What's new

Weekly RoundUp 4-8-2014 (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Posted Image

The Features

– Martin Freeman & Friend (The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug – 2013)

– Frank Sinatra & Doris Day (Young at Heart – 1954)

– Julia Roberts, Meryl Streep & Julianne Nicholson (August: Osage County – 2013) 

–Funny Face – 1957

–Sabrina – 1954

– Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation – 1962

The Prices
Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

DVDs  Amazon BestBuy Target
August: Osage County   $17.99 $17.99 $17.99
Bad Ass 2: Bad Asses   $19.53
Bamboo Saucer, The [Olive Films]  $22.98
The Big Valley: Season 2 $20.67
Cavemen   $22.98
Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded   $12.96
Cry Danger [Olive Films]  $21.21
Doctor Who: Series 2 Part 1 $12.96
Earthflight: The Complete Series   $24.96
A Field in England   $27.95
Grudge Match   $14.99 $18.99 $14.99
Hobbit, The: The Desolation of Smaug   $17.99 $17.99 $16.99
I Am Divine   $19.99
Justin Bieber's Believe   $19.99 $17.99
Lizzie Bordon Took an Ax   $19.54
Mayberry R.F.D.: Season One   $22.96
Nurse   $9.96
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones   $14.99 $14.99 $17.99
Snake and Mongoo$e   $9.96
Young At Heart [1954] [Olive Films]  $16.96

Posted Image
Click on the Amazon price to buy from Amazon and support HTF!

Any clickable link on a title listed below will take you to our own HTF review!

Blu-rays  Amazon BestBuy Target
The 400 Blows [Dual Format Criterion Collection]   $34.99
August: Osage County    $22.99 $22.99 $22.99
Bad Ass 2: Bad Asses   $25.49
Bamboo Saucer, The  [Olive Films]  $25.46
Bang Bang You're Dead  [Olive Films]  $25.46
Broadway Danny Rose  [Twilight Time] 
Cavemen   $9.96
Cocaine Cowboys Reloaded   $22.96
Cry Danger  [Olive Films]  $25.46
Earthflight: The Complete Series   $29.96
A Field in England   $25.46
Funny Face [1957]   $16.98
Grudge Match [Combo Pack]   $22.99 $22.99 $22.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [Combo Pack]   $22.99 $22.99 $22.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [3-D Combo Pack]   $24.99 $24.99 $27.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug [3-D Combo Pack with book ends]   $79.96
Holliston: The Complete Second Season   $16.98
Justin Bieber's Believe [Combo Pack]   $23.99 $22.99
Mr. Hobbs Takes a Vacation  [Twilight Time] 
Murph: The Protector    $22.49
The Night of the Hunter [Criterion Collection] $44.99
Nurse 3D   $19.99
Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones [Combo Pack]   $19.99 $19.99 $22.99
Sabrina [1954]   $16.98
Snake and Mongoo$e   $14.96
Touch of Sin, A  [Kino]  $29.99
Used Cars  [Twilight Time] 
Wild at Heart  [Twilight Time] 
Young At Heart [1954]  [Olive Films]  $25.46

The Disclaimer

Standard disclaimer: All prices are taken from the websites of each chain, or from their printed Sunday advertisements. All prices are subject to change by each chain. Prices and inventory in-store may or may not match the website price.

I, obviously, cannot include EVERY title released in a given week in the RoundUp. The titles included are those that I am interested in...as well as those which I consider will be of interest to a majority of consumers (and sometimes I’ll miss one!). I don't get paid for this, and I don't have the time to list every DVD. So, please don't complain! If there is a title not included in the RoundUp that you want to see, PLEASE just look it up yourself, and be nice enough to post and share the results with everyone!

Note that I cannot include Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club prices in the RoundUp. They set prices at individual stores based on nearby competition, so there is no way I can say here what price you'll find at YOUR local Wal-Mart/Sam’s Club location. And, Circuit City is still out of business...even in Hawaii (where they NEVER guaranteed their prices anyway).

The Specials

--Some new Twilight Time releases this week.  Get 'em here at Screen Archives Entertainment.

--At Best Buy, this week, save $10 on the Blu Combo Pack of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug when you also buy the LEGO The Hobbit video game ((PS4 $59.99/XBOX 360-PS3-Wii U $49.99).  Excludes the 3-D Blu.  Products must be purchased on same receipt.   

--Best Buy also has a deal to get 100 "My Best Buy" bonus points when you buy two select $9.99 Blu-ray titles.  Titles shown are:  Looper, Superbad, 21 Jump Street.  Additional titles to choose from in-store and online.

--The following recent releases are on sale this week at Best Buy (all DVD unless otherwise noted):

$7.99:  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.

$9.99:  The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu CP), Scooby-Doo!: Wrestlemania Mystery.

$12.99:  Scooby-Doo!: Wrestlemania Mystery (Blu CP).

$16.99:  Metallica: Through the Never.

$17.99:  Anchorman 2 (Blu CP).

--Best Buy Odds and Ends:  None.

--Target this week has an EXCLUSIVE BLU CP RELEASE of The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug.  Includes EXCLUSIVE cover art and a LEGO mini set containing a Legolas figure (with accessory kit).

--Target is also advertising some $15 titles this week:  Frozen (DVD), The Hunger Gamers: Catching Fire (DVD), Modern Family: Season 4 (DVD), Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2 (Blu), Barbie: The Pearl Princess (Blu), Gravity (Blu).  Those titles and select others. 

--Target has the following TV Shows on DVD on sale this week:

$13.99:  Mad Men: Season 6.
$14.99:  How I Met Your Mother: S8, New Girl: S2, Arrow: S1, Person of Interest: S2, The Following: S1, Pretty Little Liars: S3.
$19.99:  Grimm: Season 2, The Americans: S1.

$24.99:  Spartacus: War of the Damned: S3.

$27.99:  Psych: S8

--Target is advertising a FREE $8 in AMC Movie Cash to see Rio 2 (in theaters 4-11-14).  To get the movie cash buy select "family favorites."  Shown are Rio (DVD/$8), Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (Blu/$10), Epic ($10/DVD).  More titles eligible in-store.  also, get up to $5 off at TargetTicket.com when you buy 2 tickets to Rio 2 at amctheatres.com/Rio2.

--Target Odds and Ends: Lists of DVDs for $4.50 & $10.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
The Night of the Hunter being released again by Criterion?
Yeah. I don't know. I was wondering if, like the 400 Blows, it was a re-release with the dual format (Blu and DVD)?

I have Night of the Hunter...but am in the middle of some rearranging at the house and it would take me a bit to see if the original release was dual format.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There's a Hobbit Lego game coming out this week? Dang it...maybe I'll be able to deny myself the pleasure until Black Friday and inevitable price drop...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mike Frezon said:
Yeah. I don't know. I was wondering if, like the 400 Blows, it was a re-release with the dual format (Blu and DVD)?

I have Night of the Hunter...but am in the middle of some rearranging at the house and it would take me a bit to see if the original release was dual format.
Yeah, it's like 400 Blows. Those of us that already have the BD probably won't buy it again.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike Frezon said:

I reviewed both of these in the day, and, of course, they were not dual release at the time. There were separate Blu-ray and DVD releases. I'm sure these are just repackagings.

Thanks for the prices. I'll get Sabrina, Funny Face, and Young at Heart eventually.

And we're all waiting for Twilight Time to start shipping their releases. I'm slated to review Mr. Hobbs, Broadway Danny Rose, and Wild at Heart.

Thanks, Mike!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Timothy has posted up a review of the 2nd Hobbit film (on 3-D Blu-ray) tonight.

A link has been added to the OP.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's something interesting...at least to me! :biggrin:

I have had in my Amazon cart--for about a year--the Blu-ray of My Dog Tulip...an animated film released to home video on May 28th, 2013. It features the voice of Christopher Plummer...as well as Isabella Rosellini and Lynn Redgrave.

I've always wanted to see this disc...but it has ALWAYS been listed at $31.27. It hasn't even wavered by a penny or two.

Well, today, it actually dropped in price...to $27.47.

That's still not enough to make me pull the trigger. But why do you suppose this obscure animated film has held such a high price point for so long?

confused-smiley-004.gif

my-dog-tulip-poster.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'm pretty sure my Walmart weekly flyer has The Hobbit combo pack for $19.99 this week. Presumably a nationwide price, as my store has no competition and no incentive to offer hyper-competitive low prices.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Malcolm R said:
I'm pretty sure my Walmart weekly flyer has The Hobbit combo pack for $19.99 this week. Presumably a nationwide price, as my store has no competition and no incentive to offer hyper-competitive low prices.
Yes my local store had it for $19.96, and also the 3D version for $24.96.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
An addition, DVD-only: ZERO CHARISMA (2013)

Only available at Amazon, from what I can tell. A really great movie about realistic nerds. Trailer link.

Moises

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Moisés Chiullan
Mike Frezon said:
...why do you suppose this obscure animated film has held such a high price point for so long?

confused-smiley-004.gif
Three words, Mike: New Yorker Films.

Their stuff has always had stupid-high MSRPs that are the reason so few of us who actually would buy their stuff end up actually buying things. They can never justify it like Criterion Collection or Kino can, with superior presentation and extras. They've long bugged me in this respect.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moises said:

Their stuff has always had stupid-high MSRPs that are the reason so few of us who actually would buy their stuff end up actually buying things. They can never justify it like Criterion Collection or Kino can, with superior presentation and extras. They've long bugged me in this respect.
Thanks, Moises. I figured someone here would know! It has been a real curiosity for me.

Would you advise me to keep waiting...and waiting?

I guess it'll be along time before I see another price drop?

They must not sell much product... :biggrin:

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Amazon has matched Best Buy's prices for Sabrina and Funny Face at $14.99 each.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Moises said:

Moises:

There have now been two further price drops (on Amazon).

It was $31.27 for years. Then dropped to $27.47 on April 6th.

Two weeks ago it dropped to $23.28. And I see tonight that the price is now $22.34.

Hmmmm. Pull the trigger...or continue to wait?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Moises:

There have now been two further price drops (on Amazon).

It was $31.27 for years. Then dropped to $27.47 on April 6th.

Two weeks ago it dropped to $23.28. And I see tonight that the price is now $22.34.

Hmmmm. Pull the trigger...or continue to wait?
Another day, another drop.

Amazon now has it listed for $21.93!

What to do? :biggrin:

Users who are viewing this thread