What's new

ST:TNG packaging (1 Viewer)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Hmm, it's been a while since I saw that ep, I must admit (probably 1989). I remember enjoying it for seeing a few of the crew getting casually mutilated by the villain of the week. At the time I didn't like Riker, nor Data. Maybe I was being overly generous with three stars, but wasn't The Child the previous week?
So, Dave, I now throw down the gauntlet to list your "best of" episodes. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Obviously, any episode that contributes to Wesley's "saving the ship" quotient must be excluded from any "Best of" list.
I admit that that's usually the case (and the main problem with season one). However, surely The Game is the obvious exception...?

Richard Ruffner

Stunt Coordinator
Also, remember that season 2 was shorter than all the other seasons due to a writer strike, and that's also the reason for the clip episode (Shades of Grey).

"Where Silence Has Lease" is memorable if only for the music that Picard listens to in his quarters, Trois Gymnopedies composed by Erik Satie

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait for this set. I'm very happy they went with the packaging that was rumored. I do wish they had stuck with the gradient coloring for the stripes though. I would buy this even if TNG weren't one of my favorite series.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jason Seaver provided a good assessment of those first two seasons. As for the pinnacle seasons, I'd put that at fourth, fifth, and sixth years. The third season was terrific, too. But the seventh and final season was every bit the mixed bag that the first two were.

This set looks damn awesome. That packaging is dignified, befitting one of the finest television series ever made. It's a must-have. *respiration rate increases*

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Good, grief! I can't believe the nagging ;).
I remember clearly to this date the day ST:TNG rolled out. I had been on a ST induced high for WEEKS, and every calendar in the house was marked in bright red, as If I could let anyone forget THE EVENT.
My parents, never big Trek fans (my dad probably regrets getting me my first model, a K7 Deep Space Station with Enterprise) wanted to watch something else. I carefully drilled holes and routed RG6 from a splitter in the basement up to the spare bedroom, hooked up an old 13 or 15" TV (actually a NTSC RGB monitor from my Apple II) to my cool RCA VCR (4 head!) and waited.
Encounter at Farpoint truly rocked! The exception being the glowing jellyfish ending. Seen though the lens of the later, and better seasons (and DS9), season one wasn't great.
Now I am all giddy about it all over again. Thanks to Paramount, Martin Blythe, et al for listening to us Trekker/ies once again. We can be fickle, loud, exasperating, detail minded, obsessive, and extremely loyal. A lot of us appreciate the hard work involved, and I for one will be giddily waiting for my copy.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
My Top TNG Eps:

Well Certainly:

Best of Both Worlds (Especially Part 1)

Darmok

Inner Light

Family

Chains of Command I&II

Q Who?

The Wounded

The Defector

THere's that episode where the Looney Admiral goes after Picard on a witch hunt forget the name of that one. But there's a few of the one's I Like

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Also, remember that season 2 was shorter than all the other seasons due to a writer strike...
Now if only the first season episode "Too Short a Season" had been tacked onto the end of season two, it would have been the perfect capper. But it wasn't. Pity, that.

Britton

Screenwriter
Season 7 wasn't that bad. It had classic stuff like the Troi cake and the "New Vertiform City" episode on the train. And who could forget the Troi/Worf romance? Heehee...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I've never understood, why does everyone here seem to have a problem with Season 7?
My problem is that seemed to be year that everyone on the show went psycho. Data becomes a Sadist, Data stabs Troi, Worf starts meandering through different realities, Beverly goes gaga for a ghost, Lwaxana goes nuts, Data goes nuts yet again in Masks, Troi goes suicidal then turns into Fish Woman, and then the Computer goes nuts... a very uneven year. Some really good episodes like Preemptive Strike, Lower Decks, Inheritance and The Pegasus were paired with some really mediocre eps like Liaisons, Force of Nature, and Bloodlines. I think part of the reason for so much of the uneveness was the fact that they were preparing for Generations simultaneously.

And let's not forget the cat-spit-up-on-my-head hairdo for Counselor Troi that started in Season Six. Apparently she liked the trampy hairdo she adopted during her emotional toxic waste dumping, that she kept it. I miss the black ringlets.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
Aren't we all forgetting The Godfather Collection? This is Paramount, you know. Since the Godfather was 5 discs and clocked in at around $100 MSRP, let's assume $20 per disc MSRP. Therefore, the STTNG sets will be $140 each MSRP. Ouch. I do think they'll be lower than that, but no lower than $100.

-Tom

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I'd forgotten that The Inner Light wasn't until season 5. Damn... at 2-3 sets per year, I'll have to wait 2-3 years before I can get my hands on the very best episode in the entire series.
Mark

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Damn... at 2-3 sets per year, I'll have to wait 2-3 years before I can get my hands on the very best episode in the entire series.
Has that been confirmed? The leaked release schedule had these coming out every other month, I believe. If that's accurate, you won't have much of a wait at all.

Blu

Screenwriter
I wouldn't mind a accelerated release at all. 1 season every other month or even every 2 months would be fine. That is much better than 1 season every 6 months ala Fox (although I'm not complaining at all cause I love the X-Files) I just want a faster rate of release. And MORE TV ON DVD!!!!!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Geez whatch got against "The Drumhead" I though it was a pretty decent ep. Strong Picard Ep.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks