What's new

Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, that review was brought up in the blu-ray thread. It's on my most anticipated list!

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Glad i held off on those. Yea, i did buy them, when Amazon had them on sale for $25 a season, about a year or two ago. But i hated the packaging the things came in so much, i just had to use custom art. Hard to sell anything, when you ditch the original packaging. Guess i will just give them to a friend.

I dont even want to think about how much i paid for the 40 volumes, or the LDs, or the video tapes from the mid eighties.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
[Ockeghem counts himself among the friends of RickER. ;)]

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Scott, id send them to ya...really! But not until i have season 3 in hand! I never count those eggs anymore until its all released! How many times has something supposed to come out, and doesnt! Just in case.

But then, they are yours, if you want! How much you say? Free dollars.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Rick,

Thanks! I'm saving my pennies now for two other (non-Trek) series. It would be quite the treat to see this set.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Here's another good review of the Blu-ray set from DVDBeaver. This one includes great image comparisons between the DVD release and the Blu-ray and ... OMG, check out the blues on Susan Oliver popping out like azure dylithium crystals.

Star Trek Season One Blu-ray - William Shatner Leonard Nemoy

And if you need a quick caption of the review, here's a tasty quote from the bottom line ... "This is infinitely superior to the old DVDs and it's a great to own in such a complete package on Blu-ray in my opinion. It's like discovering the series all over again."

Oh, yeah, and if the adminstrators want to delete this thread for me being an HD outlaw in SD land, I'm okay with that. But I still think "HT Software" is a little too engineer-technical-generic a subheading to list TV series under.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Amazon.com: Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 1 [Blu-ray]: William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, Joan Collins, DeForest Kelley, James Doohan, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, John Harmon, Hal Baylor, David L. Ross, John Winston, Bart La Rue, Don McDou

Great price ... currently 50% off at Amazon, or $64.99

Does anyone know of anywhere else it will be cheaper? Or what Best Buy or Target's first week release price will be? My mouse finger is twitching.

UPDATE: I just checked Best Buy's website and they are offering it for the same price: $64.99, so this must be a little online price war going on. Given that choice, I'd sooner just walk into the local store and get a price match for the website and have it in hand next Tuesday.

And, yes, this should probably be in the bargain section, but I think there would be some interest here, too.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Best Buy is the same price as Amazon.

I know you don't like the idea of reading about TV series in the HD Software section. One of the members there confirmed that will be the price in the store too. I'll be buying there.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Thanks. In my limited capacity as a codger, I tend to only follow one or two forums (in between working), so forgive my indulgence for persisting with Star Trek HD posts on this thread. I'm okay if the administrators boot me. And I will get this at BB since you confirmed the store price.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No problem on all counts Wayne. I'm buying at a Best Buy as well. And I hope the information is correct on the price. The BB website lists $64.99, and I was told it's the same in-store.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
This is such an awesome release for Star Trek fans, I just can't say enough; the deep richness of the color (after all those faded syndicated runs), the depth it adds, the full sound, the branching allowed from original effects to new ones. The reviewer who wrote, "It's like watching them for the first time," was exactly right. I've been watching these with an old friend and fellow lifelong TOS fan and the "ooh" and "aah" factor is warp factor 11. We're like kids again in a candy store.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
That was a fine essay on Star Trek. Several of the things mentioned in that article I experienced during the 1970s.

"But 'Star Trek' worked just as well, and maybe better, on a black-and-white secondhand TV pulling in signals from two cities away through an untwisted coat hanger."

Yep, this would have been me -- watching the program with a b&w television set on occasion.

I thought that essay was a fine piece of writing. :emoji_thumbsup:

poddie

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Question... is the Blu-ray release of the series out of print already?? Amazon only has it from third parties, and most of the other retailers are selling for $80 or so from what I can see. Wal-Mart seems the most reasonable option at this point... I just can't believe it would be oop already.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
amazon seems to be out of season 2 & 3, but they offer all 3 seasons bundled for $180

Originally Posted by poddie

Question... is the Blu-ray release of the series out of print already?? Amazon only has it from third parties, and most of the other retailers are selling for $80 or so from what I can see. Wal-Mart seems the most reasonable option at this point... I just can't believe it would be oop already.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know this belongs in the Star Trek Movie Thread but i could not find the one that has been talking of blu-ray for TNG.

I have the 54 dollar Amazon deal and can cancel yet. Should I get it?? I already have two movies in that package.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks