What's new

Stevie Ray Vaughan: Live at the El Mocambo (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Do any of you guys have this DVD? I was wondering how the performance, audio, and video were, so I did a search and discovered nothing. I thought I'd post a thread to see what you guys thought. Thanks.
Rob

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I have it. Considering it was taped in 1983 (I think), it looks great.
The sound is excellent. It has a stereo track and a 5.1 track. The 5.1 sounds a bit thin, but the stereo track is great; it sounds as good as a CD can sound from back then.
It's a powerful performance, and no SRV fan should be without it (nor without the Austin City Limits DVD or the DVD of extras from that ACL performance in the SRV box set).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I've never heard it, but a friend of mine got it. He told me that the performance was outstanding (gee, what a surprise) but the audio wasn't that stellar.

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
I have it. It's been a while since I watched it, but these are my recollections.
Performance:
Extraordinary. I just sorta sit there and watch dumbfounded looking something like this
eek.gif

Video:
Passable. Hey, it's the music that matters.
Audio:
I hate the 5.1 track. The stereo track is much better, although it seems a little anemic in the low end.
There is also a documentary with interviews of Double Trouble that is quite good. A must buy for SRV fans.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
This is my favorite SRV DVD and I have all 3 mentioned here. Neither the sound or the video are outstanding but the performance is simply unbelievable. If you are a SRV fan then you must buy this one!

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I've got this one too. As has been said, 5.1 track ain't much but it tends to give it a much more enveloping experience than the stereo. Video is VERY decent for such an old show which was never meant for something like DVD, and of course the show is absolutely outta this world....especially 3rd Stone From The Sun, worth the price of admission alone :).
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

James D S

Screenwriter
"3rd Stone" is definately worth the price of admission. The hair on the back of my neck was standing up when he made that guitar cry after the beating he gave it. Not to mention "Texas Flood," and the other Jimi cover, "Voodoo Child."
This is probably one of the best guitar performances ever put to video. Damn the quality, we should be glad it's available at all.
Of course, IMO.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Give me that big, fat, uncompressed PCM any day, baby!
Each and every concert and music video release should include stereo PCM.

Jin E

Second Unit
I have the Laserdisc (in PCM no less!) an it is a great performance and great disc. I will second the anemic in the low end comment... but the PCM digital track is wonderful non the less.
------------------
-Jin
My Theater

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
The performance, as has been mentioned above, is super-human. I mean, I just sit there with my mouth open as he rips through these pieces. An absolutely fantastic DVD if you are into the music.
If you are looking for reference quality video or audio, you won't find it, but the performance of this three piece group on a hot night in a steamy club, with Stevie's amp turned up to "11" is just amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks