What's new

Splitting household chores with your SO. (1 Viewer)

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
I do the yard work and anything that needs to be done with our vehicles. My wife does the housework, though I do occasionally vacuum and dust.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a similar "arrangement" as Greg Rowe above, I do dishes, vacuum, clean the kitchen and take care of pet-related cleaning, while my wife cooks, does the laundry, pays the bills, cleans and dusst.
No wonder MickeS has time to make 3883 posts, He doesn't have a job that ties him down daily because it seems his wife must make all the money since she can pay all the bills! :D
Seriously, I'm just ribbin-ya MikeS
Anyway, My SO and I's chore chart:
Food: pretty even. I cook some stuff, she cooks the other stuff.
Laundry: We each do our own. She's allergic to my laundry detergent and her hypo-allergenic (whatever) specialty detergent isn't working well enough for my clothes.
Dishes: We have a dish-washer
Vaccuming: She does this
Vehicle Maintenence: I do this, cleaning, oil changes, repairs... I rule the garage!
HT control: Also me, I once caught her leaving a DVD outside of its case and resting shiny-side down on top of the tv.:angry:

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
Have you ever thought of getting a cleaning person to come clean once a week. With both working having someone come say every Friday so that you start the week-end with a clean house. I have always found that for about the same money I would make per hour I could pay someone else to come and do all the big cleaning once per week leaving more time to do things with my partner that we both like to do.
kd

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
If at all possible, have her go part-time or quit for a while.
Or he could go part-time or quit for a while. :D
Ah, I have nothing to add to this thread. My husband and I both are packrats to the max (me with books, magazines, newspapers, him with electronic, video and audio equipment, not to mention thousands and thousands of videotapes, DVDs, CDs, cassettes and LPs), and, casual, shall we say, about the house. Our place would be enough to make Martha Stewart have 3 heart attacks at once. 4 cats don't earn their keep by helping, either. We keep the kitchen and bathroom fairly decent, and do the laundry together. We whirlwind clean when someone is coming over, but otherwise, we'd both much rather be watching/going to movies, reading, computering, making love, anything else, than worrying about a few dustballs and made beds.
Then again, I was born without the girly gene necessary for tasteful decorating. Kate Bush and movie posters are good enough for me. That's why I don't mind all the holes drilled, wires protruding and the big old heavy Sony 1252 projector hanging from our living room ceiling, or the permanent thick black heavy plastic over all the living room windows (hidden behind the curtains though). Our living room is for entertaining, and for us, "entertaining" ONLY means watching movies on the big screen. I laugh at people who try to hide their HT equipment in embarrassment (lots of wives/girlfriends have their priorities completely screwed up in regards to what's more important/likely, someone from Architectural Digest dropping by unexpectedly, or watching movies alone or with friends).

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Even if only one person worked outside the house, help is always appreciated.(Misery loves company?) If you don't like doing a little housework , imagine how it sucks to do all of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.