What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Can anyone explain how The Social Network has "unrated" audio? Did Fincher add a few more "F" words and so the film is now classified as unrated? That doesn't make sense and the press release doesn't even address it.

ShellOilJunior

Second Unit
This makes more sense to me. I'd buy box 1 because I'm mostly interested in the older offerings. Box 2 offers more recent movies.

Box 1
Anatomy of a Murder
Dr. Strangelove
Lawrence of Arabia
Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Oliver
Taxi Driver

Box 2
A League of their Own
Gandhi
Jerry McGuire
Stripes
Sense and Sensibility
The Social Network

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Can anyone explain how The Social Network has "unrated" audio? Did Fincher add a few more "F" words and so the film is now classified as unrated? That doesn't make sense and the press release doesn't even address it.
The press release does not make it very clear, but I guess there are two audio "cuts" of the film, one that is PG-13 and another that is Unrated (presumably "R" but Fincher was contractually obligated to deliver a PG-13?). I'm guessing visually they are the same cut, with the theatrical PG-13 containing fewer F-bombs.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Stripes is the only title in this collection worth getting in my opinion, hopefully it will get a stand alone 40th Anniversary edition later on this year.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Despite the survey, it seems highly unlikely that those who voted for “Stripes” and “ The Social Network” would also be of the same viewership who are willing to commit to a bundle purchasing of “Oliver!”, “Anatomy of a Murder” or “Sense and Sensibility”, as well.

ONLY “Taxi Driver” seems to be the clear bridge between both groups and appeals.
Meanwhile, I’d buy for the other five and throw away the garbage unpleasant Taxi Driver

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Meanwhile, I’d buy for the other five and throw away the garbage unpleasant Taxi Driver
You talking’ to me?:rolleyes:

Well, it’s clearly now a set who’s audience is one that I can no longer second-guess.:cool:

Last edited:

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Cool news. I guess we could all argue the merits of these films. Personally, I think Stripes and The Social Network should've been released separately and more "classic" movies (either in terms of quality or vintage) been included in their place. Still, it's a must own set. I'd rank these movies thusly:

1. Taxi Driver
2. The Social Network
3. Sense and Sensibility
4. Oliver!
5. Anatomy of a Murder
6. Stripes

• Insightful
Reactions: PMF

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Anyone who pays attention to my posts knows that for 4K content, I am a digital-only purchaser. So I look forward to picking up all of these digitally (Sense and Sensibility I already have in 4K). I’m sure the digital bundle will be reasonably priced.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
nonetheless, I see 4 out of 6 desirable titles in this set that makes it worthy of my purchase and support.
Same here. Of the six films in the first set, four were ones I really wanted, and that made it worth it (it didn't hurt that one of the two I wasn't excited about -- A League of Their Own -- was one that my wife really likes). It broke down like this:

Really Really Wanted: Dr. Strangelove and Lawrence of Arabia
Wanted: Gandhi and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
Indifferent: A League of Their Own and Jerry Maguire

The breakdown here is largely the same:

Really Really Want: Taxi Driver and Sense and Sensibility
Want: Anatomy of a Murder and Oliver!
Indifferent: Stripes and The Social Network

I think it's reasonable to question whether some of these need 4K and HDR, but one never really knows until seeing the result.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD

Nice groups of films. Anatomy of a Murder and Stripes were not on the radar as far as I know. It is a nice surprise to see them included. Day one for me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yes, but are you also happy to see Stripes?:D
I am. It was not a slam dunk comedy for me, hence my indifference to it. I probably wouldn't buy it on its own (never did on any previous format), but when I pick up this set I'll definitely give it a watch. I still haven't gotten around to my two "indifferent" titles from the first set.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I have fully expected this excellent Columbia Classics series to have its odd-ball inclusions. The pattern is now clear that this shall be the 4K/UHD equivalent to the Kellogg’s Cereal Variety Pack; which will always have its Bran-Flake and Special-K amongst the Frosted Flakes and Sugar Pops.
That is a brilliant analogy. My family had so many tiny boxes of unwanted Bran Flakes sitting in our kitchen cabinets.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Stripes is the only title in this collection worth getting in my opinion, hopefully it will get a stand alone 40th Anniversary edition later on this year.
I had the exact opposite reaction. Stripes is, to me, the only one not worth owning. The other 5 I’m happy to get, particularly Anatomy of a Murder.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I had the exact opposite reaction. Stripes is, to me, the only one not worth owning. The other 5 I’m happy to get, particularly Anatomy of a Murder.

Stripes is the only one with worthwhile features the rest besides Sense and Sensibility lack severely in that area. Criterion gave Anatomy better features than Columbia themselves are doing this go around.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This set is an easy pass for me. I already have a 4K version of Taxi Driver in my iTunes library, am happy with the Criterion version of Anatomy of a Murder, and really have no need to own Stripes in 4K (maybe if I can pick it up on iTunes cheap). The others I don't care about.

I ended up getting the films from the first set I cared about on iTunes, too, so don't care about individual releases of those on UHD anymore, either.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Oliver! loses the music-and-effects track from the Blu-ray but gains a commentary. Hmmmm…

I am, I think it's a funny movie and I'm glad they're offering both the theatrical and extended cuts in 4K.

That's what impresses me. This needs to be standard operating procedure for all such situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks