1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware Review NEST Thermostat with Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Integration: A Review

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 13, 2014.

1. donald.quix

donald.quix Auditioning

Donald
  2. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

We have a 12-camera surveillance system on our home that can be monitored via computer or smartphone or tablet. The ability to check on the house while away on a trip is a terrific feature and makes us feel a lot better about leaving the house for extended periods. I have the system configured to push me an email when specific cameras detect motion. That email contains a couple of snapshot photos of the camera's view. So, if someone is at our front door (for example), I know about it in 20 seconds or so, from anywhere in the world (where I have an internet connection for my iPhone).

Frankly, I can't imagine NOT having such a system installed on our home.

Mark

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Revisiting an old thread...

Consumers Energy was offering some instant rebate pricing on different programmable thermostats, so I bit the bullet and bought a Nest Thermostat E for $99. I had been doing some research into WiFi enabled thermostats, but a lot of them require a C wire for power, which we do not have. This one does not, and with the rebate was less expensive than any other WiFi thermostat I could find.

Installation was quite similar to what Ron described. Like him, I was a little intimidated doing the install myself, but it was pretty simple. The only minor confusion I had was with the wiring. The link in the printed instructions to verify compatibility with our heating/cooling system showed the Nest was compatible with our setup, which had both the Rh and Rc terminals connected to wires. However, the instructions on the website after I setup an account said the model was not compatible -- I ended up telling it I just had a R wire, since the Rc and Rh terminals were just connected via a jumper cable.

So far the unit seems to work fine -- both the furnace and air conditioner turned on. I found setting up a schedule easier via the website instead of via my Samsung Galaxy G8 smartphone, but I was able to duplicate the schedule we had for our old programmable thermostat, which was not WiFi enabled. Providing access to our Amazon Echo devices and Kasa lighting app was also pretty simple.

I mainly wanted this type of device for when we travel. I always either turn down the heat or shut off the air conditioner when we leave, and in the past relied on our neighbor to come over to our house on the day we are returning from vacation to adjust our thermostat so it's not either too cold (in the winter) or too hot (in the summer) in the house when we get home. Now I can make the adjustment myself from my phone.