What's new

Star Trek films on Blu-Ray... what we know so far (2 Viewers)

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Originally Posted by En35edina
I did a search and I couldn't find a dedicated thread so away we go!
10.jpg
Here you go: Star Trek sequel scheduled for May 17, 2013

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Osato said:
+1 The Director's Cut should be on blu ray. It's silly that it is still unreleased. The DC of 2 and the alternate versions of 6 should also be on blu ray.
+37 It would be great if they could just say that there are plans for the alternate versions in the fututre---even if they weren't specific on the dates. At this point I'd be happy if we got them for 2016. Do they not realize there is demand for these versions? And deleted scenes!! I've seen 'em from Wrath of Khan, they're great and would be a selling point.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Camper said:
+37 It would be great if they could just say that there are plans for the alternate versions in the fututre---even if they weren't specific on the dates. At this point I'd be happy if we got them for 2016. Do they not realize there is demand for these versions? And deleted scenes!! I've seen 'em from Wrath of Khan, they're great and would be a selling point.
I agree 100%. As the only plans for the films this year is the individual releases, we will have to wait until 2016 and / or the next Star Trek film.

Paramount seems to be taking their time with the blu ray releases of the Trek films. That is they have put out the box sets, a few individual Trek films, now the rest of the Trek films individually.

So maybe next round of releases will be the new cuts and transfers.

Interesting that the older films do not have the original theatrical audio mixes.

In fact a new audio mix was created for TMP blu ray release.

Lockjaw

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Amazon is currently blowing out the 6 original movie set at $34.99---if only that were because they have been tipped that a new set is coming soon!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Lockjaw said:
Amazon is currently blowing out the 6 original movie set at $34.99---if only that were because they have been tipped that a new set is coming soon!!
Agreed!

Lockjaw

Agent
Real Name
Mike
6 weeks later and it's on sale again for $36. I don't know if we'll ever get a more complete release but they pretty well won't have too much old stock on hand.

Lockjaw

Agent
Real Name
Mike
Wow, now the box set is $33 from Amazon. If they choose never to release the extended versions in a set it seems they will have to repress the older set again. I mean how many of the sets from 2009 can still be floating around with bargin prices like this for weeks on end?

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lockjaw said:
Wow, now the box set is $33 from Amazon. If they choose never to release the extended versions in a set it seems they will have to repress the older set again. I mean how many of the sets from 2009 can still be floating around with bargin prices like this for weeks on end?
It's only a bargain if you think the quality of the transfers is good enough, it isn't good enough.

Lockjaw

Agent
Real Name
Mike
No sorry, I agree that there is room for improvement in the picture qualtiy, but these are not horrible and $33 for a movie 6 pack---is a bargin.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Lockjaw said:
No sorry, I agree that there is room for improvement in the picture qualtiy, but these are not horrible and $33 for a movie 6 pack---is a bargin.
Some of them are not horrible, the two i mentioned are very horrible for a blu ray release, in my opinion the only one which is fine by modern standards is Star Trek 2 and even then there is arguments about the colour timing, by all means call it a bargain but i am personally waiting for the inevitable re-release where Paramount actually make an effort and do new film scans, it should happen by the end of 2014, i have patience, in the meantime i'd recommend renting to most people.

Lockjaw

Agent
Real Name
Mike
FoxyMulder said:
Some of them are not horrible, the two i mentioned are very horrible for a blu ray release, in my opinion the only one which is fine by modern standards is Star Trek 2 and even then there is arguments about the colour timing, by all means call it a bargain but i am personally waiting for the inevitable re-release where Paramount actually make an effort and do new film scans, it should happen by the end of 2014, i have patience, in the meantime i'd recommend renting to most people.
Well, that's exactly what I am waiting for myself!! Been waiting 4+ years now---Hopefully 2016 at the very latest.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No doubt the bargain deals of the current blu ray box set of the original films is a tie-in to the Into Darkness release and take advantage of the interest in Star Trek the new film generates. I am sure that Paramount is totally aware of our desire and hope for a proper reissue of the original films and more urgently for me, the DC of The Motion Picture. So I still have hope that there is a quiet effort going on in the vaults at Paramount of technicians in white lab coats carrying on the job.

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I remember the theory being not so long ago that near the release of "Into Darkness" we'd finally get a Blu-ray of TMP-DC. Still waiting. C'mon, Paramount!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Cinescott said:
I remember the theory being not so long ago that near the release of "Into Darkness" we'd finally get a Blu-ray of TMP-DC. Still waiting. C'mon, Paramount!
I still wouldn't count out the possibility of re-releases coming out with or near the new movie's video release in the fall.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
TravisR said:
I still wouldn't count out the possibility of re-releases coming out with or near the new movie's video release in the fall.
I would imagine Paramount might be disappointed in the new film's box office take, it cost a lot to make and promote and seems to be heading for about the same gross worldwide as the 2009 one, that might stop the beanpole counters from giving the go ahead for money for new film scans of the older flicks, i really wanted to see this new film do better than it is because i think that would maybe ensure more love and devotion on the older films.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
FoxyMulder said:
I would imagine Paramount might be disappointed in the new film's box office take, it cost a lot to make and promote and seems to be heading for about the same gross worldwide as the 2009 one, that might stop the beanpole counters from giving the go ahead for money for new film scans of the older flicks, i really wanted to see this new film do better than it is because i think that would maybe ensure more love and devotion on the older films.
Yes, but at the same time, I think the blu-rays of TNG and Enterprise are surpassing expectations.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, the good people at CBS are not affiliated with the good people in the film division of Paramount. Because I agree, they would do a nice job on the films!

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
At this point, I would agree that it's unlikely that Paramount will put much more effort into re-releasing the older Star Trek movies onto Blu-ray. With the box office performance of the new movie, I'm now seriously wondering if they're really going to make more movies using this reboot idea. If they do, they'll need to lower the budget to a much more reasonable level. I think it's possible that they may return to the idea of TV show, but that wouldn't be for another few years.

As for the movies on Blu-ray, I would only expect a possible Blu-ray of the Director's Edition of TMP, and that probably wouldn't be for another few years as well.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I always wonder why studios place so much emphasis on predictions for what the box office returns should be on a movie. Star Trek Into Darkness according to Boxoffice mojo has currently earned $258 million worldwide. $155 million in the US alone. I think they were expecting that much on the opening 3 day weekend. But it failed to reach that in the first 3 days. Seems like a solid success to me, not knowing how much Paramount investing in the making of the movie or marketing. Hopefully Paramount knows that the franchise is still a very viable one. And that an investment into new blu rays could be profitable if properly managed and produced and marketed as improved versions with the DC's. I know, I'm an optimist. I just hate to wait till 2014 to find out. Of course that long a wait will help distance any new release from the last blu rays.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks