What's new

SSSSHHHHHHH!!!!...Who has a secret passage? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
When I was remodeling (more like rebuilding) our house I came across an area which I realized would make a great hiding place (Sorry now I have to kill you:D ) The few people I have shown were blown away by the hidden room. I hope it will never be needed but who would have ever guessed the events in the last few years. Anyone else admit to such strange paranonia?

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
One of my houses growing up had a secret passage through some cabinets into the attic. Many older houses have voids that would make perfect hideaways, or even stairways/passages.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
My parent's house has a couple "hidden" spaces. It used to be an old duplex and was converted to a single family home before I was born.

Anyway, my room was upstairs in what used to be a small dining room. There were a bunch of built-in drawers and cabinets on one wall that I used as dresser/closet space. Well, the back of one cabinet had a removable panel that led to a pretty good sized crawl space. My friends thought it was the coolest thing... I would usually find a few of them in there whenever I had one of my "parents are out of town" beer bash parties.

Also, they have a bed & breakfast tour once a year up in Sturgeon Bay, WI. One of the B&B's has an entire suite hidden behind a bookcase. My wife & I thought this was so cool, we almost did the same thing in our house. We wanted a swinging bookcase that would lead to a spiral staircase into a rec-room. But, then we realized it might just be better to sell the place. :)

If you're ever in Milwaukee, Grant, be sure to check out the Safe House. It's a bar/restaraunt based on spy stuff (James Bond, Get Smart) there are tons of secret things in there... it's fun to just walk around and explore the place.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
If you're ever in Milwaukee, Grant, be sure to check out the Safe House.
Dave
My wife swears I can sniff out alcohol or a bar. I actually saw the back door without knowing what it was and figured out how to get in. I saw it on the History Channel just a few weeks ago and couldn't figure out why I knew it was a Bar. Must be my dad's CIA genes.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Although my current apartment has no hidden passages or secret rooms, It does have a drop-ceiling that can be removed tile at a time to hide some swag. Also an old KGB trick for drop-tile ceilings and sheetrock walls:

Must have:

*easily removed tile ceiling

*sheetrocked walls with wood or metal framework behind them (No insulation!).

How to hide stuff:

*Place item you want to hide inside small plastic bag. Tie bug shut securly with string. Tie a small magnet (available at most children's themed science stores) to the string.

*remove a ceiling tile and drop the bad of swag between the support frame of the sheetrock walls.

How to retrieve stuff:

*Tie a second magnet to a piece of string (string should be at least 12' for good measure).

*Remove ceiling tile and insert magnet into the crevice with your hidden swag. Magnet on the string will conect itself to the magnet on your stash, and you can easily pull the string and your stuff will pop-out of the wall and land in your treacherous grubby hands.. muha ha ha ha ha ha

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've often wondered if the old mansions in the Southern US had them, and that with a building that size, they could run a hidden passageway down the entire length of the building.

I did see a 'Law & Order' episode where they hid a stash inside a phony light switch. They just pulled the string and up it came! Busted!

Glenn

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Years ago (so many of my stories start that way now) I rented a place in Goshen, Indiana. One day I was vacuuming the hallway and closed my bedroom door for the first time. Behind that door was another door that I had never seen. Opening it I found stairs up to an unknown (to me) attic. Very cool to find you have rented two floors and didn't know it!
My current home is quite old in Texas years and has all sorts of odd crawl spaces. If I was still small I'd probably fix them up a bit and hang out there.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
When I was little, and living back in Kamloops, sometimes when I needed to be babysat, I would be spending the day/night at the neighbors' house. They were in their 60's at the time, and I was less than 10. Anyways, in their master bedroom they had this huge wall mirror that swung out (hinges on the left) to reveal a door behind it. Behind the door was their DEN!! It was hardly used and had all kinds of paper and stuff stored there, and a tiny window out the side of the house.

That whole room creeped us out every time.

What do you think the purpose of such hidden hallways and such were??

I couldn't fathom a house built today that had anything hidden like that. save crawl space attics, etc..

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
WHen I get filthy rich I want a panic room,mabey not a real panic room,that would be a cool home theater hide away though,nobody but me knows its there

Guess I better learn how to play Hoosier Lottery

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
To me the real problem with a Panic room is that it's not hidden.
What do you think the purpose of such hidden hallways and such were??
Cause they are pretty cool and I think most people wopuld like a place to hide if the shit ever hit the fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks