What's new
World Wide Stereo

Speakers too close to side wall (1 Viewer)

garyttu

Auditioning
Real Name
Gary
All,

http://www.nwrep-intrepid.com/TheaterRoom.skp

Above is a google sketch up of my theater room. Basically my floor standers are far enough off the back wall (they are rear ported), but due to the size of my screen they are only 1'-2' off the side walls. I realize this presents a problem for reflections/acoustics. What is the best step if the speakers need to be this close? Should I line the lower 1/2 of the side walls with absorption materials out to just beyond the first reflection points?

Any thing else you all can suggest to improve sound?

Ethan Winer

Stunt Coordinator

Speakers are always too close to walls, unless you set up in a gymnasium. :D

So the standard advice applies here too. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners. More bass traps on the rear wall behind helps even further.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective.

--Ethan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks