automatically based on the location of my phone, and adjusts back to the "home" setting when we return. I did need to remember to turn that feature off recently when I traveled to northern Michigan to pick up my elderly parents and drive them back to our house for Christmas, as well as the return trip to take them back home (my wife didn't ride along on either 6 hour round trip).

I mentioned earlier that the Nest E lacks the "hold temperature" function that my old programmable thermostat provided. So, when my parents were staying with us over the holiday, I ended up adjusting the night time temperature in the schedule for each night they were at our house (my dad's been in poor health, so we didn't want him getting cold). I then reprogrammed the schedule after taking them home. I find adjusting the schedule much easier via the website than with the app on my phone.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We would like to have a Nest doorbell installed. Our problem is that a few years ago we installed a cheap wireless one. Seeing no need for the old box inside, I removed it and puttied up the hole when I repainted the wall. Now we need these wires! I am going to find a professional to do the job.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I looked hard at the Nest a few years ago, researching its features and benefits. My conclusion, was that for people (like me) with a fairly regular routine, the best value and easiest system was a low cost (~$50) programmable digital thermostat that allows daily programming, with separate Heat and Cool schedules. Set the heating and cooling schedules, and on/off times and target temperatures for morning, afternoon, and night for for weekday and weekend schedule, and never think about it again. If you're having to manually tell your thermostat to turn up or down to be comformtable, IMO you're doing it the hard and inefficient way. :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I looked hard at the Nest a few years ago, researching its features and benefits. My conclusion, was that for people (like me) with a fairly regular routine, the best value and easiest system was a low cost (~$50) programmable digital thermostat that allows daily programming, with separate Heat and Cool schedules. Set the heating and cooling schedules, and on/off times and target temperatures for morning, afternoon, and night for for weekday and weekend schedule, and never think about it again. If you're having to manually tell your thermostat to turn up or down to be comformtable, IMO you're doing it the hard and inefficient way. :)
I was content with our older programmable thermostat for many years, too, as our schedule when home is very routine as well. However, since retiring, my wife and I spend a lot more time away from home traveling than in the past. Having the ability to remotely turn the air conditioner back on so we do not encounter a house like an oven when returning home in the summer (or kick the furnace up remotely in the winter) is a nice perk. The past two summers I actually texted my neighbor and had him turn the A/C back on when we were heading home -- now I don't have to rely on him (and he's retired and not always home, either).

The Nest E was a good value -- I was able to get one for under $100 after a substantial rebate from our local natural gas utility (Consumers Energy). Our old programmable thermostat cost $35 many years ago -- it was provided and installed by the contractor when we replaced our furnace.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks