What's new

Str-de985 (1 Viewer)

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone own this unit, and if so what are your opinions or experiences. Trying to find out how good of a receiver the 985 is.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Brian:

I own 3 receivers, an NAD, an H/K and a Sony 835, from 3 or 4 years ago. Despite the knocks this thing gets on this board and on audioreview.com it does a very servicable job for home theater and, with decent speakers, is not bad at all for music. As most other Sony's, it's incredibly tweakable, which helps overcome some of its shortcomings.

Sure, Sony DE's take their lumps here, but as a mass-market piece they're not as bad as you might think. This is a very discriminating community, and its views do not necessarily reflect those of thousands of other (satisfied) home theater owners that have chosen Sony receivers.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend who owns that very receiver. Its a very powerful unit. Has good sound quality. What I worry about is, the new receivers are they as powerful as the older models.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks