What's new

Speculation/comparision of two $400 subwoofers (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Here are the options:
Adire Rava: http://www.adireaudio.com/rpd/rava.htm
Parts Express kit: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...ID=15171&DID=7
The second one is $50 cheaper, but involves some assembly, which pretty much evens the field IMO.
I'm pretty sure no-one here has heard both subwoofers, so this thread will be based mostly on speculation. I'm also pretty sure that more people would have heard the Rava than the PE kit.
My question, to those who know about these things - based only on the information available on the websites, does anyone have any opinion on how the PE kit would perform compared to the Rava? Informed guesswork and speculation is more than welcome.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
I'd go with the Rava, if I had to choose between the two. The Rava will go lower and I know the Shiva driver is very musical (my Shiva based EBS passive sub is beautiful with all types of music).
Saurav, if I may, can I point out another choice?
Contact Kyle at Link Removed and get a quote on their Link Removed, it has a Shiva M2 driver and you can choose whatever amp you want to go with it. Plus they'll paint it what ever color you'd like to match your decor (if that has any worth to you). Also they email you pics of how it looks while they're building it (nice little bonus). You can reach Kyle at 888-686-4823. They built my sub and I couldn't be more pleased with the performance. It's just awesome.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'm never one to shy away from speculation, as long as it's identified as such. :) Anyway, for some disjointed conjecture...
I'd guess that they'd "sound" pretty similar in-room, as they have a similar Qtc from what I can tell.
The PE amp uses about 6db of boost/eq to achieve its rated F3 (its "natural" roll-off in that box would be somewhere above 40Hz). This, combined with the advantage the Shiva driver has in linear displacement, and the fact that they use the same amp, would give a decided advantage in output to the Rava. The Rava would likely have more of the deepest bass, also, as the PE's infrasonic filter begins its rolloff at 30Hz.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
The Rava is an awesome deal considering you get a great premade cabinet, real oak veneer and a great driver.

If you are after a veneered finish we just cannot offer a custom kit that can match it.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Jerry, I should have added Acoustic Visions to that list, I'd been researching their subs too.
Kyle, thanks for posting. Real oak veneer isn't terribly important to me. If we set looks aside for a moment (of course, that doesn't mean we compare the Rava to an unfinished cabinet, but something reasonable)...
I'm never one to shy away from speculation, as long as it's identified as such.
Well, I officially give you and anyone else full permission to speculate freely in this thread :)
Thanks for that comparision. Do I understand this correctly... if I were to tweak the PE amp (or the crossover board in the PE amp, if I remember this correctly) to remove that EQ boost, then the Rava would certainly go lower and louder?
If that is correct, then my next question is: I gain extension and output by keeping the boost in. What do I lose? What's the tradeoff here?

Martice

Screenwriter
Hey Jerry. How do you like your sub? Yours promises to be a monster. Let us know what you think about it.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
If that is correct, then my next question is: I gain extension and output by keeping the boost in. What do I lose? What's the tradeoff here?
For the reason stated above, you don't gain any output from a boost, it merely serves to lower F3. It can severly lower headroom, as the woofer will likely be moving much further for a given program.

Let me also note that those who have much more experience than I much prefer the kevlar/pulp cone of a Shiva to the poly cone of the Titanic for its greater stiffness, finding this to be an audible difference.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I'd say so, and it's a ridiculously good value when you consider the components. The advantage the PE has, as I see it, is size.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Well, the Rava is $399 + S/H, which would be close to $449. From what I understand, the HSU is a much better sub for HT applications, but many people prefer the Rava for music, which is what I'll be using this for. That's pretty much why I left the HSU out, but yes, for HT, I think that would be the pick.

JerryW

Supporting Actor
Yes, any of the sealed Shiva based subs will sound better than the VTF-2 for music.
And yes, I'm going to post a review of my Shiva EBS monster very soon. I've just been taking a week to listen to it before I make my judgement. I say this though, so far it's been impressive. Very impressive.
Just a teaser...
How does 12.5Hz (in room) at 105dB sound?
Answer: Gut wrenching. :)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I always love it when I can help make people queasy :D
:emoji_thumbsup:
BTW, I answered Saurav's question about the finish options offline as to not try to "sell" on the bulletin board.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Actually, you can now get the VTF-2 for $425 shipped, but I certainly understand wanting a sealed box for music. I still prefer sealed boxes for music...I remember when ports were all the rage and some people treated me like I was crazy....sealed box bass just has a tightness and crispness to it that I love.
On a side note, can't low bass at high levels cause unwanted physical effects....like involuntarily crapping yourself? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks