What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979) (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, I'm glad you guys are liking it. It such a shame this first Star Trek film doesn't get the respect it should get. It's nice to see a good number of people who still admire it.

Josh, I wasn't entirely sure Wise was actually involved in that 1983 TV cut. The way Robert Wise answered the question, it read like it was done by the studio without his involvement. You're right that he said he understood it was for a one time airing and never expected it would be out on home video! But I guess we won't know for sure either way.

I have to finally sit and read Return to Tomorrow.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I was informed by a friend who frequents the Hoffman Forum that David Fein had responded to a thread I started there last year trying to figure out why Star Trek The Motion Picture has not been given the HD treatment and remastering for Blu Ray. I was really frustrated by the lack of effort that Paramount has given the first film. So I was trying to figure it out. So to my surprise after over 6 months of starting that thread, David Fein chimed in himself. He has some interesting comments and somethings that contradict certain "myths" that were just assumed as facts. What he's done is quoted people's comments and responds directly.

What writes gives me cause for optimism. So I hope that it's OK for the forum and for David Fein that I quote him below:

-----------------------------
Hi Guys... I just stumbled onto your thread and I appreciate the conversation, so I thought I'd offer a few thoughts.

There is only one reason that Star Trek: The Motion Picture–The Director's Edition is not out on Blu-Ray yet. Paramount has yet to green light the project. We've had some discussions, and it'll happen, the only question is when are we going to go ahead with it.

"One member at the Home Theater Forum claims to have checked with a Paramount person and said that the individual film elements that were used for all the effects shots are missing." - This is completely false. We have all that we need. Would I like a few more pieces... sure. But we have everything we need.

"I mastered the "director's cut" for Paramount in 1980, and it was never commercially released. Wise cut the film down to 110 minutes, and the assistant editor on the picture told me he was livid when the studio overruled him and cut 12 minutes of the V'Ger VFX sequence back into the film. Wise was smart enough to know it dragged the film down, and he was right. But because the film had gone so grossly over budget, the studio was determined to see "all their money up on the screen," so it went out at 132 minutes." I've had many discussions with Bob about the film and the final days of Post, and I can not see how any of this statement could have happened under those extreme circumstances.

"Most of the issues revolve around redoing the new visual effects for the director's cut--they were rendered in SD not HD and it would be fairly expensive to do from scratch. They could upscale them but they wouldn't look great at 4K much less 2K. It's certainly possible that the film elements for the DC were mislabeled." All of the shots in the film were created with HD in mind so the quality of the models and elements were much higher than the SD renderings. We have everything, and when the time is right, we'll use them. Again, there is no truth that anything is missing.

"You are very much correct about the low lighting on the bridge set to accommodate the CRT displays used on the bridge." This is almost correct, there were projectors, projecting film onto the displays on the bridge, not CRTs. The low lighting was to accommodate the projector displays, but also to set a far more intimate mood. The color timing for the Director's Edition is exactly right, whereas the Blu-ray of the theatrical is very inaccurate.

"As I understand it, the TMP bridge console displays at one point were animations displayed by rear projection via 16mm projectors. One article I read several years ago regarding TMP's production seemed to suggest that the ambient noise on the bridge set from the 16mm projectors was so loud as a result that recording the crew lines on the bridge set ranged from difficult to impossible." Yep, I didn't see this was stated. Good job!

"Vidiot's thinking that Sumner Redstone is part of the issue is new to me and I had to read up on him to understand what the issue is. The Viacom CEO is trying to sell a minority stake of Paramount Studios and Sumner Redstone is blocking that. Sounds like lots of lawyers now are fighting it out with the Redstone family. This must be part of the turmoil. Though I can only guess why executives at Paramount are under pressure or getting fired. So the whole video department at Paramount is likely only concentrating on new releases and not worrying about the legacy films they have in their library. Shame given it's the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek and you'd think they'd treasure one of their golden gooses. And years earlier they were investing in the legacy films such as the Godfather and The 10 Commandments and so forth to give them proper restorations and preserving them." Immmm..... well put.

"Karl Urban likes Star Trek The Motion Picture a lot" - I like Karl Urban as McCoy!

Thanks, and I hope this helps and I really appreciate your support of the film and the project.

David C. Fein
Producer
Star Trek: The Motion Picture – The Director's Edition

David C. Fein, Wednesday at 2:58 AM

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Forgive me for being the negative one, but I don't think there's any new news here. We've known from the start that they were capable of re-rendering the new effects elements in HD. The issue then and now remains that Paramount has no interest in doing so. That hasn't changed. Fein can say that it's technically possible, but that's never been in doubt.

Here is an incomplete list of occasions Paramount has had that they could have used as an occasion to bring this out.
-The first release of the movie on Blu-ray, as well as any subsequent repackaging (there have been at least three)
-The release of Star Trek '09 in theaters
-The release of Star Trek '09 on disc
-Alongside the remastered TNG discs (seven individual season releases, plus a teaser release and a separate complete series release)
-Alongside the remastered TOS discs (three individual season releases and a separate complete series release)
-The Star Trek Into Darkness theatrical release
-The Star Trek Into Darkness disc release
-The Star Trek Beyond theatrical release
-The Star Trek Beyond disc release
-The Star Trek Animated Series disc release
-In the 50th anniversary box set
-Alongside the TWOK directors cut BD
-Alongside the Roddenberry Vault release
-The movie's own anniversary dates

If Paramount had any interest in doing this, it would have come out with any of the numerous occasions listed above. That it hasn't shows where their priorities are.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
Thanks for posting that Nelson. I, for one, did not know they had all they need to produce a HD version. I thought the effects and work were strictly SD. In my view, there is hope for a future release but apparently, no time soon. Perhaps when all films make the 4K jump?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
They've had all they needed since the beginning. They started doing the work with the idea that the movie might have been given a theatrical re-release for its then 20th anniversary (something Fox/Lucasfilm had done to great commercial success with Star Wars) but then the studio got cold feet and it became a home video only project, which meant the resources were only available to do it in the SD video realm. If Wise had gotten his way, it would have been done at theatrical-level quality in the first place.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You're forgiven Josh. :)

I agree Gary! The main take from this for me is that for years many has stated the new CGI effects for the DC are in the SD realm and would require re-rendering to make them available for a HD transfer. I think that came from Daren Dochterman, but Mr. Fein is refuting this and the CGI assets are in the HD realm. I agree Josh that technically, they have the materials. But it seems the materials are ready to go, without any re-rendering necessary.

The other take is that Paramount knows they have this and that there are people ready to make it happen. But they are not ready to green-light the budget to remaster the film. I say, let's get the pitchforks out and let Paramount know that we want this released! I realize that the current regime there are likely a boatload of children, to quote Star Trek 2. They are not Trek friendly or don't see the value of the legacy films. This first film to me is an important piece in rebuilding the franchise. I know a lot of people don't like it. And perhaps that's the biggest roadblock. But I'm not giving up on it.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
You're forgiven Josh. :)

I agree Gary! The main take from this for me is that for years many has stated the new CGI effects for the DC are in the SD realm and would require re-rendering to make them available for a HD transfer. I think that came from Daren Dochterman, but Mr. Fein is refuting this and the CGI assets are in the HD realm. I agree Josh that technically, they have the materials. But it seems the materials are ready to go, without any re-rendering necessary.

The other take is that Paramount knows they have this and that there are people ready to make it happen. But they are not ready to green-light the budget to remaster the film. I say, let's get the pitchforks out and let Paramount know that we want this released! I realize that the current regime there are likely a boatload of children, to quote Star Trek 2. They are not Trek friendly or don't see the value of the legacy films. This first film to me is an important piece in rebuilding the franchise. I know a lot of people don't like it. And perhaps that's the biggest roadblock. But I'm not giving up on it.

Agreed!
Thanks for the posts Nelson!
I'd love to have the directors cut on blu ray!!!

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I saw TMP in 79 in theaters. Owned the VHS and laserdisc versions on home video. I became accustomed to the even longer cut there. I don't mind the DC edit in regards to content. I was just never happy with changing the sound design. I'm used to, and fine with the new transporter sound FX in the 79 cut. I don't need it to sound like the 60's series. The computer voice is very much in line with how military aircraft acted in the 70's to a new threat to the craft. I found it forward thinking. Don't care for changing the shuttlecraft too. Just seems like too many changes for the sake of change. Takes me out of the movie when I see it now. Call me old fashioned.

LCD22

Screenwriter
When was the last time the Special Longer Version aired on television? Coming from a non-Trekkie/Trekker/whatever fans are calling themselves nowadays, who never cared for the original series or the animated series, The Motion Picture is a personal favorite. It wasn't until last year that I finally owned The Wrath of Khan. While I blind purchased the Director's Edition DVD of the first film, the Special Longer Version is the cut I'm absolutely in love with and I'm ready for a release of all 3 cuts.

As for the rest in the film series? Not only would I upgrade III and IV (if all the extras including the text commentaries are ported over) but I would like to have a new 4K transfer for the theatrical cut of VI in its original theatrical aspect ratio (with both the Director's Cut and Special Home Video Version).

Last edited:

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
I was just never happy with changing the sound design... I don't need it to sound like the 60's series.

In total agreement. This was, after all (to paraphrase Decker) an almost totally new Enterprise. There's no reason any of the sound FX, computer voice, etc. would be the same as the TV show. If the DC were remastered, I think the sound design should either revert to the theatrical, or that there at least be a second soundtrack option to preserve the original sound.

I'm also not a huge fan of the new opening titles. Yes, the originals were extremely bland, but the CG starfield in the new ones was just distracting, to me.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'm not a fan of the ST-TMP directors cut but I would still like to own it in HD, i might some day get the urge to see a tweaked version of the theatrical edition I've watched well over a hundred times over the decades. It's my favorite of the 13 Trek films released so far.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
As I have said repeatedly in other threads, the template for this kind of movie (with multiple cuts) should be the Close Encounters blu-ray, which contains every version of the film on blu-ray, through seamless branching. The Blade Runner blu-ray is another fine example.

How great would it be to see a TMP blu-ray with the theatrical cut, the home video cut and the director's cut (my favorite) together? As long as Paramount remains focused on box sets and treating Star Trek like a redheaded stepchild, it will never happen.

LCD22

Screenwriter
As I have said repeatedly in other threads, the template for this kind of movie (with multiple cuts) should be the Close Encounters blu-ray, which contains every version of the film on blu-ray, through seamless branching. The Blade Runner blu-ray is another fine example.

How great would it be to see a TMP blu-ray with the theatrical cut, the home video cut and the director's cut (my favorite) together? As long as Paramount remains focused on box sets and treating Star Trek like a redheaded stepchild, it will never happen.

Dammit, where did I put that pitchfork? I will fight for this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I watched TMP again yesterday, for the first time in several years. It was the director's cut, on DVD of course, projected on a 108" screen. It was special because I was introducing my kids to it for the first time. They're 8, and they've been enjoying Star Trek TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

To be honest, they were a bit bored by it, although they both said they liked it. I had much the same reaction the first time I saw it, when I was 12. My wife said - and she's not wrong - that the movie feels like it's 50% reaction shots. That said, I appreciated the story and the craftsmanship of the movie more than ever. I told them how before this movie, Star Trek had only ever been seen on TV screens, and not even TVs like we have now; ones that had much weaker pictures, so many of the shots, especially of the Enterprise in spacedock were absolutely thrilling for audiences.

The film is in desperate need of a high-def upgrade. I found the image blurry and the colors lacked vibrancy. I suppose I have been spoiled by blu-ray, but if we want future generations to watch this film, it has to have an upgrade to HD. (Same goes for DS9 and Voyager.)

Where the film was instructive was for our discussion after the film. I explained how every movie didn't need a "bad guy" and that this story was both about the search for one's god and the attainment of qualities that go beyond pure science - that the human element was of value, despite its flaws. They seemed to get that.

This morning they watched "Space Seed" (on glorious blu-ray). Wrath of Khan is next (also on blu-ray).

Tino

Taken For Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I tried watching the DVD directors cut recently. It was unwatchable on my new OLED. It looked terrible.

Btw I prefer the theatrical cut overall because that's the version I fell I love with.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
By pure coincidence I watched Star Trek TMP and Star Trek II last night on blu-ray - double bill and I'm now watching Search for Spock with The Voyage Home to follow after.

Like Tino I prefer the original 1979 theatrical for the same reasons he does, I've seen that version well over a hundred times since seeing it at the cinema on original release. The directors cut is interesting and I would buy it on blu-ray if it ever gets released but it's not my preferred version.

FWIW I also prefer the original Richard Lester cut of Superman II to the so-called much-lauded Donner Cut which was fascinating on first view and not something I want to see again in a hurry.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I watched TMP again yesterday, for the first time in several years. It was the director's cut, on DVD of course, projected on a 108" screen. It was special because I was introducing my kids to it for the first time. They're 8, and they've been enjoying Star Trek TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise.

To be honest, they were a bit bored by it, although they both said they liked it. I had much the same reaction the first time I saw it, when I was 12. My wife said - and she's not wrong - that the movie feels like it's 50% reaction shots. That said, I appreciated the story and the craftsmanship of the movie more than ever. I told them how before this movie, Star Trek had only ever been seen on TV screens, and not even TVs like we have now; ones that had much weaker pictures, so many of the shots, especially of the Enterprise in spacedock were absolutely thrilling for audiences.

The film is in desperate need of a high-def upgrade. I found the image blurry and the colors lacked vibrancy. I suppose I have been spoiled by blu-ray, but if we want future generations to watch this film, it has to have an upgrade to HD. (Same goes for DS9 and Voyager.)

Where the film was instructive was for our discussion after the film. I explained how every movie didn't need a "bad guy" and that this story was both about the search for one's god and the attainment of qualities that go beyond pure science - that the human element was of value, despite its flaws. They seemed to get that.

This morning they watched "Space Seed" (on glorious blu-ray). Wrath of Khan is next (also on blu-ray).

I agree with your about the thrill of seeing The Enterprise on a huge screen in 1979 after years of TV reruns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks