What's new

Speakers to Jam With (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,
This summer I'm going to be building my own electronic drumset. Id rather not pay 500 bucks for a small system to play them through. I've already begun the search for a subwoofer, decided on tempest most likely, and now I need to look at mids and highs.
I will be mounting the drums on a rack made of aluminum tubing. On the rack I can probably fabricate my own speaker mounting system so that the two mid/high speakers are at 2 o'clock and 11'clock in respect to where I'm sitting. I would like something that can be loud enough to possibly jam with my band while playing in my basement. I don't need these speakers to gig with. It is also important these speakers can push some air, along with the subwoofer, so it feels more like im playing acoustic drums compared to electronic ones. When you're grooving and you can feel the drums then you're in the pocket and thats where every drummer wants to be. So these need to make the toms sing. So here is my question.

What is a very cheap/high performance speaker design for my application. Should I go with a 8" speaker and bullet tweeter? Would that be enough? Perhaps 2 smaller mids and a tweeter? These things can't be huge either. Take that into consideration. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks. Matt

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Do not use home audio speakers for PA applications. They weren't designed with that type use in mind. If you do this; you'll have cones sitting in the middle of the floor, and or fried voice coils

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>When you're grooving and you can feel the drums then you're in the pocket and thats where every drummer wants to be. So these need to make the toms sing.
====
I don't know of any suitable components package that can be had for $500, so if someone is selling speakers at this price for this app, jump on it as it's a steal.

GM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks