What's new

Speaker Wire.. I hear it .. (1 Viewer)

ozric_smith

Agent
OK I it got some new N28's as fronts, and hooked em up with my Mega cables. I order some Kimer 4pr and just got it in today. I hooked up the center first and I swear the speach was more clear. The midrange is the most effected. Then I hooked up one of the Fronts with the Kimber and compaired the sound from each speaker. You can tell, the mega cables sound muddy and muffled in the midrange. I am sure it affects other areas as well. Now this is just with cheap speakers and cheap kimber kable. I am sure there is a point of dimishing returns, but I am happy. I got the speakers and the cable for as much as some place just sell the speakers. Try it yourself hook one front up with zip cord and the other up with somthing better, then get next to each speaker and listen. You can hear it and so can other people. Even in a blind test, not knowing which side had the better cable on it I bet people could pick it out every time. . BELIVE -----

Oh pluse they just look odd and people will notice them..... Sugar pill? I think not.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
that is a poor way to conduct an evaluation, running different cables to different speakers simultaneously, and then to have advance knowledge of the cable? Back to the drawing board my good man.

Tom_Kersting

Auditioning
I had a similiar experience with Kimber PR vs. 12 gauge home depot wire. I could hear tighter bass, even my wife could hear a difference.

Maybe Chu could draw the picture for us from his drawing board.... or let others come up with their own conclusions and opinions. Its worth a listen, let your ears decide, not others opinions.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I'm a recent convert to bi-wiring, though it is sort of on the topic...

Had 12ga monster speaker wire going to my Klipschs RF7s and center channel...

At first I was recommended to just replace the 12ga with some AudioQuest Type4 speaker wire, using the lighter gauge for the high side and the heavier for the low side...well I did give that a try but it SOUNDED thin! No depth to it to speak of, so I was looking around and saw that one on line dealer sold some speaker wire with connectors as one set, the AudioQuest Type4 for one speaker hookup, so I tied the heavy and lighter gauge together to make one cable and used that wire for the High freq side and put the 12ga monster back onto the low freq side of each speaker...THEN I listened to some music and the sound stage was a lot more OPEN sounding to me, more detail and bass was strong.

Not scientific but I could definitely hear a difference. While I was stripping the wires to fit on to the banana plugs I was LISTENING to a few cds to get to KNOW the sound, preparing to listen to them again in a few minutes, a very positive difference was made, BUT I am glad that at first I didn't hear a difference with JUST the Type4 all by it'self, only when I combined the 12ga monster for the low side did the speakers really come to life...

Now for the Botique Cables, I've not the income to really give them a try, but this small experiment showed me that there is a difference, take it as you will...

G2

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Tom: if you peruse some of my older posts, you'll find that I discuss the issues raised in cable evaluation: pitfalls, biases, limitations of human hearing, etc. I've no problem with people making up their own minds but to do so using flawed methodology does no one any good.

Klipsh speakers can indeed be biwired but Klipsh's own position on this matter is that it confers no advantage over running the same length of wire and effective gauge non-biwired. Their decision to have included this capability was motivated largely by marketing decisions and not by any actual sonic improvements. However the experiment to test the effects is rather simple to perform. If curious, I'll supply the details.

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Chu, I've read that about the Klipschs on their forum as well, but there was clearly a difference, to me at least.

It may be just the additional gauge of wire going out to each speaker, which bumps up the overall gauge running out, or the separate wires, can't tell and probably won't do much more experimenting as I like the sound it plays as it stands...

G2

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
no problem with that Gary. since you've got them biwired, take a look at the following link towards the end.
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=36013
have some friends over for some pizza and beer...oh, ok..soda, we don't need beer as the great equalizer and have some fun. its usually a good learning experience and in this case, level matching is not an issue.
cheers

David Judah

Screenwriter
Yes, Ozric, it is the same thing many of us have noticed.
Comparing them for yourself and living with the results is a good way to go, although it will surely raise the ire of the DBT'ers, who would have you spend hours jumping through hoops, so that your results would be stastically viable.
Since you are not publishing your findings in any scientific journal, and instead just want to know which wire sounds better to you, in your room, and with your equipment, you've taken a good first step.:)
DJ

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,

I'm also using type 4 on my Klipsch. I guess I'm using it in the standard connection configuration with one 19 and one 17 awg wire tied together to form a 15 awg. wire. I did this for both the positive and negative wires and then connected each to the lower posts of the RF-5's. Is this the way you had it connected or did you have the 19 awg. conductors going to the upper posts and the 17awg conductors going to the lower posts?

How do you have the amp side connected?

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Kevin, the First time, I had the thicker wire going to the Low side and the smaller gauge for the highs, so it was just one cable of the Type4 to each tower, a little weak, your setup sounds like a much better plan, but that stuff she be expensive!

Chu, I'll check that thread out in a bit, thanks!

G2

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gary,

I'm only running one speaker wire to each speaker, so effectively I'm only using 15 gauge speaker wire. I have been thinking about adding another run or just changing to a thicker gauge cable. You're right the Audioquest stuff sure is expensive. The fact that you heard a difference makes me wonder if I might hear an improvement also. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks