What's new

Star Trek TOS DVD/HD-DVD coming (1 Viewer)

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind it the souped upped version, But I will not buy since it's double sided side A side B crap! then the discs will be proned to be scratched, who wants to pay the amount of money when you open box you find a scratch on discs or not handling discs properly it would be a pain in the A** treating it like a Ming Vase!, If it was on Blu-Ray then it wouldn't need to be side A side B discs since it's has more gigabyte memory than HD-DVD! Now the format wars is getting more ridiculous and stupid! If paramount makes it for Blu-ray single sided discs then I would buy it, rather than side A side B discs for HD-DVD

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Gene, if I read your post correctly, the 2 sided discs are not because of limited space to fit the data, it's because one side is standard definition and the other is high definition.

Update: I posted in the HD section:

Startrek.com has a new preview trailer for the HD-DVD set up. It's actually kinda cool! I know the cynical and the like are not buying due to cost, but it's interesting to see this. It covers the features the set has, like the ability to fly around the CGI Enterprise model at your own control(I know, some don't care), how they did the remaster, comments from original Trek creative team, Billy Blackburn's behind the scenes clips, blah, blah , blah.

Here's the link: http://www.startrek.com/startrek/vie...e/2303263.html

The trailer is on the left side, second one down. Hmm, suggested retail price is still $217.99, as it says, suggested price.

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator
Nelson Au said:
Gene, if I read your post correctly, the 2 sided discs are not because of limited space to fit the data, it's because one side is standard definition and the other is high definition.
Ok I mean why can't paramount put everything on one discs, meaning to be one sided discs, so on menu you can choose the souped up version or standard version. I just don't like side A and side B discs it's plain crap and I wouldn't pay that amount of my hard earned dollars for that kind of discs. I prefer single sided discs.

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
Gene M said:

Because the information on the HD-DVD layer (regardless if it's standard or HD) is put on in a much higher density fashion than regular DVD rendering it unreadable in regular DVD players

Glenn Curtis

Stunt Coordinator
I've taken the plunge and decided to order this from DVD Pacific who are charging $135.45 which seems a more reasonable price. This is still too high but not the obscene price Paramount was suggesting.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
everyone knew that NO one was going to end up paying $217. And while it would have been nice if Paramount had set an srp of closer to $175, making it closer to $100 street- I just realized that I'm going to be paying almost $60 (after discounts) each for a full season of The Fugitive and the Streets Of San Francisco- two other CBS/Paramount sets- and those are sets with no special features and in standard definition.
So a little more than twice the price for HD and a full compliment of special features. I personally don't need or value having the standard def side, and am a bit annoyed that because of it I have to pay more for the HD version (and vice versa)- but I also realize that part of the purpose of this set is to prove a point (and the point is not that Paramount can continue to gouge ST fans).

All in all, I'm looking forward to it quite a bit.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
This is great for the folks that want the 'new' versions of the episodes. I'm sticking with the sets that I already have. I've spent enough on Star Trek.

marcus_h

Agent
I won't be buying this either. I've already double dipped too many times and paid premium prices for all the Star Trek series on DVD. No Blu Ray, just HD-DVD, double sided discs, and still an unacceptably high price. Paramount, you can keep your HD-DVD discs.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I posted this in the HD-DVD thread:

The latest news from TVShowsonDVD is that Season 2 in HD-DVD is possibly going to be on store shelves by February or April 2008. No confirmation of course.

And trekmovie.com reports that the CGI effects are done for Season 2 and Season 3 is also slated for a 2008 release.

Also the remastered episodes have begun showing up at the iTunes store again. But bit by bit, so to speak.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I was thinking of finally purchasing the seasons this year and thought with the remastered season sets out that I might be able to find the previous seasons sets at a discount, but that does not appear to be the case. Are they a collectable for some reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks