What's new

Starman (1984) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It’s been a while since I’ve seen this awesome film. I think I’ll watch this tonight with the wife. Thanks @SamT
I just got done watching the BD featurette 'They Came from Hollywood: Remembering Starman" and I will definitely be watching the BD in the next 48 hours.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Arguably the last great John Carpenter film. Big Trouble in Little China was fun popcorn movie, as well as They Live.
At that time, you thought Carpenter was headed towards iconic greatness as a director because he was just in his mid-30's at that time. He had a fine career, but he flamed out by the time he had his 40th birthday.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
At that time, you thought Carpenter was headed towards iconic greatness as a director because he was just in his mid-30's at that time. He had a fine career, but he flamed out by the time he had his 40th birthday.
I will never understand it.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I will never understand it.
I love nearly all of Carpenter's movies but pretty much every time he got a bigger budget, the movie didn't make enough money to be a hit. Big Trouble In Little China's lack of financial success was bad for his career but I think Memoirs Of An Invisible Man was the nail in the coffin for him getting decent sized budgets. After that, he only made movies where he could have used more money to make a better picture or the movies got lousy promotion since they were small so no one saw them.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Might just be my favorite John Carpenter movie. I like how it's basically an adult E.T. I have the most recent blu-ray and it is terrific.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Does that release have an audio commentary as I thought there were some interviews with Carpenter, his wife who was the script supervisor and Bridges? Is the back of the box art wrong in my DVD Profiler? Let me pull out my copy.

It's too bad I didn't link a review that discusses all the contents of the Blu-ray! :P

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Arguably the last great John Carpenter film. Big Trouble in Little China was fun popcorn movie, as well as They Live.

IMO, Carpenter only made 2 genuinely great movies: "Halloween" and "The Thing".

"Starman" is a more than decent remake of "ET", but it never quite connects for me. Some of that is because I think it's such a blatant remake of "ET" - it might not be "Mac and Me" levels of copycat, but it's too close to "ET" for comfort.

But it's just not a movie I feel really gels. I'd probably rate it a 5 out of 10...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Here we agree. Carpenter is the poster child for filmmakers who maintain legendary status for decades even though a lot of their films really aren't good.

As I mentioned above, "Halloween" and "Thing" are genuine classics. "The Fog", "Assault" and "Escape from NY" are erratic but mostly strong.

I view the rest of his through 1986 filmography as varying degrees of "okay". "Starman", "Big Trouble", "Christine", "Elvis" - all moderately compelling, but none consistently good.

From "Prince of Darkness" on... no thanks. (Caveat: if I ever saw "They Live", it was decades ago and I don't remember it. Never saw "Dark Star", too.)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Might just be my favorite John Carpenter movie. I like how it's basically an adult E.T. I have the most recent blu-ray and it is terrific.

I think ET was an adult, too! ;)

I know you meant "a version of 'ET' meant for adults, but it kinda reads like you mean 'ET' with an adult alien. :D

BTW, "ET" works just fine for adults. Just because it's not "R"-rated like "Starman" doesn't mean it's not for adults, too!

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I must have seen this movie at least 20 times when it was on HBO in the 80's (and really liked it then. Hey, it had the guy from Tron in it. And Karen Allen.)

I had mostly forgotten about it, but I may just have to get it.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
IMO, Carpenter only made 2 genuinely great movies: "Halloween" and "The Thing".

"Starman" is a more than decent remake of "ET", but it never quite connects for me. Some of that is because I think it's such a blatant remake of "ET" - it might not be "Mac and Me" levels of copycat, but it's too close to "ET" for comfort.

But it's just not a movie I feel really gels. I'd probably rate it a 5 out of 10...
Yeah, we disagree about Carpenter because I think he made more than two great films. I think Starman is much more than a blatant remake of "ET". It's more of a romantic love story between a human being and alien than anything else. Anyhow, I'm not going to debate Carpenter's movies any further as I think more of his films than you.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yeah, we disagree about Carpenter because I think he made more than two great films. I think Starman is much more than a blatant remake of "ET". It's more of a romantic love story between a human being and alien than anything else. Anyhow, I'm not going to debate Carpenter's movies any further as I think more of his films than you.
Yeah, I don’t remember E.T impregnating Elliot. :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Watched it tonight with the wife. Still a terrific love story. Holds up extremely well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks