What's new

Spider Man? Can someone please tell me why they aren't doing season sets?? (1 Viewer)

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
What exactly is Buena Vista doing by not releaseing full season sets of the '94-'98 Spider Man series? I just saw that they are releasing the whole season set of The Fantastic Four. Some may hate me for saying this, but I think everyone agrees that Spider Man is much more mainstream than the FF. I know that people have attempted to petition Buena Vista for season sets of the '94-98 series as well as the '81-82 Amazing Friends series.
With the amount focus that the Spider Man francise has recieved since the popular movies have been released, just exactly what's with the hold up Buena Vista??

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I have no idea and I fear poor sales on this F4 set may hurt the chances of the others coming.

Joshua Lane

Second Unit
Alright, let's see if I can explain this one...

1) When the first Spider-Man movie came out, BV released a couple of single-disc releases because that's what they've always done.

2) When the second Spider-Man movie came out, BV released another single-disc release, but also released the '67 collection.

What changed to make them do this? Well, you can probably thank Warner Brothers for that. You see, they had been having a good deal of success with their animated box sets (Hanna Barbera/Looney Tunes), so BV following suit was easy. Disney's success with their "Treaures" line probably had an impact as well. It also helps to explain why BV released the older Spider-Man series, because all of those afformentioned releases were of older series too.

Now, with the Fantastic Four movie coming out, BV has decided to put out the Fantastic Four set. Why did they choose the new series to release? Well, it might be the only one they own... I'm not really sure if they own the older series too. It might also be due to BV's success with releasing Gargoyles onto DVD. That release showed them that they can release a "newer" animated series in season sets and still do well in sales.

What does this mean for Spider-Man (90's series) in season sets? Well, lots of things. First, BV has sales data that reinforces the idea that these animated series can do well when released in season sets. However, I wouldn't expect anything until another live-action film hits theatres. That marketing tie-in is too good to pass up. So, when Spider-Man III hits theatres, I'd expect a Spider-Man (90's animated series) season 1 release. Same goes for the next X-Men sequel too. The thing is, you're probably going to have to be a little patient if these live-action films take a while to reach theatres.

Rob T

Screenwriter
They also own Silver Surfer: TAS and The Tick.
I would love to have both of these, X-men: TAS and Spider-man: TAS.
I'll be getting the FF set too. :)

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I don't think the Spider-Man series holds up very well. I used to love it as a teenager, and I used to really want it to come out on DVD just like others here. However, I saw it recently and was surprised by how corny I found it, unlike "Batman: The Animated Series", which I only appreciate more as the years go by. I think the 90's Spider-Man series was much more of a children's show than some of the DC cartoons. It has way too much cheesy voiceover narration and one-liners from Spider-Man, and some really lame looking violence since the show's creators were forced by censors to arm characters with laser guns, and have them fight with throwing and shoving instead of kicking and punching.

Jon F.

Stunt Coordinator
I think Joshua has it right. Buena Vista is simply SLOW. Even when TV shows on DVDs had first been declared to be a success and all the other companies were putting out boxed sets, it took Buena Vista a while before they started doing it.

Now they do seem to want to wait until there is a movie "tie-in" to release their Marvel cartoons. And that makes perfect business sense. The SPIDER-MAN '67 COLLECTION was their first attempt at a cartoon boxed set (I believe). Now that they have opened the door for boxed sets, I'm expecting them to continue.

I'm certain that Buena Vista owns the rights to the 1978 FANTASIC FOUR cartoon (with H.E.R.B.I.E.). I'm sure they chose to release the 90's series simply because it is more modern and includes the Human Torch, since he will be in the film.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
BV definitely does NOT own the 60's FF series. Hanna Barbera prioduced it so WB owns it. Rights issues will keep it off dvd much like the Adam West Batman series.

I'll buy the FF set and ignore that horrible 1st season.

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor
I want Spider Man in Season Sets so badly. It was such a great show. I'm hoping it comes soon, and you know what Disney woulden't even have to nessarily wait for Spidey 3 to release Season 1 they could release it now say and just make sure to have anoather seasson set ready for the next movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks