1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Hardware Review NEST Thermostat with Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Integration: A Review

Discussion in 'Home Automation, Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Ronald Epstein, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Sure did. It's amazing how nice the Thermostat, doorbell/camera and app work in consort!

Although, the thermostat dumped off the wi-fi for a while today (about 4-5 hours). I double-checked our wifi and it was as strong as normal. And, it ended up reconnecting itself without any adjustment or effort on my part. Does anyone else ever have this happen?

Yeah. I ordered mine from my utility as they were having a great deal--a sale plus another rebate on top of that. I ordered the doorbell from the utility, too.

I now have to get some more of the paint we used on our living room wall as the Nest thermostat is a lot smaller than my big old rectangle programmable thermostat. This is okay...because I have a couple other spots I need to touch up, too. :D

2. Message #42 of 48 Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    How does the doorbell coordinate with the thermostat? Does it recognize your in-laws and turn the temperature down uncomfortably low so they don’t stay too long? :D

3. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Fingers crossed.

They do, after all, call it a "learning thermostat."

4. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    Random NEST story...

My ex asked me to install the thermostat at his condo over the weekend. After taking his old thermostat apart, we realized he has a wall unit that is not compatible with a NEST. His wires are far too big; it's something I never considered. My place is older than his and I didn't have a problem with mine. Suffice to say he doesn't have a NEST up and won't be able to have one.

Moral: check your wires...

5. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    We had a similar problem until we had to get a new furnace. Apparently Nest needs 3 wires to function, but our old system only sent 2 to the thermostat.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Nope. I've only got two wires to my furnace and the Nest (Learning, 3rd. Gen.) works fine.

They have compatibility walk-throughs on their website (easy-to-use) to make sure your heating/cooling system works with the Nest. Wall units and 110+ volt systems are among those which are no gos. Thick, stranded wiring is also, IIRC, not acceptable.

7. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    That was the problem, Mike. The wires were connected with electrical nuts and the wire was way too big. This, honestly, never occurred to me.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Yeah. To be honest about it, I purchased mine without doing the compatibility check first and issued a huge sigh of relief when I confirmed that my system was okay (and that's in a 100 year old house--with original wiring--and the original hot-water/radiator furnace!!!).

The furnace is a HUGE monstrosity in my basement that was originally coal-fired. It was later converted to oil burning and then converted to gas-burning. When I purchased the home, the guy who came to check out my furnace for me said "you know how they use the phrase "energy-efficient" in terms of units like this? NOT with this one!" :D

But it now has a state-of-the-art blue-tooth thermostat controlling it. :rolleyes:

Scott Merryfield likes this.