Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Well, I did watch an excerpt of The Doomsday Machine, and I was very impressed with it. Besides, I like the fact that this edition will allow for two video and two audio versions. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

Yeah I think I paid $44 for the 3rd season remastered on DVD and truthfully they look real nice upconverted I think I'll spend my $$$ on something else this go around paramount/cbs

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
You know, in this economy, DVD/BR producers shouldn't be tempting college students on limited funds like this.

Here's my problem: I really want this, all three seasons, since I've never seen the complete run of Star Trek, just most of the first season, some second and two or three episodes from the third season.

I get the high price point and have no problems with that, after all, we're getting a lot of extras, plus basically all the episodes twice with new and original FX.

My problem? I gotta take the plunge and somehow afford both an HD TV and BR player in order to watch these. That's a serious chunk of change these days.

Ah well... Christmas is coming, maybe my family is willing to go out on a limb.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

A Blu-ray player will work on a regular TV...you just wont get an HD picture. Remember your Blu-ray player will play DVDs too!

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

Yeah, the problem is I don't have any of the Star Trek DVDs before now, so it's the BRs or bust. Besides, who wouldn't want the extras?

Probably right about not needing the HD TV though. Finding a 32 in that's 1080p reasonably priced is proving to be a challenge.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Just to clarify Matt, the blu ray discs can be seen on regular TV's with a blu ray player (which have conventional audio/video connections as well as the HD ones).

I think around Christmas time you will find better deals on HDTV's. I get an off brand model (Sceptre) 1080p 32" for Christmas which looks quite nice (only drawback is that I think it's refresh rate is 60hertz, I heard 120hertz is better). I know my family wouldn't have gone over $500, since there are other people to buy for, I suspect they got it for about $400.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

Right. Prices are pretty good now. Even last year, I bought a 26' 720p HDTV for my son's room for $360, which is less than half the price I paid for a 27' Sony Trinitron regular TV more than 10 years prior. You don't need the absolute best brand or specs to get the benefit of HDTV (that tv was Best Buy's Insignia brand, but the screen is made by LG). You can always upgrade as you get the bucks.

Jay*W

Second Unit

Darn! I was hoping they'd go back to production order as with the VHS tapes and the original 2-episode DVDs. It's just too bizarre to have "Where No Man Has Gone Before" plunked down amidst the other regular first season episodes.

Jay

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I've always wondered what viewer reaction must have been like in September 1966, watching "Charlie X" one week and then the following week witnesing a less futuristic bridge and somewhat adolescent looking/acting Mr. Spock.

I'm just now trying to imagine casting my eyes on a frenetic and slightly psychotic Lazarus on a 48" high def flat screen on blu ray--I don't think my heart could take it. But now, seeing Finnegan in this manner, that would be something else again.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

I don't know about you, but I am quite ready to see the Sherry Jackson as the android in "What Are Little Girls Made Of" in high def, no matter what order it comes
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
What, no love for Joan Collins?

Seriously, Trek is gonna look awesome in HD and getting both versions of the show... how is it Paramount can do this for the fans and Lucas can't?

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew

True, plus the fine coating of Vasaline that seems to live on the camera to give her that soft glow. Really strange, given she wasn't that old when the show aired.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
This discussion of the ladies and how they were filmed in Star Trek reminded me of something. Jerry Finnerman was schooled in the old school noir days of filmmaking by the old timers.

I think you'll find that Nurse Chapel, Arial Shaw, Commissioner Hedford, Marla McGivers, Uhura, Yeoman Rand, Yeoman Barrows, Leila Kalomi, plus all the other mentioned were all filmed with a hazy gauze!

Finnerman was also the DP for Moonlighting and I read an interview with him where he discusses how he was taught this way to film the ladies to soften them and enhance them. Particularly on Moonlighting, he did that for Cybil Shepard's close-ups. Not to get into gory details, I guess this helped as the day worn on she would get tired and her face showed it.

Onto another aspect of these new Blu Rays. I am wondering how the original effects will look. If you own or had seen the last set of Season box sets of Standard Def DVD's before the remastering, you may have noticed that they tinkered with the optical effects.

All external view shots of the Enterprise on those discs, have had all the color removed. The ship looks grey. But on the old laserdiscs, they ship retains it's blueish tint. I have not looked at the LD's in a long time to compare, this is how I remember them.

So in the effects shots that show the whole ship, if you look closely, you can see the registration numbers on the side of the engines and the red strip is not red, it's gray!

So will the Blu Ray's retain the color? It should.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks