What's new

Spike Milligan has died (1 Viewer)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
BBC News
Well, there's not a lot else to say. I am particularly fond of his wartime memoirs as well as the Goon Show stuff obviously. :frowning:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Sad news, Spike was 83, a comic genius, appeared in Life of Brian, History of the World P.1, Three Musketeers, many others.
RIP Spike, Last of the Goons.:frowning:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
He'd been rather ill for some time, I understand, so, at the risk of a cliche, it was probably a merciful release.

It's hard to appreciate just how influential Spike Milligan was. Even if you didn't like his humour or his work with The Goons, it's safe to say that without him we wouldn't have had Monty Python or any of the strand of humour which followed in quite the manner we know it today. Look at Spike's television shows in the 1960s and compare them with Monty Python, and you can see exactly where Python got a lot of their inspiration from.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Sad news. He was a comic genius for sure,m and as already mentioned by others in this thread a huge influence on Monty Python.

According to my Dad, Spike once sent a telegram to his wife (who was in the same house) telling he to make him a sandwich!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks