Spoilers in menu animation are driving me nuts!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard Hardbattle, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Richard Hardbattle

Richard Hardbattle Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Sorry folks, pet hate time.
    Just bought the Region 2 DVD of The Devils Backbone. Never seen it before. Really
    looking forward to it.
    The menu appears, fairly plain, not too bad - then I selected “Play Film” and the menu shows brief animation showing you the biggest scare jump before the movie even starts - spoiling a key moment towards the end of the movie!
    This isn’t the only time either, who remembers The Wicker Man - the menus (and the
    box) tell you far too much.
    Anybody else encountered this kind of spoiler before?
    Rich

2. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Well, the Wicker Man's title is pretty much a spoiler in and of itself. Even if you aren't savvy on pagan rituals, there is a terribly revealing sequence in the movie prior to the climax that I think just sucks a lot of the shock out of it. Really odd production decisions on this movie. If I'm not mistaken, the original poster art even has an image of the wicker man, so even if you didn't know about pagan rituals, just going to the theater would have been a spoiler.

But yeah man, I'm with you on the lousy menus.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Yeah, a bunch of us hate it. We just got through discussing it about a week or so ago, here.

4. Robert Floto

Robert Floto Supporting Actor

The original Planet of the Apes.