What's new

Star Trek TOS DVD/HD-DVD coming (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter

That's true, but $200+ is a total rip off for an "alternate" version.

I don't get it really. Many of the people embracing this bastardisation of Trek are the very same people who called for George Lucas' balls on a stick when he messed with Star Wars.

Perhaps Trek is less important to some people. It isn't to me.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

did the Trek guys ruin the original negative in order to create these HD versions? That's what Lucas did for his Special editions

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

And no one has kept classic Trek away from me. I can watch it on TV or DVD anytime i want. Old effects and all! But id also like to watch The Doomsday Machine with NEW effects anytime i want, as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

(comments without actually having seening any on the new remastered eps)
John, the impression I get, is the difference in tone and intent between the two projects (SW and ST).
For one thing, none of the changes in ST seemed to be changing the tone of the sequences or specific story points (both of these happen, for instance, in the new Mos Eisley sequence of SW).
Also, the changes to ST are not predicated on overwriting or completely replacing the originals- which is what Lucas has stated as his intent with SW.
Had Lucas followed this same paradigm, as well as allowing and keeping the originals in print and up to date (ie not using 15 yr old low res masters) in home media, he would be viewed as derisively as he is.

I would have much preffered, rather than seeing redundant content on the sd dvd- that we would have gotten a direct port of the prior sd season release. To me, that would have ben the 'definitive' release, and would have allowed immediate comparision between the old shows (in standard def) and the new modified ones in High def- both versions presented in the way they were originally intended.

As this releas is now, the vast majority of people will be buying ti for either the sd sides or the hd sides, but very, very few will be buying it for both...which means just about everyone is be extorted into paying (excessively) more for this for features they don't need or want.
That is just about the worst marketing blunder I can think of.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

No, but if you could improve the look, make the package super slick, then why not go for it? I'm not saying just whack off the top and bottom and go, I mean do try and frame things so they look good shot to shot. You know, come at it with an artistic eye.

But if done right, why not?

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
John Ross, have you seen the remastered episodes. I see you live in England. It was my understanding it has not been shown their?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Well, why can't Paramount issue the cleaned-up HD original-effects episodes as extras in the same set? That way, you satisfy the purists, the newbies, and the completists all in one whack.

As someone already said, the color grading, etc. was in sore need of improvement, so the current SD sets are nowhere nearly as good as they should be. Add to that the slight edits here and there, and the terrible, terrible "fake" soundtrack on The Cage (not that that will ever be restored to the original even on the HD versions).

John H Ross

Screenwriter

No I haven't seen them. I have, however, seen a good number of screen shots and it doesn't take an idiot to know how these are going to look in the context of the episode. I have also heard the newly recorded (and vastly inferior) Main Title. Why, oh why, oh why...?

I object in principle to the concept. I see no reason for the changes (apart from the obvious $$$$$)

Star Trek is a product of its time. Dodgy effects come with the territory, as do polystyrene rocks, hyper-realistic lighting, minimalist sets and production design. They should have just left well alone.

But now, a model Enterprise that was so famous - and possesed such historic TV significance - that it found its way to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. has been replaced with a run-of-the-mill CG facsimile. And Paramount is boasting about this as a "good thing". Well of course it is, for THEM. They get to sell the whole thing again for (estimated) $600 a pop!

Well good luck to them.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
John- You're certainly entitled to your point of view, and I respect that.

What is interesting here is that the producers of this project felt exactly the same way you do when it was presented to them. Just because they changed their minds and went ahead with the project is not a sign that it's blessed. Robert Justman has approved the effort as has Roddenberry's son, but they had no input or control of the project. I think we all have to make our minds up if it was the right thing or not.

I think it's a fun project. It was rocky at first, but they've got the hang of doing the Enterprise now.

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I am also in England and have seen about 8 episodes of the redone Star Trek.

I think they have done a superb job especially with episodes like The Doomsday Machine. In my view, the changes have not affected the integrity of the original episodes at all; with the exception of the broadcast episodes being cut.

I would have said that I can't wait to see all the episodes in HD but at that price I think I will have to do without. I already have the whole series on DVD and that will suffice until Paramount finally realise that they can't keep ripping us off. With Smallville season 6 in HD for $56 and Heroes season 1 in HD for $73 there is absolutely no justification for charging over $200.

John H Ross

Screenwriter

Let's hope they have to CG all the effects shots in this too - and DS9 and VOY. That way I'll be able to avoid re-buying those too! :)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
judging from the DVDs, the folks doing the opticals worked next to a dry cleaner and left their windows open.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I know the asking price is very high, but a poster on the last page did remark that he was at Comic Con and asked a DVD panel why Paramount prices Star Trek so expensively. Bill Hunt of the Digital Bits was on the panel and did say he had talks with CBS Paramount about the price and that CBS Paramonut are rethinking a new price point.

Oh yeah, I had started a thread in the HD section about the HD testing they are doing for TNG: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...d.php?t=259966

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I was one of the folks that reserved judgement on the Remastered Trek until I saw it.

Briefly, I was impressed. While the CG in the earlier efforts needs improvement, overall they've remained respectful and they've done some beautiful work. The new shots don't pull me out of the story, nor do they alter storylines. (The broadcast cuts, on the other hand, are horrendous... but that isn't Paramount's fault.)

I'm a massive TOS fan. I enjoy the new versions (although yes, the singer on the main theme IS too "up-front".)

However, despite the fact that I'm a massive fan, I can not justify this outragious MSRP. I seriously hope they rethink this.. because while I'd love to have TOS in HD... NOTHING can excuse that ridiculous price.

Nothing.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

I finally caught an ep over the weekend and had the same reaction you did Tony. I thought the cgi was extremely well done, and respectful. Of course we are only talking about 2 or 3 30 second establishing shots, but I was still wondering how well they would mesh with the low budget asethetic of the 60s live action material. And I thought they did well. I was just as, if not more impressed with how well the HD scanned original footage looked. Even on a 480i set, the colors were eye popping. This is going to be a stunner on HD- but like you said its a complete non starter with that price.
For one thing, if nothing else, the HD version should have seemless branching to the original effects in HD. None of this pop up window on 7 eps crap. We aren't talking miles of footage here, just a few minutes per ep.
and then the price needs to come down at least $50-70.
I don't need or want some cheesy quasi video game fly by of the cgi enterprise- just give me the shows looking and sounding great and complete (with full access to the original effects) at a fair cost.

Is that really that hard a concept to understand?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks