What's new

Storage? To those with 200+ DVDs (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to post my happiness with my new Billy bookcase from IKEA. $79 cheap. Holds around 250. Can add 2 more shelves (about 50 per shelf) for minimal cost. Looks nice. Check it out at their website or catalog, it's like their most popular item I think. I got the light colored wood version (birch?).

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
When we built our family room (1986), we bought four, 6' high Oak Bookshelves and lined them up on the left channel surround side wall. So, when my original storage CD/Video rack overflowed w/DVD's, I just pick one of the Bookshelves (click link below) to consolidate & store my DVD's (approx. 320).
Oak Bookshelf picture
Just in case you're wondering , ...Yes - I can remove the bottom DVD without the top one falling into the open space! ;)
My original DVD collection 1998 goal was to only purchase Dolby Digital-5.1 encoded DVD Movies that I liked, and rent all other DPL/mono encoded DVD's, if we wanted to see it. That 'goal' satisfied and met the all-very-important WAF scenario. Eventually, I did buy some DPL & mono encoded DVD's, usually 'classic' titles, as the discount $5 / $15 / $20 / $25 off coupons and internet sales raged during 1999 / 2000.
Phil

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Levi- I found something that I like even better than the binders. I had all of my CDs in binders and was looking to do the same thing with my DVDs, but as you've noticed the DVD binders tend to be rather expensive.
So I looked on the web to see what options were available. I found a company called Univenture that makes CD sleeves. The CD sleeves cost only about 14 cents each in quantity (multiples of 500). I use the "modified jewel sleeve". They work fine for CDs and single sided DVDs, but I don't use them for double sided DVDs. For the double sided discs, I use the Univenture archival sleeve, as it has two layers of the "safety sleeve" material, so you can sandwich the discs between the two layers. These archival sleeves are somewhat more expensive, but I use them ONLY for the double sided DVDs. Both sleeves have a pocket in the back, and the archival sleeve has an extra pocket in the front.
Again, these sleeves are individual sleeves, so you'll need a box to store them in. They also sell the box for roughly $3, and it holds about 80 or so discs. For CDs, I store the booklet with the disc. For DVD, I store the cover and any liner notes in a separate binder, alphabetized by title. For Warner titles or any other titles in the cardboard boxes, I print a full-page report using DVD Profiler.
Using this system, I currently store my 140 or so DVDs in two boxes, which are basically the size of shoeboxes. Although I've kept all my DVD boxes just in case, I can't imagine ever using them again, as they just take up too much space. And they're MUCH cheaper than the binders. Not an elegant solution, perhaps, but economical and functional.
You can look on their web site at www.univenture.com for more information.
Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
Steve K.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Rob,

I hate to burst your bubble, but I also own the Sauder media cabinets that you can get for $100 at Lowes. Two of them, in fact. And they're falling apart. I've got them filled to capacity, and the base has been slowly bending inwards, making it unstable. Also, the weight of the DVDs on the doors has made them bend, and they no longer close properly (they bottom of the door rubs on the base). I've had one for a year, and another for a year and a half. I can't really recommend them anymore.

We're cleaning out a large hall closet in our house, and putting in 8" shelving. I plan on moving all of the dvds and cds to those shelves.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
am getting some sleeve style drawers made 3x3 access.

space for 1,000 discs per drawer (9,000).

$1,000 for 9 drawers (expandable)

$12.50x4 per drawer filing unit (fits 250 discs per unit)

$40 for 250 sleeves

existing 2,500 discs (2.5 years) can fit in top row of drawers (cost $1,550 initially); so I should be set for another 6.5 years - just have to add sleeves and filing units.

James_M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James
Has anyone here ever worried about the DVDs you place on the higher rack falling down? That's always one of my biggest fears and I have one of those 3 foot high, six inch deep three-bar slanted DVD racks. I've dropped AOL giveaways from that height onto my wood floor and the spindle cracked . We're still waiting for the big quake in LA. ;)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
In addition to the Ivar mentioned above, Ikea also has the Skara wall-mounted media shelf unit which is pretty good. I had one when I lived in the states. Holds 300+ and is probably around US$75; not sure if they still carry them there. You can get them in the UK definitely for I think £45.

I'd consider buying a couple again, but I'm not sure about mounting on plaster walls (just used molly bolts for drywall), and I think I'd prefer floor-standing furniture. Right now I have no storage solution; I'm just thinking of getting bookcases with more shelves.

Levi Wallach

Auditioning
SteveK, thanks for the tip. I may yet do that. I was also considering another option. Caselogic sells a 10-sleeve pack that is supposed to be a supplement to their 40-disk album. These retail for over $10, so over $1/sleeve! But I have found a source on the web that sells them for $6.50 each. So what I was thinking was getting about 15 of these to start for $97 and then getting a huge three-ring binder that fits them and try storing all my disks in that one binder. Is this insane? You think it will be impossible to fit 150 dvd's in one binder? I figure with all the doubles I have, it will amount to close to that, maybe even a bit more...

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Levi- I don't think you'll be able to fit 150 DVDs in a single binder. Any DVD page I've seen holds only two DVDs, which means 75 pages. With the inserts and DVDs, 75 pages would be quite thick. If you can find a page that holds 4 DVDs it might work, especially if you didn't store your liners and inserts. Another problem would be the weight of the binder, even if the discs and inserts do fit.

Personally, I find it easier to use the individual sleeves. That's why I got rid of the binders I had been using for CDs. It's much easier to alphabetize, or rearrange in whatever order you wish to store them.

Good luck on whatever system you decide on!

Steve K.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I'll chime in, I bought a rack at Ikea for $100 that stores about 150 dvd's then when I built my theatre, I built drawers in my audio rack (see sig) to hold what I planned to be about another 150. Turns out I measured wrong (outside instead of inside) and my drawers will only hold about 100 more dvds, but that should be good for awhile. If that overflows I'm going to cut out the post in my wall and make the bottom a rack as well. If I fill that well then I'll have to move or something, it will be a long time before that happens anyways!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks