What's new

Speakers and mortgage (1 Viewer)

aaron plazma

Auditioning
Has anyone ever put together a home theater speaker package and paid for it with a construction loan while building a house? I guess if I was to sell the house I would take the speakers so Im not sure if I can funel the cost into my construction loan and have the bank reimburse me. I could probably get away with the surrounds since I could say they are attached to the walls. ANy ideas or comments?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I do know people that have rolled all their home theater costs into loans for room additions / home expansions. Display, audio, seating, and everything.

Not sure about a new home from scratch though, seems it should be possible.

I mean who is to say where the line is if a home theater is part of the building project.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Some builders have arrangements with home theater installers, electricans or other things to roll extras into the mortgage.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Many people take out extra money in a mortgage to pay for expenses when buying a new house. As long as you are not taking out more money than the house is worth, they shouldn't have a problem with it.

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
Most mortgage brokers will not let you take out more money than what the selling price is worth...unless you do something like 103% financing or 106% financing.

If you do that though, your $10,000 home theater ends up costing $30,000 over the years.

I am assuming that when you are done, you will have some equity in your home. I would take out a home equity loan and build the theater with that. Then you can write off all of the interest on your following year's taxes!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks