What's new

Press Release SPHE Press Release: 1776 (1972) (4k UHD) (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
No. The LD cut of 1776 will be widescreen in a SD format meaning letterboxed within a 4 x 3 window just like the LD ports of the original cuts of the SW trilogy aren't reformatted 16 x 9. The LD wasn't full screen originally.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
No. The LD cut of 1776 will be widescreen in a SD format meaning letterboxed within a 4 x 3 window just like the LD ports of the original cuts of the SW trilogy aren't reformatted 16 x 9. The LD wasn't full screen originally.

DVD quality then, black bars on the top and bottom.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yeah. I understand why that's the case so I'm not going to say boo about that.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Yeah. I understand why that's the case so I'm not going to say boo about that.

That shouldn't deter you from buy this if you want it. I am a bit surprised that Sony didn't think about getting Mr. Feeny for a new interview about the making of this film, as this is the last time they could have interviewed him as he is 94 right now, he'll be 95 at the end of next month.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
At least one benefit of the LD cut not touched on (which was also part of the original theatrical cut) is the lovely underscoring of the John-Abigail scene in the tower after the South walks out and John is at his low point. The removal of the underscore for both of the subsequent cuts marred the scene considerably for me as the music when John turns around and sees Abigail is a perfect moment in the scene.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
At least one benefit of the LD cut not touched on (which was also part of the original theatrical cut) is the lovely underscoring of the John-Abigail scene in the tower after the South walks out and John is at his low point. The removal of the underscore for both of the subsequent cuts marred the scene considerably for me as the music when John turns around and sees Abigail is a perfect moment in the scene.

I haven't seen this movie since it was shown in either middle or high school history, that was 20+/- years ago so I don't remember this film at all really; just a few vague bits and pieces.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
That shouldn't deter you from buy this if you want it. I am a bit surprised that Sony didn't think about getting Mr. Feeny for a new interview about the making of this film, as this is the last time they could have interviewed him as he is 94 right now, he'll be 95 at the end of next month.
We did get him for the Blu commentary a few years ago, you will hear pretty much all he remembers there

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I did mention that in my huge post. I have to say that having had 20 years to live with both options I agree with Peter now that the bell tower underscore is too saccharine and undercuts the power of the performances. I agree SOME music might have worked but something simpler and less flowery would have done the trick. But thankfully this kitchen sink release should please everyone.

The only commercially released edit that isn’t in this package is the 2002 DVD which has a couple differences but certainly not worth including.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
And you know what is very sad but true, Phil?

If Columbia had included 1776 in yet another Columbia Classics 4k Ultra HD Collection (Volume 3) that included Gigli, Deuce Bigalow, The Pink Panther 2, Animal, and Not Another Teen Movie --- I would have spent the $120+ for it on day one!
I know your tongue is planted firmly in cheek with the choice of films but its funny I came to post that this single film release seems to be a sign that Sony wont release a 3rd Volume of Columbia Classics as this film release would seem to be what would be included in a potential volume 3.

What would really be nice is if they included the other versions in the digital release of the film instead of just the Director's Cut as was done with the blu ray release.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I know your tongue is planted firmly in cheek with the choice of films but its funny I came to post that this single film release seems to be a sign that Sony wont release a 3rd Volume of Columbia Classics as this film release would seem to be what would be included in a potential volume 3.

What would really be nice is if they included the other versions in the digital release of the film instead of just the Director's Cut as was done with the blu ray release.

Hi Gary! Yes, absolutely tongue-in-cheek. I had to research the worst possible titles that Sony would ever consider for a 4k boxset treatment. Those seemed to jive pretty well.

And, you could be correct that this film would have been included in a 3rd Collection and perhaps Sony has abandoned doing any more of those sets. My personal take is that those collections were very, very expensive and a mish-mosh of titles were thrown together so essentially you could be buying the set and getting title(s) you don't like. I personally never liked those sets but many did.

As for the digital release of 1776: That was my concern from day one. Sony released the shorter Director's Cut on digital but never made the extended cut available. That was the reason why I reached out to Grover at Sony because I wanted to let him know that there was still an interest in the longest cut.

I have no idea if the digital 4k release that has been around for the past two years is going to stay the same or on release day they will add the additional cuts.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I assume that this is how the LD version will be presented as if they reformated the LD version to 16x9 it would most likely be a zoom and be quite blurry, similar to zooming a SD TV channel to full screen.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Bite your tongue. Volume 3 - at least one more, please - has now had the way paved for Funny Girl and/or A Man for All Seasons to lead the pack (or should I say box).

Indeed this exciting news for a 4K/UHD release of 1776 actually makes complete sense as being a stand-alone. This edition of 1776 is so generously packed and is practically a bite-sized box set on its own terms. Can’t wait and remain blown away by every conceivable consideration, care and detail that has been put forth by those who have cherished this work from stage to screen.

Bravo and hats off to all involved.

Last edited:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Just to be clear, is the LD version the only one that has the allegedly saccharine music between John & Abigail in the bell tower?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I did mention that in my huge post. I have to say that having had 20 years to live with both options I agree with Peter now that the bell tower underscore is too saccharine and undercuts the power of the performances. I agree SOME music might have worked but something simpler and less flowery would have done the trick. But thankfully this kitchen sink release should please everyone.

The only commercially released edit that isn’t in this package is the 2002 DVD which has a couple differences but certainly not worth including.
The same underscore is in the earlier John-Abigail conversation setting up "Yours, Yours, Yours". From a cinematic consistency point it worked perfect in the later scene for me and never more so than the moment where he turns around and sees her across the tower from him. A terrific cinematic moment of both editing and music editing that I've always found moving.

Reactions: PMF

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Just to be clear, is the LD version the only one that has the allegedly saccharine music between John & Abigail in the bell tower?
It is also in the theatrical cut and the original DVD release. So for over 40 years this was how the scene always played when watching the film. It was not a LD addition.

Reactions: PMF

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

They will more likely zoom in on the 4:3 frame to create a 16:9 image without the extraneous letterboxing. The quality loss will be negligable since the transfer is already low-res as it stands.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
It is also in the theatrical cut and the original DVD release. So for over 40 years this was how the scene always played when watching the film. It was not a LD addition.
No Jack, it was removed for the 2002 DVD, the original Director's Cut, along with the music under Ben being painted. The Ben music was restored for the Revised Directors cut on BD and 4K

To be clear the music created/added for the LD is the instrumental "roadshow" music elements of the Overture, Intermission and Entr'Acte.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks