What's new

Statement concerning THE LAST EMPEROR (Criterion Collection) (1 Viewer)

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
I respect what he does with a film camera as well. He just shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the video transfers for the films he photographed. Get the director in to do it instead.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Then let's put him in charge of the HD transfer of The Wizard of Oz for Blu-ray for all those new-fangled 16:9 TVs in the home and see what happens. :rolleyes

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It is important to note that every scope film Storaro has made since 1995 (with the exceptions of films like Bullworth which were shot flat) uses his 2-perf Univision format so their OAR actually is 2.00:1.

This means only about five films (of which two have yet to recieve an anamorphic transfer of any sort) whose image could be compromised by Mr. Storaro's new preferred standard.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I presume that presenting them on home video in 2.0 form would involve opening up the matte versus cropping off the left/right of the vertically-reduced 2.35:1 frame.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
It's three perf.

But even some of his Univisum films aren't 2:1 on DVD, such as Renny Harlin's Exorcist Prequel. It is 2.4:1, like a regular Super 35 film.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And he wasn't particularly happy about it which is why Storaro got his way when they did the transfer for Dominion.

And yes Univisum is three perf, somehow my mind must have mistaken it for Techniscope.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Storaro also proposes changing the projector pull down to three perfs, rather than four, even though it has been 4 for 100+ years.

He really hasn't thought things through very well.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I've finally found some time to go through most of the Criterion LE DVD, and while the 2:1 issue exists, it should not be a deal killer. While I found an occasional shot to feel cramped, and the issue of a field enlargement exists, the set is still worth one's attention.

The extras, in typical Criterion fashion, are top notch, and it would seem very doubtful that for high definition or any other uses, that the 2:1 will go away.

This is a beautifully produced set, albeit fashioned against the Criterion norm of OAR, is the best out there, and is likely to remain as such until the film is released in HD.

RAH

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I understand exactly what you're saying Robert and nobody does it better than Criterion. Usually.

When Storaro insisted on cropping Apocalypse Now, I was frustrated, but, hey, it's Paramount and we take what crumbs we can get, especially when there is no alternative. Owning it doesn't put an end to the frustration, mind.

However, this is Criterion; and while it might be going a tad far to liken this to them putting their rubber stamp on an extras stuffed, pan and scan presentation of How The West Was Won, up with this I will not put. Especially when there is an alternative, transferred, more or less, how I saw it theatrically. And which left me wide eyed in wonder at such gorgeous imagery.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Was it Churchill that said "Never use a preposition to end a sentence with?"

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Robert Harris:"This is a beautifully produced set, albeit fashioned against the Criterion norm of OAR, is the best out there, and is likely to remain as such until the film is released in HD."

I agree somewhat with this,Yes its a super collection of extras,But the British
pal set has some of these,like the commentary and the South Banks show.Yes I preffer the color,But Pal versions are the full 2.35:1
frame,people and things don't get cut off,and you can fix most of the color
problems changing your tV settings,

So No this isn't the Best out there!! there are at least two other sets

Its clear Storraro wont do 2.35;1 or 2.20:1 transfers.so someone can use this
cropped dvds as guides to set the color.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This gets stranger as more information comes out. If the 2:1 transfer is something controlled by the filmmakers, where did the UK transfer come from and how old is it?

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Format: Box set, Director's Cut, PAL
Language English, Japanese
Region: Region 2 ( DVD formats.)
Number of discs: 2
Classification:
Studio: Optimum Home Entertainment
DVD Release Date: 24 May 2004
Run Time: 450 minutes
DVD Features:
Bernardo Bertolucci An Indepth Making Of Documentary
Commentary By Bernardo Bertolucci And Jeremy Thomas And Composer Ryuichi Sakomoto
Postcard From China Trailer
ASIN: B000216XSA

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
I think Criterion's standard is to do as the filmmakers' request if they are around to give their input. That's what I'd expect from them, even if those filmmakers' are off their rocker. One can't fault Criterion here if they were heeding the requests of Storaro and Bertolucci, IMO.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Hahhahah whatever. I wasn't actually referring to my money specifically. I was just suggesting that Criterion released the DVD the way they thought it should be released, anyone who doesn't think they made the right decision doesn't have to buy it.

But I'm actually pretty sure that Criterion would like to sell as many copies as they possibly can - I don't think they are a charity.

There are 5 or 6 people on the review thread who aren't buying the disc because of the cropping. I don't think that is what Criterion wanted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.