What's new

ST:TNG packaging (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey as an aside I can't wait for the release. I tried to watch TNG tonight onTNN, that black bar was bigger than last time, must've been 2 inches off the bottom of the screen. Yuch.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
As you can see on StarTrek.com the full announcement is coming shortly.

Those images are of the Region 2 packaging. Just saying that so there won't be too many shocked people after the Region 1 announcement.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
THere's that episode where the Looney Admiral goes after Picard on a witch hunt forget the name of that one. But there's a few of the one's I Like
Wasn't that episode kind of a prequel to the episode about the invading "parasite crawling things" that ended in the exploding head? Sorry, don't remember the episode name, but it's the only one with that level of violence. I always considered that kind of a two-parter even though it wasn't explicitly stated as such.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Drumhead came much later. I think it was season 4. I think the episode you're referring to involved a group of inspectors aboard the Enterprise, including that creepy guy who rubbed everyone the wrong way.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I tried to watch TNG tonight onTNN, that black bar was bigger than last time, must've been 2 inches off the bottom of the screen. Yuch.

I was watching last night, they had on the episode "The High Ground" about the terrorists who kidnap Dr. Crusher and try to blow up the Enterprise. The black bar goes without saying, but the part that really got me going is when they sped up the onscreen action so they could fit in one more commercial. The scene in question is when Dr. Crusher is examining the terrorists who are suffering from having their DNA scrambled by a new transporter, she starts walking really fast, then slowing down to check on a patient and speeding up to the next one... while in the background the suffering are writhing in their beds like they have epilepsy. Geez!

As for 'The Drumhead': It's one of the great Picard episodes as already mentioned... Adm. Satie's comments really lay a guilt trip on him about Wolf 359. She also mentions several events in the short history of the Enterprise-D up to Season 4, including the parasites from the first season episode "Conspiracy," which is where Cmdr. Riker and Capt. Picard blow off Commander Remmick's head, which reveals the mother parasite creature that then gets blown away.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The Drumhead was a very strong character ep, IMHO. Any story which relies on Patrick Stewart to really act is almost guaranteed to be a corker. :emoji_thumbsup:
Can I buy this without being considered a Trekkie? :D
Trekkies are sad people who think Star Trek is real. Call yourself a "Trekker" - they're people who don't think the show is real, just appreciate the eps, and aren't quite so sad as the Trekkies. ;)
I once had a brief conversation with a Trekkie. It went something like this.
Him: "Don't you think Captain Picard is like, the greatest?"
Me: "Well, I think Patrick Stewart's a great actor..."
Him: "Who's Patrick Stewart...?"
(At this point I made my excuses and left)

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
You know I really have nothing to add that wasn’t already said. If the packaging is real (I believe and hope so) that’s awesome. I really can’t stand cardboard for two reasons. 1) They do not fit on shelves the same as keepcases 2) they fall apart and are more susceptible to damage just by repeated opening.

Fold outs suck because if you want to get one particular disc you have to unfold them all. However, since my Star Trek (TOS) discs are on a separate shelf and the packaging for this set has such a great looking outer cover all my points are moot. On this set I can’t wait to see the artwork on the fold out.

As for which season is the best…call me a Trekkie or Trekker, every season has some weak episodes but I can’t wait to own every episode of every season. Can you imagine 21 of those cases on your shelf? These of course would be for TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Freaking AWESOME!

Blu

Screenwriter
I think my favorite episode was "Lower Decks". I can't tell ya what season it was in but I loved it. I had many many favorites in this series and very much look forward to when I can purchase this! Now is it too soon to want DS9 too!!!!!!

Blu

Screenwriter
Oh and the episode where a probe installs its memories into Picard of a lost race of people! Picard finds out what it would have been like to have had a family and friends in a village setting. Loved that one too!!!!

Ok so I'm anxious to get this set fast......LOL!

Frank Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Hell no Blu

Bring em on Paramount. I want them all. Now let me go to the bank to see if my loan has been approved.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Call yourself a "Trekker" - they're people who don't think the show is real, just appreciate the eps, and aren't quite so sad as the Trekkies.
And then there's the really sad cases, who actually care about whether they're called "Trekkies" or "Trekkers".
:)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Err, hello? The single best episode of Star Trek TNG missed off: ...All Good Things. It's a classic. I own the movie unedited version. Mmmm.
Second to that I would put Best of Both Worlds and then the improbable Time's Arrow, simply for the performances.
The X-Files box sets retail for £80 hear. We (in the UK) are assuming we will be screwed and the £90 cost won't translate over to there. However, considering the cost of the X-Files boxes I would say you may be looking at $150-160.
I would still like to see them bring out individual stuff like we've had for years here in the UK - Data sets, unedited double-parter eps, and the like. I just don't really see myself enjoying whole seasons of the series.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Err, hello? The single best episode of Star Trek TNG missed off: ...All Good Things. It's a classic.
Ouch! Possibly the second most disappointing, poor finale to a great series I've ever seen (with the Voyager finale being the worst). But whaddo I know - I like Where Silence Has Lease... ;)
edit: Furthermore, by getting only the 2-parters and "key" character eps, you miss out on some really classy episodes (for example the series penultimate ep: Preemptive Strike)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hopefully All Good Things will be the 2 Hr Version. When it was split to two shows for syndication they cut some of the show, missing was a bit where Q Shows up as an old man with a horn to hear.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That's the most impressive looking (and expensive) packaging I have ever seen in a DVD set. Will the whole set come out at once? And is there no option to purchase individual disks?

TheoGB

Screenwriter
What's poor about it? Plot holes a go-go but then it's Star Trek. It has no pathetic moralising (okay, there's Worf/Riker but that can pass). It has some really funny moments and it has an almost G'Kar like performance from Katsulas (okay, I'm a B5 fan anyhow). The use of the three time zones is really a good style - you get a nice sense of the characters in three different eras and how they've evolved. It also has a nice wrap up, plus some great Q + Picard scenes.

Not having seen Voyager's finale I can't really compare but it seemed a good wrap up to such a show for me.

I agree there are some standout single eps. I just think that ST:TNG, like the X-Files doesn't lend itself as readily to just having complete season sets. I imagine the DS9 will far moreso.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks