What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek TOS in 4:3 on any streaming services? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m watching Star Trek The Original Series, and it looks like both Netflix and Amazon have it in widescreen. (Well, Amazon started in 4:3 and then went widescreen on the fourth episode.) Is TOS available in 4:3 on Netflix or Amazon? How about another streaming service?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So, episode four was widescreen but episode five was back to OAR. Maybe Netflix shows them in OAR too, with similar few episodes in widescreen?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just sampled a few on Netflix and they’re 4:3 there.

They are the remastered versions with the new (circa 2006 or so) digital effects.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Huh. Netflix was widescreen for me on the original Captain Pike pilot. So I switched to Amazon which was then OAR except for the second pilot, which aired as episode four.

Maybe the two pilots are widescreen. I’ve not checked them across services.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Dave, your display settings are screwy. I’ve sampled the first 6 episodes on both Amazon and Netflix and everything is OAR (1.33:1). The only difference is that some episodes have the pillar box bars hard coded and some don’t.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I spot checked all of the episodes you cited and a few others on both Amazon Prime and Netflix and they are all showing as 4x3 for me. I am viewing on an older model of AppleTV.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Interesting! I’ll take a deeper look.

What device are you using for streaming, Dave? I had some wackiness with aspect ratios on 1.33:1 material using my two 4K Roku devices (an Ultra and a Premiere) with Hulu, but it would work fine using my ATV4K or the built-in streaming app on the Samsung 4K display in our bedroom. I never tried the other myriad of streaming options I have available. The only way I fixed the issue was by no longer subscribing to Hulu -- I changed cell plans with Sprint, and lost our free Hulu account in the process (but saved $30 per month on my Sprint bill).

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Checked the first 5 episodes on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu on my Apple TV 4 - all show 1.33:1 for me...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If some of the streams are hardcoded as 4x3, rather than pillarboxed as 4x3 within a 16x9 frame, it's possible that either your streaming device or TV is cropping them locally.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
When I watched 4x3 content through the Netflix app on my smart TV, I always had to adjust the settings to get 4x3 content pillarboxed rather than stretched or zoomed.

Since watching Netflix through the Roku, that hasn't been an issue.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the confirmations. I found a Tivo setting for stretch vs windowbox on 4:3 and toggled that, in case it's playing a role. I haven't gone back to the widescreen episodes to see if that fixed things. And I haven't checked the AppleTV since, as the wife prefers using the TiVo for streaming. But the last few episodes I've played on Amazon were 4:3 so it's looking ok so far.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I just sampled a few on Netflix and they’re 4:3 there.

They are the remastered versions with the new (circa 2006 or so) digital effects.

And just to be clear, the only way to watch the original series with the original FX are physical copies of the older DVD sets, or any of the Blu-Ray sets. Streaming/digital download only offer the enhanced effects.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And just to be clear, the only way to watch the original series with the original FX are physical copies of the older DVD sets, or any of the Blu-Ray sets. Streaming/digital download only offer the enhanced effects.
Yeah, I’d like to watch the original-original. But I’ve already paid for the streaming, and it’s so much simpler than dealing with discs.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

To my surprise, I saw that Amazon Prime had both. But I think the original versions were in SD only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks