What's new

Star Trek Beyond (2016) (2 Viewers)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
WHAT?????
I think I've seen one episode of TOS & TNG each and I saw First Contact (and that was just to see the Star Wars special edition trailer but I did like the movie). As a kid, neither of my parents and none of my friends were into Trek so I basically never saw it. Then as I got older, there was so many TV series and movies that it was just too much to get into so I never bothered then either. I have to say that the new movies do pique my interest for the TOS and movies.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think I've seen one episode of TOS & TNG each and I saw First Contact (and that was just to see the Star Wars special edition trailer but I did like the movie). As a kid, neither of my parents and none of my friends were into Trek so I basically never saw it. Then as I got older, there was so many TV series and movies that it was just too much to get into so I never bothered then either. I have to say that the new movies do pique my interest for the TOS and movies.
You should watch TOS ST II, III and IV when you get a chance. They're really one story and a lot of fun. Each movie couldn't be more different. If you like those and want more, then watch I, V and VI. That's my two cents.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

The very first Star Trek anything I ever encountered was Star Trek VI on opening weekend - my dad really wanted to go so he brought me along, and it blew my mind, and I've been hooked since then. There's really no "wrong" place to start.

That said, I'd recommend what I've been doing with my fiance, who came to Trek similarly to you: through the new movies. She had never seen the older movies or shows, but was willing to give it a try. So I showed her a handful of TOS episodes, and then we've been working our way through the original movies. (I will do the same for TNG and the TNG movies with her eventually.) I would be very happy to recommend a few episodes if you'd like.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I really enjoyed it. I really, really enjoyed the first Abrams Star Trek movie, but Star Trek Into Darkness was a disappointment since it felt like an unnecessary rehash. This one regained the sense of fun from the 2009 film, and paired it with the sense of stepping onto into the unknown, where anything can happen.

I also liked that the plot revolved around problem solving rather than action set pieces, though the action set pieces were at times spectacular. The movie quickly puts the crew of the Enterprise in just about the worst possible position, and then spends the remainder of the running time watching them get out of it.

The plan to take out the hive ships by flooding their VHF coordination frequency with "Sabotage" by the Beastie Boys was inspired; it was a technological solution to a practical problem, but it was rooted enough in technology that 21st century audiences would be at least passingly familiar with that it didn't just seem like technological gobbledygook.

Sofia Boutella was great as Jaylah. Jaylah was incredibly resourceful, but she wasn't a Wesley Crusher-esque Mary Sue. She had limitations organic to her background and situation.

I wish Quinto would stop making Spock more emotional with every movie. Makes me appreciate Nimoy's Spock even more.
Nimoy's Spock could be emotional too, but it was like small ripples on the surface of a vast ocean. When Quinto's Spock gets emotional, it's like large splashes in a small puddle. His Spock just feels much closer to the surface than Nimoy's did.

It doesn't affect the Prime Universe timeline any, since that's still ticking along independent of the Kelvin Universe as a parallel reality. What that basically means is, whatever happens in the new Abrams-verse is still "canon" for that timeline, but not binding at all upon the original continuity (which is where the 2017 TV series could still end up being set).
Technically, anything that happened prior to Nemo's arrival in 2233 should be identical in both timelines, and therefore canon in both timelines. As a result, the USS Franklin would have existed in both timelines under the command of Captain Balthazar Edison, and vanished in 2164. But while it was found and retrieved in the Kelvin timeline, it is probably still missing, fate unknown, in the original timeline.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sure, I don't know when I'll get a chance to check them out but it's always good to have some recommendations.

I'm sure that everyone will have their own two cents to throw in - this isn't meant to be comprehensive, just a sort of list of ones I enjoy watching - there are plenty of good ones not here, this is not meant to say "these are the very best and all others suck"

(listed in production order)
1. The Cage (the original pilot episode - featuring Captain Pike instead of Captain Kirk)
2. Where No Man Has Gone Before (the second pilot - Captain Kirk's first appearance)
3. The Corbomite Maneuver (an early "bottle" show, but I think it has good tension - notice that they haven't fully nailed the characterization for Spock yet)
4. Mudd's Women (a rare comedic episode)
5. The Enemy Within (you've probably seen this spoofed before, Kirk gets split into two when the transporter malfunctions)
6. The Naked Time
7. Balance Of Terror (essentially a WWII submarine thriller in space)
8. Shore Leave (whimsical and fun)
9. Tomorrow Is Yesterday (accidental time travel to the 60s)
10. Space Seed (first appearance of Khan)
11. This Side Of Paradise (great Spock episode)
12. The Devil In The Dark (Shatner's favorite episode)
13. The City On The Edge Of Forever (considered by many to be the very best episode)
14. Amok Time (fantastic Spock episode, first time seeing his home world)
15. The Doomsday Machine
16. Mirror, Mirror
17. The Trouble With Tribbles (ends up at the top of most people's favorites list)

Now that I'm thinking about it, I think these were by coincidence some of the very first ones I ever saw too.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great list Josh. Those first season episodes really establish the set-up for the characters and the series. I would add a few more:

1. Metamorphosis, one of my very favorite second season episodes. On par with Devil in the Dark.
2. A Taste of Armegeddon, a first season favorite, I always internally battle the answer that Kirk uses to solve the problem.
3. The Galileo Seven, Spock's trial by fire.
4. Charlie X. A really sensitive episode and one for Grace Lee Whitney and Robert Walker to shine in.
5. Errand of Mercy, the first Klingon episode and a terrific one with Kor played by John Colicos with such conviction. It will be Glorious!
6. The Enterprise Incident, because of the Romulan Commander and Spock's secret.
7. Elaan of Troyius. Terrific episode!
8. The Ultimate Computer, with the news stories about self driving cars, it might have renewed interest.
9. A Private Little War, good morality story.
10. The Empath, this episode has a very dark tone and feels a little like The Outer Limits. Katherine Hays is terrific in it.
11. Day of the Dove, another great Klingon episode.
12. That Which Survives, good fun.
13. Requiem for Methusilah, I really enjoy the idea of the story.
14. Spectre of the Gun, an episode that feels like a first season episode with a good twist.
15. Arena, famous for the Gorn, Vasquez Rocks and a terrific battle with Kirk alone against the Gorn.
16. The Changeling

Oh heck, you might as well see the entire series. :). But the ones Josh listed and the ones I listed are good ones, of course everyone's mileage will vary.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Nelson, that's a fantastic list too --- pretty much everything on yours would make up a "part two" of my list.

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Saw "Beyond" yesterday, in 3D.

Enjoyed it, as I enjoyed the first two movies in this reboot series. Good combination of action and human-interest stuff (I like more action, and we get that, LOL, but the HI stuff was good too). Don't need to see it in 3D as despite all the big SFX it isn't really used aggressively but still added to the action in spots. Even if you agree with Takei that Sulu shouldn't be gay, the film doesn't dwell on it so can't see how it's a big deal in terms of this movie. The action was very good and yet didn't overwhelm the story, it wasn't convoluted story telling like in some of the big comic book films these days.

Only quibble is that the final scenes were drawn out too much, seemed like they "definitively" ended the Big Threat 3 or 4 times, but each time there turned out to be One More Thing that had to be stopped!!! But that is a minor quibble.

I'm a fan of the new crew and always have been, think they do a fine job of portraying the characters in a way that is respectful to the original series but doesn't blatantly mimic them, and the original is the only Trek series I care about. Plus there was the added poignancy of having lost Anton and Nimoy since the last film.

Anyway, my 2 cents.

Last edited:

AshJW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Josh, Nelson and Bryan, great lists and all worth watching episodes.

Travis, that should do it to get the feeling of TOS.
Btw, to the episode "Mirror, Mirror": There is a wonderful mirror-episode in the fourth season of ENTerprise. :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I was skeptical of this movie. After the last one and what we were seeing of the production, it just didn't inspire a lot of faith. As a big Star Trek fan, I'm obviously more demanding than a casual viewer looking for a decent movie on a Saturday.

I liked Beyond; it was a refreshing visit to the Trek universe. The cast really nailed their parts, the visuals were stunning, especially the Yorktown.

I didn't love it. Many scenes in the first half are too dark to see what is happening; that's not only frustrating but it takes you out of the movie. I hated the rapid edits throughout the film. Why spend so much time and money on sets, effects and the like if the audience can't see and appreciate them? We've come a long way from the reveal of the Enterprise in TMP.

I saw nice elements of TOS in the story, but there were a lot of holes. Why did Krall look the way he did? Who were the soldiers fighting alongside him? Where did they get that massive armada of ships? Did we need another movie with a villain hellbent on revenge? And I hate seeing the Enterprise destroyed; the shot of the saucer crashing is right out of Generations. And PS: Kirk Prime never had his ship destroyed; he blew it up himself rather than let those Klingon bastards get it.

Quinto seemed off as Spock. Maybe it was Spock Prime's death affecting him, but he lacked a certain confidence he had before. He needs his mojo back. Pine, Urban, Saldana, Cho, and Yelchin were great. I liked the extra screen time Pegg had; he was terrific. I wish the original cast had been given equal time to shine.

I will look forward to seeing it again, but I can't say I like this type of film making; if that makes me old-fashioned, too bad. So, while I liked the movie and wanted to spend more time with the cast, it was a mixed bag for me.

Last edited:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
That was the one big negative for me. I really enjoyed the film, but absolutely hate fast cut editing and shakey cam stuff, and it seemed like most of the action sequences were done that way, and I find that I just can't follow the action as it all becomes a blur. Honestly, those scenes reminded me of the battle scenes in Transformers.

I also thought that dialog intelligibility in general was not great, and Krall in particular was very difficult to understand.

I also loathe shakycam - which is why I was surprised to hear comments about the camerawork. As I noted, I'm pretty vulnerable to motion sickness, and that wasn't an issue at all for me. I also didn't think the camerawork was excessively "shaky".

Maybe I've been beaten down by too much shakycam! :)

I DID notice - and get annoyed by - the standard issue teal coloring, though...

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I also loathe shakycam - which is why I was surprised to hear comments about the camerawork. As I noted, I'm pretty vulnerable to motion sickness, and that wasn't an issue at all for me. I also didn't think the camerawork was excessively "shaky".

Maybe I've been beaten down by too much shakycam! :)

I DID notice - and get annoyed by - the standard issue teal coloring, though...

I probably blended shaky cam and fast editing cuts together incorrectly. Lots of fast cuts in the action sequences for sure.

As of the plot, who here that has seen the film did not expect, once it was determined that it was necessary to disrupt communications between all the drone ships, to have Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith beam in with a vintage Mac laptop to upload a virus? I guess "beats and screaming", depending on your thoughts on the Beastie Boys, is kind of the same thing. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I probably blended shaky cam and fast editing cuts together incorrectly. Lots of fast cuts in the action sequences for sure.
Yeah, the fight sequences were very rapidly edited and that coupled with how they were shot could occasionally make it tough to get a sense of geography or even who someone was fighting. It wasn't like it wrecked the movie but I can see it as a complaint and I don't think that kind of mistake is something that the better action directors would do.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I saw nice elements of TOS in the story, but there were a lot of holes. Why did Krall look the way he did? Who were the soldiers fighting alongside him? Where did they get that massive armada of ships?
It's mentioned in a few places in the film (esp. Idris Elba's "captain's logs" videos) that the Franklin crew discovered an entire abandoned alien civilization possessing the mutational technology that extended the survivors' lifespans, and I think the soliders were actually automatons, as opposed to organics (we never see any of them unmasked).

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Why did Krall look the way he did?
When the U.S.S. Franklin crash landed on the planet, Edison discovered indigenous technology that allowed him to extended his life by sucking the life out of others. But the process changed him, and he took on characteristics of the species whose lifeforce he fed on. Presumably the species he fed on looked more or less like he did in his Krall form. By sucking the life out of humans among the Enterprise crew, he was able to return to looking human.

Who were the soldiers fighting alongside him?
It appeared that they were mostly other surviving USS Franklin crew, who'd transformed in the same way he had by extending their lives with the same technology.

Where did they get that massive armada of ships? Did we need another movie with a villain hellbent on revenge? And I hate seeing the Enterprise destroyed; the shot of the saucer crashing is right out of Generations.
I do agree with all of this.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I also feel compelled to say something about the previews I saw before the film. Obviously, everyone's previews aren't the same and this is no reflection on Star Trek Beyond, but I saw Jack Reacher 2, Jason Bourne, XXX Return of Xander, Rogue One, Deepwater Horizon, and one or two others. With the exception of Rogue One (which everyone has seen for a few months now), there was an incredible sameness to these previews. Each one featured a tough guy in the middle of the action, lots of tough talk all around him, lots of build-up of fear, a good chunk of destruction and lots of guys hitting each other.

Every one of these movies looked generic. I have no interest in seeing any of them (except Rogue One, of course). And it made me wonder: Do the people who put together these things not realize that they're going to be shown with trailers for other movies that are probably pretty similar? And do they take no steps to make their film's trailer stand out?

At a time when well-choreographed fights are part of every show on television (to the point where there's a sameness there too), why are they part of every movie ever?

I used to enjoy seeing trailers before movies. It was 15 minutes of mentally adding things to my to-see list. Now it's just 15 minutes of eye-rolling.

There is an art to trailers that is missing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It appeared that they were mostly other surviving USS Franklin crew, who'd transformed in the same way he had by extending their lives with the same technology.
See, that's the part I was kinda fuzzy on, too (trying to remember what was established in the movie) -- at one point, Edison mentions in the logs that there were only two other remaining survivors among his original crew left (implying that the rest had been killed off somehow), and we also see Commodore Paris closing out those few remaining crew-files at the very end of the movie.

On the other hand, they found an entire armada of alien swarm-fighters (far, far exceeding in number the crew-threshold of what a 22nd century NX-class starship would have possessed), and each fighter required at least one manual pilot, leading me to wonder if either that alien civilization was in stasis and reawakened by the Franklin crew, or if they were androids of some kind.

Looks like I'm gonna have to rewatch this movie again. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There is an art to trailers that is missing.
I don't know if you saw it previously but the trailer for Lights Out caught my attention because the opening part of it just showed a spooky scene before getting into the usual horror movie trailer rapid cuts, LOUD noises and screaming. I didn't care that much for the movie but the trailer was very effective because part of it went against the grain and let a scene play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks