What's new

Starman (1984)

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Starman (1984)

Tagline: In 1977 Voyager II was launched into space, inviting all lifeforms in the universe to visit our planet. Get ready. Company's coming.

Genre: Romance, Science Fiction

Director: John Carpenter

Cast: Jeff Bridges, Karen Allen, Charles Martin Smith, Richard Jaeckel, Robert Phalen, Tony Edwards, John Walter Davis, Ted White, Dirk Blocker, M.C. Gainey, Sean Stanek, George Buck Flower, Russ Benning, Ralph Cosham, David Wells, Anthony Grumbach, James Deeth, Alex Daniels, Carol Rosenthal, Mickey Jones, Lu Leonard, Charlie Hughes, Byron Walls, Betty Bunch, Victor McLemore, Steven Brennan, Pat Lee, Judith Kim, Ronald Colby, Robert Stein, Kenny Call, Jeff Ramsey, Jerry Gatlin, David Daniell, Randy Tutton, John Carpenter, Mark Jensen

Release: 1984-12-13

Runtime: 115

Plot: When an alien takes the form of a young widow's husband and asks her to drive him from Wisconsin to Arizona, the government tries to stop them.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Just re-watched this classic. Great movie.

When you think about it the story makes no sense at all. Why it has to clone a human shape where he has only 2-3 days to go to another random place otherwise he dies. To make things worse his species will not wait for him even 1 day if he is late. :) If it didn't clone him, they wouldn't have any problems at all!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love this movie. Bridges is great in the role. I think I got an Oscar nomination for it. I wish there was SE release with a commentary.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I love this movie. Bridges is great in the role. I think I got an Oscar nomination for it. I wish there was SE release with a commentary.

You mean like this one that came out in 2018?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You mean like this one that came out in 2018?

Does that release have an audio commentary as I thought there were some interviews with Carpenter, his wife who was the script supervisor and Bridges? Is the back of the box art wrong in my DVD Profiler? Let me pull out my copy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Does that release have an audio commentary as I thought there were some interviews with Carpenter, his wife who was the script supervisor and Bridges?
It indeed has a commentary even tho it’s not listed on the back cover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 171
Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
When I use Collin’s link it takes me to the Shout version and the Amazon indicates there is a commentary. Is there any indication this will be released in 4K? I’d hate to buy this and have a 4K come out.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It indeed has a commentary even this it’s not listed on the back cover.
Yeah, I just popped in my Shout! Factory disc and it's listed under the audio options. The back cover of the disc box gives no indication of that audio commentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I use Collin’s link it takes me to the Shout version and the Amazon indicates there is a commentary. Is there any indication this will be released in 4K? I’d hate to buy this and have a 4K come out.
That's the chance you take as Sony could very well released it on 4K disc or even Shout! Factory for that matter. I don't think the 2018 disc was derived from a new master though, so who knows what can happen in the future.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
The 2018 Disc was from the same 2k done for the previous blu-ray. It looks perfectly fine though. Sound is a bit weak though for a 5.1 sourced from a six.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The 2018 Disc was from the same 2k done for the previous blu-ray. It looks perfectly fine though. Sound is a bit weak though for a 5.1 sourced from a six.
That's what I thought as Shout gave no indication that a new scan was struck for this 2018 BD. Also, Shout has been known to use older scans with new bonus material.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
That's what I thought as Shout gave no indication that a new scan was struck for this 2018 BD. Also, Shout has been known to use older scans with new bonus material.
Yeah they just reused the same transfer on Big Trouble in Little China too IIRC.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
It’s been a while since I’ve seen this awesome film. I think I’ll watch this tonight with the wife. Thanks @SamT

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Arguably the last great John Carpenter film. Big Trouble in Little China was fun popcorn movie, as well as They Live.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks