Yikes. Someone broke into my car last night.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam Tyner, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

When I trotted outside this morning to head to work, I thought it was kind of strange when I put my key in the lock and didn't feel the sort of resistance I'm used to when turning. Around then, I noticed that one of the little 'vent' windows had been smashed and used to open the doors. They took 7 CDs (if you're curious, and I know you're not -- Smeared and Pretty Together by Sloan, Gilded Stars and Zealous Hearts by Velocity Girl, Heads Are Gonna Roll by the Hippos, Lincoln by They Might Be Giants, and Return of the Rentals and 7 More Minutes by the Rentals), a booklet full of CD-Rs (99% from eMusic, and I have still have the majority of the original mp3s), and my stereo. I'm amazed they'd bother. My stereo is pretty cheap, and my car -- a '96 Kia Sephia -- doesn't strike me as a theft magnet. Hmm.
    My biggest fear was that in the process of taking out the stereo, the robber might've messed up some other wires or something. I'd hate to be driving around and somehow inadvertently spark an electrical fire. Other damage was minimal -- just that one vent window, and though the robber used a screwdriver to remove some of the screws on the faceplate covering the stereo, once it was loose, he just tore it off. As a result, some of the plastic where the screws would go have been stripped so heavily that it's not going to snap back on very easily...or at least, not with the same level of support it had before. (I'm doing a really bad job of explaining what I mean by 'faceplate', but I mean the big plastic thing that covers my AC controls, stereo, goes across part of my dash, etc. Not that that explanation was any better, but oh well.)
    So, I call up the local Kia dealership after the cops leave (no prints, not surprisingly) and ask if they could take a look at it just to make sure there aren't any extreme problems that could cause severe damage. They told me to call a collision repair shop. Puzzled, I stopped by the service center, thinking that perhaps I hadn't explained myself well on the phone. Again, I'm pointed to the collision center, despite expressly saying that I was concerned about electrical issues and that there wasn't any damage to the body of the car.
    But regardless, I head to the collision center. They tell me that I'm in the wrong place (no kidding). They also say that they can't do any of the necessary repairs themselves and that I should contact my insurance company. I was reluctant to contact Allstate before, knowing that I had a $250 deductible in case of theft/related and that repairs almost certainly wouldn't hit that number. Since my policy with Allstate is based in Charleston and I'm currently in Greenville, they were nice enough to help me out and give me the address of the local agent.
    Unfortunately (whoops!), they gave me the address to the corporate offices or whatever. They, obviously, would not be able to provide an estimate. I'm given a fourth address to go to.
    When I arrive at the offices of a local Allstate agent, the woman in the front bitches at me for not having an appointment. I wasn't told I needed an appointment. Of course, she gripes the entire time, and I still have no idea what the hell I'm doing. She says I have to file a claim, even though I'd prefer to find out if it would even be worthwhile to do so. I go through the process, and I'm given a claim number. I ask if I would hear back in time to get my window replaced today, and I'm told no. However, I have been instructed to "cover the window". Classy. I always wanted to be one of those awesome people with a plastic bag or whatever in the place of a window. I'd like to just stop at one of those glass places myself and have it done, but I wasted enough of my working day on this, and everyone keeps telling me I need to hear back from my insurance company before doing anything along those lines.
    Anyway, although I'm bothered by the theft, getting things straightened is so much of a hassle that, if the robber(s) had asked and I know what I know now, I would've been willing to just open my damn car door myself and let him take whatever he wanted.
    Thanks for letting me vent. [​IMG]

2. Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer Lead Actor

Chuck Mayer
    Been there. Twice.

Fortunately, my insurance was good, but my deductible was the same cost as the repair, so I ate it. I don't keep much of value in my car anymore. Sorry to hear it.

Take care,

Chuck

3. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

That sucks, Adam. My suggestion is to keep everything out of plain view. My wife has had her car burgled twice because she left her purse on the passenger seat. After I set her straight about the method these crooks employ, she keeps all things of value out of sight and has not had any trouble.

My friend Jim left $3 and change in his cup holder and the thief cut open the canvas soft top to his Celica. It cost him about $1203 and change!

Hope this never happens to you again.

Jason

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I once had my car broken into. Apparently, it was someone "practicing" their hotwiring skills. They ruined my door lock and broke my steering column. And they hit about 3-4 cars up the block. I suppose you have to learn somewhere.

Anyway.. my car, '88 Dodge Omni, was white with a blue interior. I went to the bone yard for a replacement steering wheel and all they had was a red one. So, I looked rather patriotic with my red-white-blue decor. I always wanted to paint Captain America on the front hood, but wound up trading it in for a mini-van. >sigh<

Thats my story.

5. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Ugh. I just got done with this whole hassle.

My advice: Keep a cheery outlook. Going thru the repair/insurance thing can be an insane maze of nonsense.

Some kids pried the door of my Stratus (who steals DODGES?!) open in the wee hours right in front of my house [I did the whole "where DID I park?" thing the next morning, standing in the street beeping my beeper to try to hear my car somewhere, anywhere...] and went a'joyridin', only to discover... Well, I work at Polk Audio. It was a LOTTO win for these jackoffs. Cops caught em, found the car, one day later, eight blocks away. $2500 in damage. Wheels crushed, equipment ripped out, etc etc.

State Farm was really awesome, and so was my car dealer who did the repairs very well.

Two days in court, and the kid got, what?, probation.

I was standing next to the state's attorney as the judge said, "Probation," and he said to me: "That's it, you can go."

"That's it?" I said. "No death penalty?"

"Next time," he said.

Now I have something I never thought I'd have: a car alarm.

I wish you well, and am sorry for your lose and the hassle of it all.

MC

6. Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish Supporting Actor

My Honda Civic was broken into about a year ago. Funny story, considering I have an alarm with ignition kill, and I was on a blind date.
    We went to a desert place for about an hour, shared a slice of cake, had a nice conversation, and decided to head back to my car so we could drive somewhere to play some pool.
    On our way back to the car, I notice that the hood of my car is angled slightly up, as if it's open. As we get closer, I notice that the hood of the car is in fact open. I suddenly realize what's going on, and looking in through the driver side window I notice that my glove compartment is wide open and the contents are strewn all over the car.
    I try to unarm my car with the remote, but it doesn't work. I manually get into my car, and try to start it, but it won't do that either. Apparently the thieves jimmied the door open, popped the hood, circumvented the alarm by pulling a cable off the battery, and proceeded to do their nasty need.
    So at this point I'm pretty frustrated, pissed off and embarassed. I'm successfully maintaining my composure, but I'm guessing that my date is probably thinking she'd probably be somewhere else having unnecessary surgery.
    I check the car, and the only thing the thieves had taken were my gym bag (with clean clothes inside), and an old sweater from my trunk. I had a CD-Player under the seat which was still there.
    So we adjourn to a nearby pub, where I call the autoclub and wait for them to arrive. I'm not quite sure what they theives have done to my car, and I'm not about to start tinkering while on a date. When the autoclub guy shows up, I explain the situation and he reconnects the battery no problem. My car starts, it's running fine, and we can continue on our date having only missed about 45 minutes of the evening due to the small "delay".
    As we're leaving the parking lot, the autoclub guy pulls up next to me, and gets out of his truck with my gymbag and sweater in hand. He hands them back to me, wishes me a good evening, and drives away. Turns out that the theives just weren't satisfied with my sweats, underwear, and sweater and just left them lying in the parking lot.
    So in essence, they broke into my car for nothing. But at least we had something to talk about for the rest of the evening!
    Anyway, the date went ok, led to one more and that was it. I am of course extremely paranoid about people breaking into my car these days though.
    Thieves suck. But at least in my case they didn't take anything.
    Regards,
    Moe.

7. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

I had my last car broken into less than a month after I got it back in 1994. I probably wasn't in my mom's house for 10 minutes and when I went back out, the driver's side lock had been pulled (damaging the door, of course) and my stereo had been yanked out. Had a $500 deductible at the time, which was tough to swallow. I reduced my deductible afterwards to $100 and it was a good thing too. My car roof was keyed up shortly afterwards.
    In both instances, I was grateful to have State Farm. They were prompt in scheduling me an appointment at one of their claims centers. The people I know that have Allstate have been jerked around by them.
    Another good thing: Since I didn't mention where I was taking the car to be repaired, State Farm cut me a check both times for the estimated cost of the repairs, less the deductible. In both instances, their estimates were higher than the actual repair costs. So I was able to apply the dollars "saved" toward the money I shelled out for the deductible. [​IMG]

8. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

A friend has had the Radio stolen out of his vehicle several times. Seems they always reach under the dash and grab the back of the radio case to rip it out/ Hmmmm.....told my friend to crazy glue several Single Edge Razor Blades to the case at the point that they grab. [​IMG]
    A month or so went by and he stopped by the house to show me the inside of his car........ radio was missing,but that poor little boy that took the radio, Bled heavily !!!! Cop followed the trail of blood for a block or so and lost track[​IMG] ( cop contacted the local emergency room to see if they Stiched anyone recently, but nothing that matched that type of injury).
    Hasn't had any stloen since.....
    Do I feel bad for that thief..?? Hell NO !!

9. Jim__B

Jim__B Stunt Coordinator

My Camaro was broken into in 1998 in my first night at my new apartment. I had the top of the line Pioneer in there, they got that, they even knew that it had a remote and took that it was in the glove box. I was happy that they did such a nice job in taking it out of the dash no damage at all. They actually did not take all my CD's just select ones which was wierd. My insurance was good got 80% of the value of the stereo back.

10. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Hey Doug. Nowadays, you do that & get sued by the theif [​IMG]
    P.S. Hello from South Bend

11. EugeneR

EugeneR Second Unit

It's always best to get ripped off by a pro. I've had a car broken into twice, once it was stolen and recovered a couple of days later after an apparent joyride. Some damage, but nothing major. The second time, the guy who broke in only took...my steering wheel! Apparently, for the airbag. But he did a real nice job--the wheel was gone, but nothing was broken or even scratched. He actually locked the door after he was done! So if you get a choice--always go with the pro.

12. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

This little exchange from Pulp Fiction pretty much explains how I feel about it...
    VINCENT: Tell me about it. I had the g*ddamn thing in storage three years. It's out five f*ckin' days -- five days, and some d*ckless piece of sh*t fucks with it.
    LANCE: They should be f*ckin' killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution.
    VINCENT: I just wish I caught 'em doin' it, ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been worth his doin' it, if I coulda just caught 'em, you know what I mean?
    LANCE: It's chicken sh*t. You don't f*ck with another man's vehicle.
    -Steve

13. DougRuss

DougRuss Stunt Coordinator

14. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

Feels like bad luck posting in here since I've never had my car broken into (knock on wood).
    But insurance...man, I had to dance with them last October when some kid hit my car. I'll spare everyone the story. But at least now you get to be "That Guy" with a plastic window, at least for a few days...
    That seriously sucks though. Stupid people. [​IMG]
    JQ

15. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

They took Sloan's Pretty Together??!! Ah man...that is a tuff loss![​IMG]
    I had my car broken into several years back...they got a nice Kenwood cassette deck, 10 disc changer, and a Bazooka sub. All totaled about $1100. I got it all back through my insurance company (Nationwide)...quick and easy.
    It is getting so most everyone has had their car broken into anymore.