Starman Special Edition - possibly November 26!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Martin Jeeves, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Martin Jeeves

Martin Jeeves Supporting Actor

A Region 2 version of 'STARMAN - Special Edition' has been ***tentatively*** announced for November 26th. These are the ***tentative*** supplements:
    Remastered Anamorphic Widescreen Video.
    Remastered Dolby Digital 5.1 Audio.
    Feature length Audio Commentary with John Carpenter and Jeff Bridges (Karen Allen was unavailable due to filming).
    Deleted scenes (to be confirmed).
    Music Video of Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen performing 'All I Have To Do Is Dream' from the Starman soundtrack.
    Theatrical trailers for 'Starman'.
    Cross trailers for cast and director.
    Talent Files - Cast and Crew biographies/filmographies for Jeff Bridges, Karen Allen and John Carpenter.
    There is no available featurettes (1984 promotional or otherwise) to be included on the disc.
    The artwork and synopsis is probably the same as the VHS release. As follows:
    http://www.blackstar.co.uk/video/item/7000000012213
    'STARMAN' was a $68 million dollar worldwide hit in 1984-85 (grossing $30 million in the U.S. alone), and was directed by JOHN CARPENTER (Halloween, The Thing, The Fog). The film starred Academy Award nominee JEFF BRIDGES (Fisher King, Jagged Edge, Arlington Road) and KAREN ALLEN (Perfect Storm, Scrooged, Raiders of the Lost Ark). The film received almost unanimous acclaim and has a large cult following (as many of Carpenter's other films do).
    Please remember that this information is ***tentative***. A Region 1 'Special Edition' of 'STARMAN' is not currently planned but Columbia Tri-Star are aware of the interest in a re-release. Apparently the films original DVD release did not sell as well as expected.
    Thanks,

2. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit

That's great but what about us Yanks? [​IMG]

3. Martin Jeeves

I hope the commentary is as entertaining and insightful as other Carpenter commentaries.
    There is bound to be a US 'Starman - Special Edition' re-release in Region 1 soon. Do you know how I know? Well, as soon as I pay over the money for this release they'll announce an even better Region 1 version. It always happens! Always!
    ------------------
    M.J.

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Didn't they just announce a new John Carpenter box set for R1 with the existing plain Starman release?

5. Kenny Goldin

Kenny Goldin Second Unit

Must...have..it...soon....must...add...too..Carpen ter...collection.... [​IMG] (except Escape from L.A. [​IMG])
    Yeah I too love his commentaries, just listended to Big Trouble in Little China whcih was great. Why do I get the feeling a Carpenter/Bridges tracj would be cool as well???
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

6. Martin Jeeves

Yep, a Carpenter boxset was announced a couple of months ago with the old 'Starman' in, as well as 'Christine' and 'Vampire$'.
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm quite interested in seeing the Jeff Bridges / Karen Allen music video! It can't be as funny as the John Carpenter / Coup DeVilles video on 'Big Trouble In Little China' surely??!!
    ------------------
    M.J.

7. Martin Jeeves

Apparently, the British Board of Film Classification has cleared 5 or 6 deleted scenes (lasting a total of around 3 minutes) and a 12 minute 'featurette' in the last week. I wonder if we will see a featurette on the disc after all?
    http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/BBFCStandardFrameset?OpenFrameSet&Frame=BBFCLower&Src=_s5trmaojjd5q6abq3dhgn6sr9cpkmap1edppmcbp44h9m aobicdk3ujrgcln4crridkj42tbkdt374ob dcli00_
    Interesting.. I hope these find there way on the disc.
    ------------------
    M.J.

8. Martin Jeeves

How would you guys rate this with Carpenter's other films? Just interested to know?
    ------------------
    M.J.

9. Gavin K

Gavin K Stunt Coordinator

The film itself is wonderful, an eerie beginning, a humorous fish-out of water story, a touching romance, suspense and intrigue. A true delight. the cinematography and effects are cool, too. But that damned soundtrack! It's a really annoying, overly sappy synth score. At first I couldn't believe Carpenter of writing such crap, then I realized that it wasn't him. How he allowed it I don't know. But I would still buy an SE of this movie. I willnot be purchasing the plain Jane version.
    ------------------
    "Wow, what a dramatic airport!"

10. Martin Jeeves

I have to admit I found the soundtrack quite eerie, haunting and affecting. Granted though - it is a bit repetitive. This is my favourite Carpenter film.
    ------------------
    M.J.

11. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Supporting Actor

I consider Starman as a personal favorite among the scifi genre. It has a combination of idealism a bit of the study of human/inhuman behavior that I look for in good fiction and movies.
    Would love to have an SE of this.
    - Joel

12. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone heard any more about this possible release? None of the local shops that I have asked have this on their release schedules.

13. Jonathan.e

Jonathan.e Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG]
    [email protected]
    • Theatrical trailer(s)
    • Films annonces
    • Filmographie
    • Commentaires audiode réalisateur et de l'acteur principal
    • Clips musicaux
    This is the cover up at www.amazon.fr but it is not available to order yet. Should have been released 25 October. Can’t find it listed at any of the usual R2 etailers so I guess it’s delayed. Last I heard there were categorically no plans for a R1 Sp Ed.

14. ChristopherM

ChristopherM Stunt Coordinator

I've now read in a French magazine that it is scheduled for release in 2002.