What's new

Starsky & Hutch S2 (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Announcement today!

Check out the date confusion. I'm pretty sure it will end up being out on 7/20, but the press release says 7/13. All other Columbia sources say the 20th, though. Weird.

Anyway, there's specs, covers, and 5 menu shots in there, so check it out.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I was thinking the same thing Craig although I have to say that S2 is coming sooner than I thought.

Just watching the original pilot movie

:emoji_thumbsup:

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
I'm pleasantly surprised how quickly S2 has followed--perhaps the timing didn't allow for extras? It kinda makes sense to put time & effort into S1 extras, since for some shows the later seasons have yet to appear...

I almost wish I could get the extras for the movie (which look fun) on this set, since I was fairly underwhelmed by the actual film.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Just under a week to go until season two. Will this be the last one? The first set was released to tie into the movie, and the press release for this second set admits it's a tie-in to the movie's DVD release. There won't be anything to tie a third season to except strong sales. If you're a fan, buy a copy and send Columbia/Tri-Star this message: don't give up on Starsky and Hutch, baby!

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
They had better release seasons three & four :angry:

There are whispers of there being another Starsky & Hutch movie though, aren't there? Lets hope that it gets made so that we can have final seasons!

I've also heard David Soul on the radio talking about how he & Starsk want to return to there famous roles in there own Starsky & Hutch movie, how cool would that be!?

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Season 2 is out in the UK on monday and I shall be buying. I hear the 1st season sold very well so I imagine Season 3 and Season 4 will be out by summer 2005. Starsky and Hutch is one of the biggest and most popular TV shows of all time. I'm sure the whole lot will be released on DVD. :D :emoji_thumbsup:

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, I'm buying season two & Starsky & Hutch: The Movie on Monday too -- Craig you have restored my confidence, of course they'll release seasons three & four... ;) :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
A dramatic movie featuring the return of Soul and Glaser would be welcome. I have no interest in the comedy.

I didn't really watch S&H when it was on originally, but I've been blown away by it. Great, great show. I've got about five TV box sets in rotation right now, and the original plan was to watch different shows every night. Now that I have S&H and Stargate, that's out the window. I *have* to watch both every night. :)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Yeah, Starsky & Hutch is brilliant.

A dramatic movie featuring the return of Soul and Glaser would be welcome.

The general plot points that David Soul talked about sounded great, that's where I'd imagine both Starsky & Hutch would be right now :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
It's been nearly 30 years, so it doesn't really matter, but does anyone think they kind of cheapened the Huggy Bear character towards the end of season 1? I'm basically watching the show for the first time on DVD, and I really thought it was a good idea to have him own the restaurant. It gave Starsky and Hutch a place to go--including the upstairs apartment that they used for various purposes--and it gave Huggy a sheen of respectability, while allowing him to keep a line open to the underworld. I don't like the jack-of-all-trades turn, having him selling worthless junk and engaging in cheap rackets like mouse racing. It seems a little cartoonish and pathetic. I'm really not happy that they did this. Still, the character is beloved, and I'm guessing more people remember him this way than as he was early on. I just hope I get used to and accept it.

R. Kay

Second Unit
Of course David Soul wants to return to the character! He hasnt work in 20 years and needs the bucks.

Chance of it happening outside of the 'Lifetime' channel? 0%

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda

Hang in there. During the third season, Huggy buys another bar ("The Pits"), and that scenario lasts for the rest of the run of the show.

If you're interested in Huggy's employment history, check out the S&H episode guide at tvtome.com. It gives a complete episode-by-episode run-down of Huggy's various enterprises. (Since you're new to the show: beware of spoilers!) The main page for the show (at tvtome.com) also offers a few other tidbits (including info about Huggy Bear) which may be of interest to someone who's just now getting into the show.

BTW...in my opinion, the first two seasons of this show, as well as the first two-thirds of the third season, are great, but there's a major downhill slide after that. To me, about 80 percent of the final season is all but unwatchable, and a total betrayal of the characters we had come to know and love. (Absolute bottom of the barrel: "Starsky vs Hutch"...an episode which should never have even been written, much less filmed. And "Starsky's Little Brother" was originally intended as a setup to introduce the younger Starsky as a replacement for PMG at a point when PMG was quite close to leaving the show.)

My opinions are just that, of course, and therefore subject to debate. Personally, I just hated seeing the sad decline of a fabulous show, and two of my all-time favorite television characters.

But, will I still buy the 3rd and 4th seasons if they're released? You betcha. Even the horrendous 4th season has a couple of keeper gems.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks for the information, Linda. It sounds like the producers agreed that changing Huggy was a mistake, since they put him back in a bar. Too bad the trade-off was declining episode quality. I guess that's the fate of most TV shows, unfortunately. CHiPs declined. The A-Team declined. Maybe three seasons is the magic number for most shows.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I watched Huggy Bear and the Turkey last night (I'm dreadfully slow; I've had the set since the day it came out, and am still only to this point), and saw afterwards at TVTome that fans of the show despise the episode and consider it one of the worst of the entire run. I have to say, I found it enjoyable enough while watching it, and I was dying with laughter while talking about it at lunch today. Leotis was hilarious, and the whole bit with the heater had me rolling. The visual gag when we first join Starsky and Hutch at the beauty salon was priceless. And, the scene with Aunt Esther was great, too. "When DO the new Cadillacs come out?" :laugh: I guess the bottom line is, I wouldn't have wanted comedy to become the new direction for the series, but a one episode diversion was okay. And, I would have given HBatT a shot had it made it as a show. :)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Regarding earlier comments about Huggy Bear in this thread: I think that Huggy selling various "dodgy" items provided a lot of comical moments in the show, it gave some nice comic relief.

Regarding earlier comments about season 4 of S&H in this thread: I admit that I'm not sure how much of season 4 that I have/haven't seen because I watched a lot of S&H on UK TV and they tend to mess up the order in which they should be shown, but I have seen the final episode of the show & I thought it had a nice ending and I enjoyed it immensely.

Yeah, "Huggy Bear and the Turkey" was a pretty bad episode of the show IMO -- seeing S&H at the beauty salon was brilliant though!

I have a question for the folks who have the set over in the USA, do you have the Original TV Spots? I saw that over on TV Shows on DVD it says the set has them but they're not on my UK set?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks