Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough

Star Wars: The Force Awakens 3D Blu-ray Review

star-wars-7-1024x576.jpg

Seven months ago when J. J. Abrams’ Star Wars: The Force Awakens premiered on Blu-ray, there were many disappointed fans who weren’t going to be able to relive their 3D theatrical experience in their homes since Disney was only releasing the movie in 2D. Now Disney has made good on their promise of an upcoming 3D release with the latest 3D Blu-ray incarnation of the film.

[review]
Click here to read the original article.

Last edited by a moderator:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Thanks for the review, Matt. Sounds like a solid disc that should have been released day-and-date with the 2D version, as is standard practice for all other major studios.

I'm disappointed that the 3D version appears to not be OAR for home video - it should be 2.35:1 switching to 1.90:1 (or 1.78:1) for the Jakku escape sequence.

I also don't understand why studios are generally reluctant to include the commentary track on the 3D disc. I want to hear it so I'll watch it on the 2D disc, but they take up almost no space, and for people invested in the 3D experience, it's more enjoyable to see the movie in 3D. It would cost the studio nothing to have the commentary playable on both versions, but would be appreciated by fans such as myself.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Later tonight, I'll check to make sure it didn't switch back to a different aspect ratio. I get so immersed in the movie that I often fail to detect these things when they happen.

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Is it worth to buy the 3D-set just for the extras (I'm not interested in 3D)?
I can see it listed what is different on the two sets, but I can't judge them from the distance.

Edit:
Wait, I missed something. Is the commentary NOT on the 2D-set?
In that case my question is already answered.

Never mind. :P

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Wait, I missed something. Is the commentary NOT on the 2D-set?
In that case my question is already answered.

Never mind. :P

Other way around - commentary is on the 2D version not the 3D version...

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Thanks for the review, Matt. Sounds like a solid disc that should have been released day-and-date with the 2D version, as is standard practice for all other major studios.

I'm disappointed that the 3D version appears to not be OAR for home video - it should be 2.35:1 switching to 1.90:1 (or 1.78:1) for the Jakku escape sequence.

I also don't understand why studios are generally reluctant to include the commentary track on the 3D disc. I want to hear it so I'll watch it on the 2D disc, but they take up almost no space, and for people invested in the 3D experience, it's more enjoyable to see the movie in 3D. It would cost the studio nothing to have the commentary playable on both versions, but would be appreciated by fans such as myself.
I'm with you on the commentary. I don't know of a single 3D film that has the commentary on the 3D version. Why?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

That's a misleading comment.

Anyway I'll buy this when it reaches a lower price.

No reason this should be $30 on release day

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian

Switching to 1.90:1 (or 1.78:1) for the Jakku escape sequence still wouldn't be OAR as the IMAX scene is 1.44:1 and I doubt any studio would shift aspect ratios on blu-ray for 16:9 televisions from 2.35:1 to 1.44:1.

IMAX Theater (2.35:1 to IMAX 1.44:1)

swtfa_imax_01.gif

Blu-ray (2.35:1 to 1.78:1 crop of IMAX 1.44:1)

swtfa_imax_03.gif

Blu-ray
(2.35:1 to IMAX 1.44:1)

swtfa_imax_02.gif

Even Nolan's IMAX scenes for The Dark Knight and Interstellar on blu-ray were not IMAX OAR and cropped to 1.78:1.

Last edited:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Who's watching it in an IMAX at home less than 100 homes?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt, can you tell me what's the run time of the movie? I'm curious if they used the original theatrical version of the end credits or, more likely, the longer version of the end credits that were on the first Blu-ray/DVD release. (Yes, I realize that I'm a huge nerd)
2:18:06 on the 3D version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks