What's new

Spend $10K on *this*? (1 Viewer)

kEVIN_hSU

Grip
One of my coworkers is asking me for speaker recommendations, with a budget of USD$10,000 for 5 channels (no sub). Now for me $10K would be my *entire* HT budget, so I'm not too familiar with the stuff in this price range. He currently has a Sunfire Signature series setup: Theater Grand III preamp, 400Wx7 amp, and True Subwoofer EQ. For video he has an Integra DVD player and a Runco 720p DLP with scaler. Now here's where it gets complicated. He wants to buy from this store called Evolution Audio, and they only carry these brands:

Acoustic Energy/Aego
Anthony Gallo Acoustics
Jean-Marie Reynaud
Merlin Music Systems
Monitor Audio
Revel
Sound Lab
Sunfire
TBI
Triad

Now for $10K should he be looking at these companies or somewhere else? I'm pretty sure I can get him to buy elsewhere if I can get some good recommendations. Any ideas in this price range would be appreciated.

Thanks! :)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Triad makes an excellent home theater system but their speakers are not designed to play below 80hz. They are primarily THX type speakers. They do sound rather good though. For music I didn't find them too appealing.

The Merlins are more music oriented and I wouldn't go HT with those at all.

The middle of the road there is the Monitor Audio Gold Series. Those are definitely worth considering. The Revels are pretty solid too.

He should also listen to:

Dynaudio
Dali
Vandersteen
Paradigm Signature
Aerial Acoustics

Just to name a few more.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
for $10k, there are TOO many variations. goto an audio store, get a salesman you trust, and ask him, he does this for a living :)

if they sell good stuff, and he knows what he is doing, you will get the best for your money, and you will save a LOAD of time.

kEVIN_hSU

Grip

LOL...rocks. They're stones. :D

Actually I was thinking of the Gallo Reference 3's for my own system. They seem to be getting good reviews, and plus, they look neat. I'll be sure to mention them even though they are "only" $2600/pair.

Here is the Tempest plan you were talking about: adireaudio.com/TextPages/TempestHornPageFrameText.htm
Frankly I was expecting something a bit higher end from them.

kEVIN_hSU

Grip
I agree with those choices. I'm especially partial toward Dynaudio myself, mostly from their car audio gear.

kEVIN_hSU

Grip

Too many variations is right! But I have a difficult time trusting salesmen. :D
Apparently he trusts this store since he's purchased a lot of equipment from them. But I'm sure if you ask them what to get, they'll surely say that the brands they carry are the best. I just don't think it's a good idea to limit yourself.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, I've learned that sometimes input can be a damning thing. This friend has 10K to spend on a HT system, and we know that based on our abilities and experiences we can probably build him a really good system. However, if this person takes your input and follows your advice, you may find yourself married to this guys system. In other words, if this system doesn't meet his expectations, then guess who's at fault. There's nothing wrong with giving advice, but I suggest a few stores including Best Buy or Circuit City and let him hear for himself. In fact point out this forum to him, let him register and do some reading and asking and he can become an educated audio video snob like us :D and give the salesman a run for his money.

Rutgar

Second Unit

Have you actually heard the Gallo Reference 3's? Seems everyone's talking about them, but nobody that has actually heard them. There are a couple of local Gallo dealers here, so I'm going to see if I can get a listen. They look interesting, especially because of their low price. At first glance, I thought they would be a $10,000+ speaker. Then I saw they were only $2600/pr.

kEVIN_hSU

Grip
Yeah, their relatively low (wow $2600 is now low priced LOL :D) price surprised me as well, as usually the funkier looking a speaker is, the more expensive it is. I haven't heard the Ref 3's yet, though I'm sure they won't disappoint. I have heard the original Nucleus (i.e. the eyeball wearing a fez) which was surprisingly good, and also the new Micros, which sound unexpectedly nice for their diminutive size. ;)

kEVIN_hSU

Grip
Just talked to the guy today and he says he's going to call Evolution Audio this weekend to see what they have to say. I am eagerly awaiting their comments.

Any more recommendations? :)

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Yea...tell your friend to check out the Onyx Rockett (550 or 750 for mains) and Ascend (340s) loudspeaker Web sites to see what they offer in the way of main, surround, and center channel systems...and one of the new black-clad SVS PB2-Ultra self-powered subwoofers (or for even less money...TWO of their newly designed 10" bass-driver based, self-powered subwoofers).

A 5.1 speaker system based on a combination of the above named speakers (far less than $10K!) will be a real sonic killer system...one quite capable of being more than suitable for both HT movies soundtracks and MUSIC playback, in addition to being more than a good match to what he already has in the way of HT equipment...

-THTS

"hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
It seems to me you shouldn't be worried so much, the guy seems to be pretty informed and he already has a good enough relationship built up with this store that he definately wants to give them repeat business. Finding a good dealership that you like and trust can be a very good thing in this hobby.

The brands that you listed are all excellent brands, and they cover a pretty broad spectrum of listening tastes. He should easily be able to find a great match amongst them. Sound Lab while out of his range makes some of the best speakers in the world, Merlin's are top notch, and the JM Reynaud's are a huge sleeper. The other brands you have probably already heard of, and they to make quality products, just my tastes run in line with the above three brands.

My only advice to your friend is to be demanding with the store. Pick their brains for recommendations and then make sure he gets a chance to listen to all the set-ups he narrows his choices down to, and maybe even a home demo of the finalists if needed.

My personal choice of the brands listed would be the JM Reynaud speakers for an HT/ Music system, but I wouldn't really want to match them up with what gear he already has. Probably either the Monitors, Revels, and AE's would be the best match for his current gear.

MikeN

Agent
I 2nd the Dynaudios... amazing sounding speakers, and he sounds like the kid of guy that needs them :)

kEVIN_hSU

Grip
Funny you should mention Onix, as I am considering the Rockets myself (though I am tempted by their new Strata line :wink: ). Unfortunately, this friend is an older gent and refuses to buy his gear online. He will only buy from B&M stores because he thinks it's better for service.

Chris_Liberti

Stunt Coordinator
Even though it is only about half that budget I would recomend M&K S-150 L/C/R and rear surround with SS-150 side surrounds and 1-2 MX-350 subs. This would be an awesome setup for a theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks