What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers! (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
As I was waiting on "The Wizard of Oz" to start at the Dolby Cinema theater I'm going to see The Rise of Skywalker, I decided to check the number of seats sold and to my surprise there are still many empty seats for their matinee showings the first couple of days.

I think the people who care enough to buy tickets two months in advance are more focused on the opening night screenings. Even with the advent of reserved seating, which is a fairly recent phenomenon, I think a lot of people are more used to buying tickets very far in advance when it's a live performance rather than a film. Even though those of us who are serious Star Wars fans already have our tickets, I think there are a lot of people who are more casual fans who just aren't ready to commit to a showtime so far away yet. A lot of these more casual moviegoers will probably still find their way into the theater on opening weekend, but it's very possible that buying tickets for a movie that's still almost two months away just isn't on their radar yet as something they need to do.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I just wonder how much damage was done by TLJ. I loved it, but man the people that hate really hated it, and pretty much swore off SW at that point.
I have no doubt that some people will stick to their guns but I also have no doubt that many of the people who have been crying about The Last Jedi since it came out will be there on opening night for The Rise Of Skywalker. They'll dress it up as giving Star Wars another chance or they have to see how they "repair the damage" from TLJ or whatever excuse they want to use but many of them will still be there and their tickets cost as much as someone who has loved the sequel trilogy.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think this whole “I hated the last movie, and I’ve given up on Star Wars” is highly exaggerated.

I mean, you may see a hundred posts in one of these threads, but 99 of them are made by the same person, just restating his hate over and over and over

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I think this whole “I hated the last movie, and I’ve given up on Star Wars” is highly exaggerated.

I mean, you may see a hundred posts in one of these threads, but 99 of them are made by the same person, just restating his hate over and over and over

What exaggeration. There have been plenty of people who have posted their dislike of TLJ in Star Wars threads. Also the number of posts from people who hated the prequel trilogy dwarf the criticism of TLJ and TFA on this site.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I saved me two tickets. One for December 18 and one for the 23rd.
I bet there’ll be at least one more after Christmas.

P.S.:
Reserved seating is the norm here in Germany. Only in smaller venues we have no reserved seats.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Also the number of posts from people who hated the prequel trilogy dwarf the criticism of TLJ and TFA on this site.
I agree but plenty of fans disliked the first two prequels and they still went to see the third one. And as is usual, the third prequel made more money than the second but not as much as the first. The same basic thing will happen with this trilogy too. Love The Last Jedi or hate it, it won't have any significant effect on the box office of this movie.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree but plenty of fans disliked the first two prequels and they still went to see the third one. And as is usual, the third prequel made more money than the second but not as much as the first. The same basic thing will happen with this trilogy too. Love The Last Jedi or hate it, it won't have any significant effect on the box office of this movie.

I don't disagree with you there. Maybe 1 in 10 people who have followed the Star Wars franchise might stick to their resolve to skip the next movie. The other 9 are full of it, including myself. We are going to go and see the next one whether we hated the one before or not, because there is always the hope that the next one might be better.

The biggest problem with Star Wars is that the success of the series is sitting at the event horizon of the Skywalker Black Hole, as evidenced by the relative failure of the two films that, at least, attempted to break away from the Skywalker centered formula.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
What exaggeration. There have been plenty of people who have posted their dislike of TLJ in Star Wars threads. Also the number of posts from people who hated the prequel trilogy dwarf the criticism of TLJ and TFA on this site.
David's post isn't literally true but the gist of it is: The Last Jedi haters are a very small but very vocal minority. The movie got an "A" CinemaScore, so a randomly selected statistically valid sampling of the audience overwhelmingly liked it.

The thing is that the people who hated really hated it. So a person who liked it might post once praising it, but the people who hated it are still posting about how much they hated it two years later.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
David's post isn't literally true but the gist of it is: The Last Jedi haters are a very small but very vocal minority. The movie got an "A" CinemaScore, so a randomly selected statistically valid sampling of the audience overwhelmingly liked it.

The thing is that the people who hated really hated it. So a person who liked it might post once praising it, but the people who hated it are still posting about how much they hated it two years later.

He stated a statistic that 99 comments out of a 100 stating hatred for a Star Wars film in Star Wars comments threads come from one person and that is what I'm taking issue with. They are discussion threads so it stands to reason that when someone states they dislike something someone will invariably rise to defend why they liked it and vice versa. More than one person has stated that they hate TLJ or the prequels and more than one person has stated what they like or love about the films.

The points and counterpoints have an opportunity to arise again and again because they are discussion threads and the STAR WARS franchise is the most discussed series of all time on this site.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In my experience moderating this forum for about 20 years, the naysayers of a movie will post much more often than people that like a particular movie. People that like a movie, especially a popular movie generally don't have the need to defend their opinion and are happy with their movie experience while it's the complete opposite for those that didn't like a popular movie and want to air out their misgivings about it.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yep. Same reason (among others) that online product reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. People who have had a negative experience with something are FAR more likely to post than people who have had a positive one. If someone is happy with something they don't necessarily have the same driving motivation to share their experience. Human beings like to piss and moan when something doesn't meet their expectations.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
In my experience moderating this forum for about 20 years, the naysayers of a movie will post much more often than people that like a particular movie. People that like a movie, especially a popular movie generally don't have the need to defend their opinion and are happy with their movie experience while it's the complete opposite for those that didn't like a popular movie and want to air out their misgivings about it.

There have been as many people in STAR WARS threads defending what they like about the films as there have been naysayers. I've been a member here almost 20 years myself and in all that time there has always been an ongoing SW discussion thread. Are you seriously going to suggest that the majority of the posts in a 20 year discussion have mostly come from naysayers complaining about what they hated in the films? Even if that was true then it completely destroys his "statistic" that 99 out of 100 negative comments come from 1 person, because in your experience the majority of comments in a discussion thread will be negative toward a particular film.

Yep. Same reason (among others) that online product reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt. People who have had a negative experience with something are FAR more likely to post than people who have had a positive one. If someone is happy with something they don't necessarily have the same driving motivation to share their experience. Human beings like to piss and moan when something doesn't meet their expectations.

Comparing product reviews to a discussion thread is apples to oranges. People don't respond to a product review by saying I disagree; however, in a discussion thread they will respond if they disagree with what is being stated, not because they are satisfied with a film they like, but due to a perception that somehow someone disliking what they like is questioning their taste in films.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Wow.
I made up some exaggerated numbers to highlight how skewed these posts tended to be.
I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that anyone would mistake these for real number.

Out of the gazillion posts (oodles and oodles) I've made, this is the one that people take as a factual statistic.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Comparing product reviews to a discussion thread is apples to oranges. People don't respond to a product review by saying I disagree; however, in a discussion thread they will respond if they disagree with what is being stated, not because they are satisfied with a film they like, but due to a perception that somehow someone disliking what they like is questioning their taste in films.

To a certain extent it's apples to oranges perhaps, but the same logic applies in both cases. People like to complain online a LOT more than they like to offer positive opinions, whether it's a product review or a movie review. That is certainly the case with TLJ, where we have people who are so bitter about the film that they're still spouting off about it every chance they get almost two years later after the film's theatrical release.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
To a certain extent it's apples to oranges perhaps, but the same logic applies in both cases. People like to complain online a LOT more than they like to offer positive opinions, whether it's a product review or a movie review. That is certainly the case with TLJ, where we have people who are so bitter about the film that they're still spouting off about it every chance they get almost two years later after the film's theatrical release.

I just do not see what is unusual about a person making a negative comment on a two year old movie on a film discussion forum. There are films that are decades old that draw negative comments against them on this site. The reverse is, of course, also true. In fact, the older the movie is the more likely that it will draw a majority of positive comments......well........except for the prequels. :laugh:

Still, even films that are considered classics by consensus over time will attract comments from people who don't like them. it is a movie discussion and home theatre site after all.

Edit: Anyway, I will leave it there so as not to derail this thread any further. I just took issue with a "statistic" being posted that has no basis in fact.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There have been as many people in STAR WARS threads defending what they like about the films as there have been naysayers. I've been a member here almost 20 years myself and in all that time there has always been an ongoing SW discussion thread. Are you seriously going to suggest that the majority of the posts in a 20 year discussion have mostly come from naysayers complaining about what they hated in the films? Even if that was true then it completely destroys his "statistic" that 99 out of 100 negative comments come from 1 person, because in your experience the majority of comments in a discussion thread will be negative toward a particular film.
Yes, I'm serious, but I was talking about movies in general when I made my comment about my experience with these type of movie threads. As to the stats you quoted, I never placed them in any of my posts so I won't talk to that point.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
So what are the comics we are supposed to read before Rise?
Marvel is releasing the four issue Journey To Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker- Allegiance mini-series that takes place before TROS. It's coming out weekly this month with the last issue coming on Wednesday. The trade paperback with all 4 issues comes out in late November.

It's not a lead-in to TROS but they're doing a pre-The Force Awakens mini-series called Star Wars: The Rise Of Kylo Ren which starts in December and ends in March.

And in January, the main Star Wars series is starting over with a new issue #1 and moving forward in the timeline to the nearly untouched time period (in the new canon anyway) between The Empire Strikes Back and Return Of The Jedi.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Same case with "Justice League" for example-- You would think going by the internet reaction to it, that it was the worst movie ever made, but the Cinemascore is a B+, so it most of the audience did in fact enjoy it.

I'm not saying people should, or shouldn't like "The Last Jedi", but I do find it odd that it didn't do better business than "The Force Awakens" going by the buzz, and interest created by that film. It should have clearly been an "Infinity War"/"Endgame" scenario in which the second film of the series outperforms the first.

It will be very interesting to see how the third film does compared to the first two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks