What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: The Father (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
816njxxKnPL._SX522_.jpg

NOMINATED FOR SIX ACADEMY AWARDS®1
WINNER OF ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE (ANTHONY HOPKINS)
AND WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
1795b8b5-4c4e-48cc-9bea-0629d3bfcd51.png

ON DIGITAL MAY 4
ON BLU-RAY™ AND DVD MAY 18
SYNOPSIS
A man (Anthony Hopkins) refuses all assistance from his daughter (Olivia Colman) as he ages. As he tries to make sense of his changing circumstances, he begins to doubt his loved ones, his own mind and even the fabric of his reality.

BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL BONUS MATERIALS
  • Deleted Scenes
  • Homecoming: Making THE FATHER
  • Perception Check: Portrait of THE FATHER
CAST AND CREW
Directed By:
Florian Zeller
Screenplay By: Christopher Hampton and Florian Zeller
Based on the Play “The Father” By: Florian Zeller
Producers: Christophe Spadone, Simon Friend, David Parfitt, Jean-Louis Livi, Philippe Carcassonne
Executive Producers: Héloïse Spadone, Alessandro Mauceri, Lauren Dark, Ollie Madden, Daniel Battsek, Tim Haslam, Hugo Grumbar, Paul Grindey
Cast: Anthony Hopkins, Olivia Colman, Mark Gatiss, Imogen Poots, Rufus Sewell, Olivia Williams

SPECS
Run Time: Approx. 97 minutes
Rating: PG-13 for some strong language and thematic material
Blu-ray Feature: 1080p High Definition / 2.39:1 | Audio: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA
DVD Feature: 2.39:1 Anamorphic Widescreen | Audio: English 5.1 Dolby Digital

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This announcement was certainly conveniently timed in light of the film's double Oscar win last night.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If they'd only waited, it could have read Oscar winning instead of Oscar nominated.

I think getting it out sooner while the film is getting attention was more important to them than waiting. Plus, they can always change it for future copes. Because Moonlight was released a couple days after the Oscars, my copy just mentions it having won other awards. If you buy it now, I'm pretty sure the new copies say Best Picture.

The Shape of Water and Parasite original pressings don't mention their Best Picture wins but they do now. I'm actually glad I got those first because the text advertising the awards is ugly and obtrusive and I like the artwork better without it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The Shape of Water and Parasite original pressings don't mention their Best Picture wins but they do now. I'm actually glad I got those first because the text advertising the awards is ugly and obtrusive and I like the artwork better without it.
It still has that ugly and obtrusive "certified fresh" logo on the cover. Now, that annoys me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
It still has that ugly and obtrusive "certified fresh" logo on the cover. Now, that annoys me.

I understand why the studios like to do that for marketing purposes, but it probably helps more for rentals than purchases. I've never blind bought anything just because the Rotten Tomatoes score is really high, but it might get my attention for a rental. I agree that it is not effective for making the cover art attractive. But very few studios, except speciality labels like Criterion, seem to care about making artwork that looks nice for collectors. They'd rather clutter the artwork with whatever they think will get people to buy it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I understand why the studios like to do that for marketing purposes, but it probably helps more for rentals than purchases. I've never blind bought anything just because the Rotten Tomatoes score is really high, but it might get my attention for a rental. I agree that it is not effective for making the cover art attractive. But very few studios, except speciality labels like Criterion, seem to care about making artwork that looks nice for collectors. They'd rather clutter the artwork with whatever they think will get people to buy it.
I wouldn't mind if the "certified fresh" logo were a sticker that you could peel off or like they do in Germany with their reversible jacket that eliminated the film's rating which is permanent on the original jacket.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I agree. But the studios don't want to put that much effort into it. The cardboard backing that come off of steelbooks after you take the shrinkwrap off them serve the same function, but I think they only do that much for steelbooks because those are a premium product.

I've seen the Rotten Tomatoes logo on Blu-rays before. This is the first time I've actually seen the Rotten Tomatoes logo accompanied by a text blurb that says the score is accurate as of a certain date. That's new and makes it worse. Incidentally, the movie's rating has now fallen to 98% versus the previous 100%, so I guess that's why they felt the need to include the disclaimer.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Maybe the rating has gone down as a backlash to Hopkins' win over fan-favorite Boseman.

Seriously? Respectfully, I don't think professional critics who are responsible for that score are going to grade movies based on an actor who was expected to win an award not getting it. We're talking about the critics score here, not the easier-to-manipulate audience score. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory.

The cover says it was 100% as of 3/1/2021. The first negative critics review of The Father that I can find listed on Rotten Tomatoes is dated April 9. The second negative one I can find is dated March 26. There may be a handful more. So when Sony prepared the cover art for this release, those reviews weren't there yet. They were added later once those critics saw the movie. Ratings always fluctuate a bit when more critics file their reviews. That's it.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Seriously? Respectfully, I don't think professional critics who are responsible for that score are going to grade movies based on an actor who was expected to win an award not getting it. We're talking about the critics score here, not the easier-to-manipulate audience score. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy theory.

The cover says it was 100% as of 3/1/2021. The first negative critics review of The Father that I can find listed on Rotten Tomatoes is dated April 9. The second negative one I can find is dated March 26. There may be a handful more. So when Sony prepared the cover art for this release, those reviews weren't there yet. They were added later once those critics saw the movie. Ratings always fluctuate a bit when more critics file their reviews. That's it.
Shows you how much I know and care about Rotten Tomatoes. Methought it was fan fanned. And who are the critics who rate? Are they bona fide? I repeat: I know and care not a whit about those Tomatoes.
Anyway, my comment was meant to be taken with dripping sarcasm.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
And who are the critics who rate? Are they bona fide? I repeat: I know and care not a whit about those Tomatoes.

Since you asked: All Rotten Tomatoes does is compile reviews from professional critics from various sources (newspaper, online, whatever) into one place. If you follow a professional critic who works reviewing films as their job, they probably submit their reviews to Rotten Tomatoes.

The critics score is assigned based on how many of those reviews are positive versus negative. The idea is for people to be able to see what the general consensus about a movie is and to access reviews in one spot without having to go all over the internet looking for them. Rotten Tomatoes itself does not have an agenda for or against a particular film, despite what some online chatter would have you believe.

The audience score which involves fan ratings is a different number. That one is susceptible to fans rigging it in the way that you suggested.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First post in thread updated with official press release

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks