What's new

ST:TNG packaging (1 Viewer)

Brian E

Screenwriter
Geez, I really have no desire to buy Season 1 or 2, but dammit if this isn't making it hard as hell to hold out on getting this the minute it's available!!!!
I know what you mean. This packaging along with me being a completest by nature means all 7 seasons for me. That'll be expensive. Hopefully when they do the announcement on Friday we'll hear price and it'll be reasonable.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I hold Martin Blythe completely responsible for this fiasco. I'm sure that he been reporting back to Paramount on a regular basis about what they needed to do to take advantage of our weak constitutions and bilk us out of our hard-earned credit card limits (who's got any cash?)!! Curses!! Just because we insisted on getting the best possible product they could produce with this franchise, that doesn't mean he should have gone out and actually tried to exceed our expectations. Aaargghh...
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I can't see this going for less than $70 a set.
However, at a MSRP of $70 per season I would
jump on it -- and I have never really watched
Next Generation (Though I own all of the
original Star Trek TV DVDs).
See, that's what it takes to lure people
to these sets. Price! I realize the costs
for 7-disc packages like this, but unrealistically
high pricing will hurt the chances of sale to
those like me that aren't hardcore fans but would
be lured by attractive packaging and pricepoint.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I wouldn't be surprised if MSRP was $89.99.
Remember that UK R2 consumers usually get screwed by DVD prices.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I only have one thing to say....Is it March yet??

Thanks, Martin and Paramount!!

ps-I am hoping for the following announcement on Friday:

"Due to popular demand. Trek:TNG will be coming out on Jan.28 instead of March." (I can hope)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Remember that Fox's "X-Files" sets list for $150. The TNG set has the same number of discs and pretty much the same amount of programming. If Paramount prices these sets anywhere south of the "X-Files" sets that will be a Good Thing. If the list comes in around $100 that will be a Very Good Thing.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys,

How good is the FIRST season?

What seasons are considered the PRIME ones?

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I predict they will have a US list price of $99.99 per set. That will be $80 after the usual discounts. That means $560 for all 7 seasons.
Don't tell my wife! :)
Mark

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
(Probably only beating Jack Briggs because of the time difference...)

The first season is kind of a mixed bag; it's very talky, and came before Rick Berman was brought on board to roll back Roddenberry's over-earnestness and pretension. It pretty clearly still needs refining. That said, there is a kind of wonder and majesty to the first two years - a real sense of exploration and occasional alien-ness - that got lost in later seasons as the setting became overly familiar and inward-looking.

As to the show's prime, I'd put it at seasons three and four, when the writers and producers started using the characters less as placeholders but before they got into a severe rut (and before some of the more talented ones moved over to DS9).

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I actually like the purple. It's festive and different.

Now if only this weren't season one, it would be a perfect set.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Ron

Seasons 3, 4 and 6 are the best (5 went off the boil somewhat although contains enough good stuff to warrant a purchase).

Season one is pretty unbearable at times, as Gene Rodenberry seemed to think that Wesley was the most important character... Still there are a few standouts such as 10011001, Datalore, Conspiracy and Heart of Glory. Just a shame that there's also Justice, Home Soil, Skin of Evil and of course Encounter At Farpoint.

Season two generally improves (although there is the gruesome Manhunt, Outrageous Okana, Loud As A Whisper, Up The Long Ladder, and The Icarus Factor to endure). Theres also the dreaded clips episode - Shades of Gray.

But we do have the supremely impressive Borg debut - Q Who, plus the brilliant Peak Performance, The Emissary and A Matter of Honor. The Measure of A Man and Elementary Dear Data are also pretty good, although the first of these takes itself way to seriously.

The leap in quality though from season three onwards is astonishing, just wait for episodes such as "The Defector", "Yesterdays Enterprise", and "The Best of Both Worlds"

As you can gather - I'll be getting the sets. ALthough I'll be getting the R1 versions, it will be interesting to see the R2s and whether they have reconverted the video from NTSC to PAL as the system used for these 2 seasons was pretty horrid.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I wonder how they will handle two-part season cliff-hangers(ie-Best of Both Worlds)?

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I've recently picked up LD’s of select episodes from seasons 1 and 2. (Only 5 in total, including the pilot, "Conspiracy" and the Borg debut.) In my opinion, the second season was actually worse than season one… if not for "Shades of Grey" alone.

I’ll probably be picking up the season sets from #3-up. But damn, I hope there will be some deals out there.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I wonder how they will handle two-part season cliff-hangers(ie-Best of Both Worlds)?
Hopefully the same way the "X-Files" cliffhangers are handled - you get the 1st part in one season box, and the next part in the next season box. There's no reason for these to be packaged together - indeed, splitting them preserves the way they were originally shown and provides a little bit of the anticipation factor, as you have to wait for the next box just like we had to wait all summer for the conclusion during the original broadcasts.

I mostly agree with Duncan on the best seasons, although I would point out that Season 5 included "The Inner Light", one of the best Trek episodes ever. I also wish to highlight another significant Season 1 episode, "The Neutral Zone" (the season finale). This one not only introduced the Romulans to the new series, it was also our first look at the Borg's handiwork (although they weren't shown or named until "Q Who").

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
PhilipG's Top Episodes for TNG
Here they are... I have underlined the best ep of each season.
season one
DataLore ***
Conspiracy ****
The Neutral Zone ****
season two
Where Silence Has Lease ***
A Matter of Honor ***.5
Q Who ****
Samaritan Snare ***
Peak Performance ****
season three
Booby Trap ***
The Enemy ****
The Defector ****
Deja Q ****
Yesterday's Enterprise ****
Sins of the Father ***.5
Captain's Holiday ***.5
Hollow Pursuits ***.5
The Most Toys ***
The Best of Both Worlds, 1 ****
season four
The Best of Both Worlds, 2 ***
Family ****
Reunion ****
Future Imperfect ****
The Wounded ***
Devil's Due ***
The Nth Degree ***.5
QPid ***.5
The Drumhead ***.5
The Mind's Eye ****
Redemption, 1 ****
season five
Redemption, 2 ***.5
Darmok ****
Ensign Ro ***
Disaster ***
The Game ***
Unification, 1 ***
Conundrum ****
The First Duty ***.5
I,Borg ***
The Inner Light ****
season six
Schisms ***
A Fistful of Datas ***
Chain of Command, 1 ****
Chain of Command, 2 ****
Ship in a Bottle, ***.5
Face of the Enemy ***.5
Tapestry ****
Starship Mine ***
The Chase ***
Rightful Heir ***
Descent, 1 ***
season seven
Gambit, 1 ***
Gambit, 2 ***
Parallels ***.5
The Pegasus ****
Lower Decks ***
Preemptive Strike ****
Tapestry is my favourite, followed by The Inner Light & Reunion. Chain of Command is a fantastic 2-parter with terrific acting from Patrick Stewart and David Warner (and Ronny Cox is in it too!).
P.S. Avoid the season 4 ep Night Terrors at all costs!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
How can anyone put one of the singlemost horrible episodes on the best of list. "Where Silence Has Lease" ???? It had the worst story, all the characters were out of charcter so to speak. I love How they all sit around at the end and wait for the ship to blow up. Worf was Psychotic and almost killed Riker on the holodeck. The alien Villian was stupid. Pulaski berates Data on the bridge while the crew all smirk. Yuck.

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
Obviously, any episode that contributes to Wesley's "saving the ship" quotient must be excluded from any "Best of" list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks