What's new

ST:TNG packaging (1 Viewer)

Martin Blythe

Second Unit
The PAL DEFT conversions are from the earliest NTSC source material - they have not been through several generations (no pun intended) like the VHS. I am sure they will look great. Plus the 5.1 sounds terrific.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Yeah, but wasn't the series made on film? PAL can never be superior if its taken from an NTSC master as it can never get the resolution, therefore there's no reason to buy the PAL version apart from the hope of smoothness, and even that seems unlikely if it's coming from and NTSC version.:frowning:

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
When making a PAL master via DEFT from NTSC you are correct when you say that it wont be "superior" to NTSC as no standards conversion ever can.

That said, from a picture pov DEFT is as good as you'll get as it removes the pull down.

You do get the speed up which I must admit I did notice when the season 3 tapes of TNG were originally released over 10 years ago.

But when you compare the picture quality of seasons 1+2 to season 3 onwards, the difference is dramatic.

I'll probably stick with R1 for TNG but wouldnt deter R2 users from getting the new DVDs as they should look great - certainly better than the show has ever looked in PAL before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks