What's new

Standard tv on HD sets (1 Viewer)

JGiampa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Giampa
I feel like standard tv looks bad on my HDTV. I don't think it's because I am comparing it to the HD channels.

Why is it that standard tv looks better on non HD tvs?

Joe

[Hborea]Raistlin

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin Thompson
I had the same problem when I got mine--only thing I could do was run an S-Video cable, instead of regular coax, directly from the box to the back of the TV... Maybe someone has a better idea..? I just know that compared to the regular HD cables, the S-video for regular channels worked a lot better for me..

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos

This statement is somewhat confusing. I assume by "HD cables" you mean component video, which should ALWAYS look better than s-video even for SD broadcasts, especially on larger screens. But of course, s-video will always look better than running the RF coaxial connection from the box to the TV.

[Hborea]Raistlin

Auditioning
Real Name
Benjamin Thompson

Not for me--the component video cables looked terrible vs. S-Video on SD broadcasts.. Well, maybe not terrible--but definitely blurry.... and the "shadow"-effect, for lack of correct technological terminology, looked far worse than with regular S-video. Any ideas why?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

DVD's contain 480 vertical rows (or scanlines) top to bottom, not 720. Theoretically, NTSC has the same resolution as DVD, but in practice it is usually analog (thus suceptible to the ravages of broadcasting analog), highly compressed digital or VCR-type analog which is far less than 480.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think this is pretty normal. Most broadcast, particularly regular local stations, don't look good on most HD sets. I know mine doesn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks