Speakers and mortgage

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by aaron plazma, Sep 29, 2005.

1. aaron plazma

aaron plazma Auditioning

Has anyone ever put together a home theater speaker package and paid for it with a construction loan while building a house? I guess if I was to sell the house I would take the speakers so Im not sure if I can funel the cost into my construction loan and have the bank reimburse me. I could probably get away with the surrounds since I could say they are attached to the walls. ANy ideas or comments?

2. John S

John S Producer

I do know people that have rolled all their home theater costs into loans for room additions / home expansions. Display, audio, seating, and everything.

Not sure about a new home from scratch though, seems it should be possible.

I mean who is to say where the line is if a home theater is part of the building project.

3. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Some builders have arrangements with home theater installers, electricans or other things to roll extras into the mortgage.

4. aaron plazma

aaron plazma Auditioning

the builder would be me.

5. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Many people take out extra money in a mortgage to pay for expenses when buying a new house. As long as you are not taking out more money than the house is worth, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

6. Shane J

Shane J Stunt Coordinator

Most mortgage brokers will not let you take out more money than what the selling price is worth...unless you do something like 103% financing or 106% financing.

If you do that though, your $10,000 home theater ends up costing $30,000 over the years.

I am assuming that when you are done, you will have some equity in your home. I would take out a home equity loan and build the theater with that. Then you can write off all of the interest on your following year's taxes!