What's new

Star Trek Laserdisc Box Set? (1 Viewer)

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm looking for a box set for the Star Trek fims on laserdisc. Is there a definitive box set collection and how much do they usually go for?

IanS

Stunt Coordinator
The first five films came out many years ago in a box set, pressed by Pioneer in Japan, great transfers. No AC-3 at that time but it was as good as you could get at the time.
Ian

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
I have the set IanS is referring to. Not in mint condition, in still in good shape. If you're interested, let me know.
Thanks.

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
I have this set which was released in 1995.
13023-4527-6_front.jpg

13023-4527-6_back.jpg

It contained all the movies through Generations (which was the only AC-3 title) Further info can be found at http://www.oz.net/blam/StarTrek/Collections.htm
Waiting for the SE...
My DVD Collection
[Edited last by Nathan Webel on October 22, 2001 at 08:57 PM]
[Edited last by Nathan Webel on October 22, 2001 at 09:00 PM]

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
It's on Japanese LD for sure. It had two releases, actually.
PILF-2786 has AC-3 and burned-in subtitles in the lower blacked area.
PDIL-2787 is the multi-audio version. It has Pro-Logic sound. The digital PCM track has an English soundtrack. The analog track is dubb'ed Japanese. With this LD you get the full usefulness of LD-Graphics too! You can switch between subtitles off, English, or Japanese.
I have both...Best wishes from Laserland!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Star Trek: Insurrection was released to domestic LD - I've owned two (sold both - they go for around $50 on Ebay) as well as a Japanese import. This is what it looks like (this isn't mine): Star Trek Insurrection
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on October 23, 2001 at 07:08 AM]

Jeff

Supporting Actor
I used to own ST Generations and First Contact LD's. I thought they looked terrible. There was way too much video noise for some reason. Not the "normal" amount associate with LD's.
However, the 5.1 sound was amazing.
Jeff

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
There never really was a "definitive" boxed set.
After Generations was released, Paramount then marketed a "Movie Voyages Boxed Set" that Nathan posted the picture of. It consisted of all the available WS LD releases up to that time. And, the separately purchased Generations disc had a printed flier in the sleeve offering the empty box only (for something like $25) for those who may have already had all the previous discs (like I did, except for ST:5). There were no new transfers done for that set.
I never bought the box, but I still have that offer in the Generations sleeve. And, of course, First Contact and Insurrection would have to be left out.
Joel

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Hey Rachael!
Long time...Turn subtitles off on LDs?!?!?!
I did not think that was possible....any player (I don't have a subtitles button on my remote dammit)
How comes they didn't use that on the TPM??? (You mean I could throw out my black cardboard and velcro...the horror!)
Hope all is well in God's country
Grant
------------------
Why?
Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
I am a superhero!
A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
-Space Ghost..

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Grant, the only U.S. player with LD-Graphics was the Denon LA-3500. It has a button for LD-G on the front panel. Pioneer players have the buttons on the remote. SWPM has the subtitles "burned-in" on the film. It has Anglash sub's that can be superimposed over the Japanese. When doing this you can sometimes see the edges of the Japanese.
The sub's on discs need not be burned-in, but usually were. I don't know when LD-G was introduced, but presumably after there was a substantial installed base of players in Japan. So, I presume, sub's were burned in for older players that didn't suppourt LD-G. Also, I believe, the studios preferred burned-in sub's because of their boot-legging worries, paranoia.
Muse LD's all have burned-in subtitles which was a step backward! I'm sure that was a condition for release that the studios imposed. The HLD-X9 does not even suppourt LD-G for NTSC LD.
LD-Graphics never really got used to it's full potential, which is a shame. It would be very nice to have removeable subtitles on LD's. The potential for multiple subtitles on LD would be for over ten sets via LD-G too.
Between Muse LD and LD-G, the Laserdisc format had alot of unfulfilled potential.
I hope you're having fun with your latest player, the 504 we chatted about. With all those cheap discs you're collecting, soon you'll want an even nicer player! The way folks are dumping the format, you'll proably find an even nicer player soon enough and for relatively cheap. Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks