What's new

Starman (1984) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nope. There are a few I've not seen, but I think only the 2 I mentioned are actually great.

Some others are good, some others are okay, some others are bad. Not only 2 great...
Personally, I'd put The Fog on the same level as Halloween and The Thing. I also think it's worth pointing out that not many directors have 2 or 3 great movies so Carpenter did pretty good.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’d rank these Carpenter films as Great

Halloween
The Fog
Starman
The Thing

The Very Good;
Big Trouble In Little China
Escape From New York
Christine

Good
Escape from LA
Assault on Precinct 13
Dark Star
Elvis

The rest....meh.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Perfect flawless gems:
Halloween
The Fog
The Thing

Near perfect flawless gems:
all the rest (except Memoirs Of An Invisible Man)

OK, not really but I'm a big fan of nearly all of his movies and I think a lot of his work after the early 80's is really underrated and his work from the 90's is unfairly ignored.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I’d rank these Carpenter films as Great

Halloween
The Fog
Starman
The Thing

The Very Good;
Big Trouble In Little China
Escape From New York
Christine

Good
Escape from LA
Assault on Precinct 13
Dark Star
Elvis

The rest....meh.

I don't see how you could possibly leave They Live out of your "Good" list. :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I thought it was just OK.
0AAC528F-9A54-498D-AD72-DBA50EF3BFB8.gif

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think this is a wonderfully entertaining picture and sort of stands out in the Carpenter catalog because it is different from the rest of his resume in many ways. I can't really compare it to ET as I have never made it all the way through a screening of ET, it just does not appeal to me, but in many ways I prefer Carpenter as a filmmaker to Spielberg. So, I've never thought of this as a "remake of ET" because it really touches on different themes and textures than what I have seen of ET. I think they are different stories attempting to do different things.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Carpenter is a brilliant B-movie director who got some A-movie budgets in the 80s. The Thing and Starman are astounding genre films and nearly flawless by any standard of filmmaking.

Assault on Precinct 13, Halloween, The Fog, Escape from New York, In the Mouth of Madness, They Live... all b-movie classics.

Maybe he had visions that were not supported by the budgets and talent he was able to attract after the 80s. Maybe he collected lightning in a bottle. Nevertheless, he directed more than one masterpiece and composed more than one memorable film score.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My wife and I watched the Shout Blu-ray night before last. I hadn't seen this film in probably 10 years and man, I'd forgotten how good it is! Both Jeff Bridges and Karen Allen just nail it, and the tone that Carpenter set is, as others have mentioned, so very, very different from anything else he's done. I'd put Starman right up there with The Thing and Halloween. So shoot me. ;)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Him, his son and godson are in a band and they make some real cool new music (and in concert, they play a mix of new stuff and his best film themes). Their score to the most recent Halloween was proof positive that he still can craft a great score.

Carpenter, his son Cody, and godson Daniel Davies (the son of guitarist Dave Davies of The Kinks) have made three studio albums of original compositions—Lost Themes (2015), Lost Themes II (2016), and Lost Themes III (2021)—with the most recent one just released a couple of weeks ago on February 2.

https://i.scdn.co/image/ab67616d0000b2734e802b033c6b5803385ed675

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I had forgotten about the transformation at the beginning and it was a shock and interesting to see it done at the age of no CG.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks