What's new

Strange damage to CDs? (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, everyone

I'm becoming very upset over this. I've had many, many Cd's that have gotten a strange kind of damage below the surface. It looks like tiny clusters of holes in the metal part of the CD. I haven't caused this. Many of these Cd's, I won't play for months, and then I come back to them, and, low and behold, I can't play the damn things. This is very irritating. Does anyone know what causes this and what can be done to prevent it. I've replaced Cd's far too many times due to this kind of thing, and I'm tired of it. I own triples of much of my collection, and it's not because I need a copy for several different places. Agh...I'm sorry if I'm ranting, but I just discovered that my Tool: Salival set and my four disc Stevie Ray Vaughan and Alice in Chains sets have this, and I'm incensed. Thanks for any light you can shed on this issue for me.

Rob

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
That's strange. I've been collecting CDs for 13 years now and have never lost one to any kind of damage. BTW, Robert, what part of this great state are you from?

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi, Jeff

I'm from Clarksdale, MS. It's about 60 miles south of Memphis, so I'm about 60 miles from you, as well. I know Olive Branch fairly well. I'm a student at Millsaps College, so I live in Jackson, MS during the school year. Thanks for your response to my post. How do you store your CD's? I keep mine in Case Logic CD notebooks, and I'm wondering if that may have something to do with my problem. Thanks again for the response.

Rob

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There have been many posts on pinholes that are easily found using the search function.

I'm no pinhole expert, but I suspect that if they are noticably increasing over time you have one or more of the following factors.

Crappy laquer/protective layers on CD
High temperature
High humidity
High content of salt and other corrosives in the air

But I have seen many CDs have them right out of the box.

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
High temp and humidity, yes, definitely, it's the South after all. But I've never seen these conditions cause any damage with mine. I keep my CDs in the jewel case and most of the time they stay in the house, though I do have some in the car and they're still like new. What gets me is, how does this happen unless there are imperfections in the plastic coating of the disc to begin with. Robert, did you purchase these CDs used or new? And I'd be pissed, too, if my Stevie Ray Vaughn set was screwed up.:D

Nick L

Second Unit
This is a good reason to make backup copies of your originals. When you buy a cd you are basically buying one license for all the songs on that disc. I would imagine with some convincing the people that make the cd would replace it with a new copy. If not it would be perfectly legal for you to download all of the songs on the cd's off of the internet, since you legally own a license.

Nick L

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks