What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: Columbia Classics Ultra 4K HD Collection Volume 2 (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
It's very expensive if you are not interested in all the films being offered, which I imagine a lot of people aren't.

If there were six solid films that I felt would really benefit from the 4k treatment to want to upgrade, then absolutely, worth it.

I do not give a s**t about box sets and wingdings. I might buy this Volume 2 set just to get OLIVER!, which has always looked crappy on video, and the bonus disc of shorts, and just sell off the five remaining titles to those who also don't wish to buy the whole kaboodle.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
"1776" is available in 4k digital...

...but here is where Sony screwed up with that...

They only offer the theatrical cut. The hugely anticipated extended cut they went out of their way to offer to fans as had been requested for years on end is non-existent in that format. Sony could have offered both on digital and they didn't.

I suspect that when Sony releases "1776" to disc they will offer both versions in that format knowing the popularity. And, if they had included it in this set, I would have bought the whole damn thing knowing how much of a mixed bag this offering is.

The one in my iTunes library is 165 minutes, the theatrical cut is 141 minutes.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Dear Sony/Columbia, There is ZERO chance that I will purchase this box set nor your previous one. ZERO.

When you come to your senses and start offering 4K versions as individual titles, let me know.

Mark
Yeah, I'd love to get Taxi Driver and The Social Network but there's no chance that I'm paying for the other 2/3 of a box set that I have no interest in owning.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The one in my iTunes library is 165 minutes, the theatrical cut is 141 minutes.

From what I understand (and I may get this wrong) it's the Director cut but not the extended cut. Offhand, I know it's missing the Lee's Reprise. I had a long talk with Ted Wilkinson about the digital release and what is missing from the longest cut available on the Blu-ray.

EDIT: Looked back on the conversation I had with Ted. There are only up to 3 minutes missing from the digital offering. It has the shorter version of "Piddle twiddle" and missing the Lees Reprise. Those are major absences although I do know we are only talking a few short minutes of footage.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
My ideal Volume Three:

Funny Girl
Man for All Seasons (A)
On the Waterfront
Passage to India (A)
River Runs Through It (A)

Bye Bye Birdie
From Here to Eternity
Legends of the Fall

Last edited:

Jeffrey D

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I wish Sony offered Panic Room instead of Social Network- Panic Room has not been released yet on BluRay, at least in this country. Very strange.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm a little disappointed in the titles, yet again. There are several movies more deserving of 4K than Stripes or Anatomy of a Murder. I'm not saying they are bad films - but do they really need 4K and HDR?
Whoa there Hoss, now you're getting nasty about a film many including myself consider one of the best movies from the late 1950's.:)

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yes, but are you also happy to see Stripes?:D
inspired war GIF
:D!

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ron, how are these sets 'very, very expensive' ? Anybody with access to this forum likely found the first box for $100 which is less than $20 per title. Expensive if you're only buying it to get one title, but otherwise a pretty good deal if you have very wide taste in films. I really only wanted 4 of the six titles in box # 1 but was more than happy to watch the other two in 4k Atmos since they were still terrific films.
Assuming the EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC is in 4K , I'm sure there are lots of Stooges fans who would be happy to pay the cost of the set to see The Three Stoges in 4K ;). (Not to mention the Mister Magoo cartoon
mr magoo GIF
:dancing-banana-04::banana::drum:...:rock:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Very surprised Oliver! is included as Sony leased it first blu ray release to Twilight Time and then put out their own MOD version. Not many blu rays could have been sold. I guess Streisand doesn't sell well as "Funny Girl" is still missing . I would have picked "Groundhog's Day" over "Stripes" as a Bill Murray movie to include but apparently its already been released in 4K. Not sure ether film needs it. The box set should have concentrated on large format roadshow pictures . I don't believe most of the films included in this set will benefit much from 4K Dolby Atmos presentations.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
:thumbs-up-smiley: I am, I think it's a funny movie and I'm glad they're offering both the theatrical and extended cuts in 4K.
I have fully expected this excellent Columbia Classics series to have its odd-ball inclusions. The pattern is now clear that this shall be the 4K/UHD equivalent to the Kellogg’s Cereal Variety Pack; which will always have its Bran-Flake and Special-K amongst the Frosted Flakes and Sugar Pops.

All fun aside, I can not begrudge the title(s) that bring a happiness to others.

For the record, I am thoroughly enjoying this series, thus far. There’s something here for nearly everyone.:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Assuming the EXCLUSIVE BONUS DISC is in 4K , I'm sure there are lots of Stooges fans who would be happy to pay the cost of the set to see The Three Stoges in 4K ;). (Not to mention the Mister Magoo cartoon
mr magoo GIF
:dancing-banana-04::banana::drum:...:rock:

I actually might be one of them, but the bonus disc is confirmed as HD and not 4K.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
While they really should release individual and as this box… I was exceedingly pleased with the previous volume, really only wanting four of the six titles, but for $105 shipped - I felt like I was getting those films plus two bonus ones. The book and the packaging is really nice on the previous set.

I’m also happy to see they’re again offering theatrical mixes on all six films in addition to the Atmos (and 5.1) mixes. There’s zero reason to not include original audio.

The disc of classic shorts is probably the tipping point for me since I’d pay $100 just to have “Umpa” in 1080p.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks